#41 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

another update:

Booked for engineers certificate on Monday afternoon
the guys said that programmable ECUs are deffinately Illegal and better off out of sight out of mind...

what a champ...

3pm monday...

wonder if i'll have enough time to drive to cardiff and get the struts fixed beween the emissions test and the engineer cert...

hmmm

thought so.

as i said before mate have EVERYTHING listed so the engineer doesnt have to go searching and find out something that he shouldnt have/you didnt tell him.

BTW a b4/any std wrx would pass an engineering test because the ECU is FACTORY, not aftermarket. as in was intended and was standard equipment that came with the car.

good luck to you mate, if your engineering fails give me a PM i'll give you the details of the guy who did mine.

MY07 GT spec B

#42 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

wonder if i'll have enough time to drive to cardiff and get the struts fixed beween the emissions test and the engineer cert...

hmmm

Unless they replace them for you, I doubt it.
Are the struts actually leaking? Because if they're just a bit firm or soft, I'm pretty sure they don't do a spring/damper rate test...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#43 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'm pretty confident your current tune will not pass the emissions test. It would be worth taking it to be tuned to pass the emissions test first.

My Tein coilovers were also engineered to be legal in NSW. The NSW engineering papers for my engine swap state that it's running the "Factory ECU" meant for the WRX engine, even though it was running an autronic plugin in the factory case at the time. They didn't do an emissions test on mine as they assumed it was on the factory ECU...

For your case, have a look at http://www.infrastru...pact/index.aspx

And hitman has a decent bit of info on his site here: http://www.hitman.hm/emissions.htm

#44 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'm pretty confident your current tune will not pass the emissions test. It would be worth taking it to be tuned to pass the emissions test first.

My Tein coilovers were also engineered to be legal in NSW. The NSW engineering papers for my engine swap state that it's running the "Factory ECU" meant for the WRX engine, even though it was running an autronic plugin in the factory case at the time. They didn't do an emissions test on mine as they assumed it was on the factory ECU...

For your case, have a look at http://www.infrastru...pact/index.aspx

And hitman has a decent bit of info on his site here: http://www.hitman.hm/emissions.htm

ditto with mine, its a factory wrx sti ecu.

the car only has to get tested against emission laws from the year of the car though is that correct??

MY07 GT spec B

#45 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

i dunno man... i think it'll be running well enough to pass the emissions test for a 1997 car... (it's a hellofalot more lax than the euro 2 [3?] emissions test that the 05 motor was made to pass)

btw:

an interesting read regarding the testing of exhaust noise...

http://www.comlaw.go...FRLI Mar 06.pdf

i wonder how loud 90 db is... or how loud 77 when driving is...

at this point, i'm just not sure if my car is past 4000rpm doing 5 in second...

if i get past the mics before the avls kicks in, then my (insane) intake noise might not be a problem...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#46 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

I'd almost place money on your car not passing the 1997 regs, I also wouldn't be suprised if they put you into the newer emissions catagory due to the age of the engine.

#47 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Tristan are u that thick or what, i told you a way around it get your old ecu casing gutter the inside of it and screw the new ecu inside it then screw it in the place where the ecu has to be, if they do check they will lift carpet see a normal looking ecu with numbers and shit and cover it back up they wont be opening them up.... or it might be worth while to get the guy who will engenieer it j a few extra $$$ to pass the ecu if its illegal in nsw, im not sure on the legality of it.... but good luck anyway on another note some off poops stuff is relevant most off poops stuff is just that poop or a better word SHIT.....
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#48 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

its exhaust noise testing, not intake

MY07 GT spec B

#49 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

the V88 doesn't have a chance of fitting in a stock ECU case.

#50 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'd almost place money on your car not passing the 1997 regs, I also wouldn't be suprised if they put you into the newer emissions catagory due to the age of the engine.

if his exhaust has all the stuff cat and crap then they will put him in the catagory of the new engine and if it complays to the emissions then there wont be issues. the carbon monoxied is in range and c02 and other stuff he has nothing to worry about there

the V88 doesn't have a chance of fitting in a stock ECU case. yeah lose the v88 casing and put it inside it looks like it would fitt. but ill get a closer look at it when i see Tristans car @ the meet next month...
Posted Image

#51 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

for a start the AMP Superseal plugs soldered to the PCB are taller than a stock ECU case, secondly the driver heatsinks are also taller than the stock ECU case and bolt to the V88 case for extra heatsink capacity... Maybe you should actually have a look at the dimensions and design of the ECU before commenting.

#52 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

for a start the AMP Superseal plugs soldered to the PCB are taller than a stock ECU case, secondly the driver heatsinks are also taller than the stock ECU case and bolt to the V88 case for extra heatsink capacity...

Maybe you should actually have a look at the dimensions and design of the ECU before commenting.

Well maybe you should give him some ideas instead of slaming down on mine... and if u really want a challange ill bet you i can make it fitt a stock Ecu case but not maybe one off a gen 2 or a Gen 4. the cars that i have done wiring on and installed aftermarket ECU all look factory including the wiring.

So please help or dont comment if u have no ideas to help....thanks :huh:
Posted Image

#53 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

I've already told him to go get the ECU tuned to pass the test. Easy as that.. Did you read any of my posts? If the engineer requires the emissions test for his report, that is the only way to pass.

#54 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

I think both of you are right, Jason the V88 wouldn't fit in a standard ECU case using the skills and tools available to most. Jovan you're at an unfair advantage when it comes to electricals, and i'm positive you could make it fit. But I doubt Tristan could get that done at this stage before the inspection. I thought programmable ECU's wouldn't have been such a problem, but if they're legal up here Tristan, take the route I told you, Al would be your guy to talk to on the ins and outs of our QLD regulations, and I find it hard to believe he would've installed an illegal...or non-accepted ECU. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#55 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

I've already told him to go get the ECU tuned to pass the test. Easy as that.. Did you read any of my posts?

If the engineer requires the emissions test for his report, that is the only way to pass.

yes i read your posts, and they will need to do a test to pass the car. but what i gathered is that Tristan is under the impression regardless of the tune on his ECU is that the ECU its self is ilegal. i myself am not sure of what is legal or not thats why im giving the boy some ideas... :D

Nik i could dig up and apply myself if Tristan wanted me to on saturday arvo and sunday to hide the ECU for him... a few wreackers i know are open on weekends and for $100 or so to get a bigger case is worth it, i think anyway.... just my 2 cents, and Nik you are right i am at an unfair advantage....lol
Posted Image

#56 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

A QLD Mod-plated car still needs NSW engineering if it's to be registered in NSW. When I brought my forester from NSW to QLD, I had to get it mod-plated in QLD as the 11 page NSW engineering report is worthless in QLD. When I've sold my other cars that I've done with QLD mod-plated conversions on to people in NSW, they've had to get the cars engineered in NSW to change the rego over. To make the V88 fit in a "factory" case, the best way is to take a new chunk of billet, mill it so the V88 board fits in up-side down with the appropriate height and stand-offs and holes for the AMP sockets. Ensure the heatsink has proper contact wth the base of the new case and drill holes for the heatsink screws, counterbore the outside face of the case at the heatsink screw holes so the cap head torx bolts dont protrude above the surface. Fit the PCB then screw the stock ECU lid to the newly milled alloy case. Quite a few hours worth of milling involved there, and a massive pain if your mill isn't CNC equipped.

#57 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well f**k me sideways and paint me purple. I agree with Jovan...
TSM

#58 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Well f**k me sideways and paint me purple.

I agree with Jovan...

WoW my reading must be off or something, but are u agreeing with me? thus will be a first..... :lol: :D ;)

A QLD Mod-plated car still needs NSW engineering if it's to be registered in NSW.

When I brought my forester from NSW to QLD, I had to get it mod-plated in QLD as the 11 page NSW engineering report is worthless in QLD. When I've sold my other cars that I've done with QLD mod-plated conversions on to people in NSW, they've had to get the cars engineered in NSW to change the rego over.

To make the V88 fit in a "factory" case, the best way is to take a new chunk of billet, mill it so the V88 board fits in up-side down with the appropriate height and stand-offs and holes for the AMP sockets, then screw the stock ECU lid to the newly milled alloy case. Quite a few hours worth of milling involved there, and a massive pain if your mill isn't CNC equipped.

that i agree with Qld plate and NSW engenieers certificates to be diff. but to have that much time as u a describing to fitt the V88 into a stock ecu case i find that hard to believe.....but i'll take your word for it...

Tristan Give me the measurments of the now stock ECU which is ur v88 hight x thickness x lenght, if u can and if u choose to go down this road... :P
Posted Image

#59 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Pull the bloody sticker off the current ECU. Put it under the false floor bash plate dealy. Tell MR.Engineer man that its the OEM ECU. Get Al to Verify. Pay $500 for the certificate. Pay rego. Drive car. STFU. Win Win situation. Everything else is a user certifiable modification. The engineer will want to make sure the brakes are up to scratch (They should be, GC8 WRX's had the same brakes. ) and that no engine/gearbox mounts have been modified, Which Al will confirm, But'd I'd be pretty confident in saying it will all be factory.
TSM

#60 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

Tristan Give me the measurments of the stock ECU hight x thickness x lenght, if u can and if u choose to go down this road... :P

Here's the dimensions of the superseal ECU socket used on the PCB, two 34pin sockets are used: http://ecommas.tycoe...437287-8_O6.pdf
The PCB is double-sided with surface mount components on the underside, the driver heasinks sit ~3mm higher than the top edge of the superseal connector. The actual PCB is not large at ~165x167mm.

If the heatsinks aren't bolted to a large piece of alloy like the Extruded Vipec case then you run a good chance of bricking his $2500 ECU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users