#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Gday Gents,

Here's a comprehensive list of the bulb types you will need to DIY the lighting on your Gen3's interior. Feel free to add anything or make corrections. This is what i have found in my Gen3 Legacy GTB, some differences may apply to Aus models and wagon/sedan.

Location                              Type                        Amount                      Notes

AT Pwr/Eco Switch               T3 Twist Lock             1                              T3 (8mm Base) For LED's use ones with a cylindrical diffuser for better light dispersion instead of the low profile square SMD.

Wiper Demister                     T3 Twist Lock             2                             T3 (8mm Base) For LED's use ones with a cylindrical diffuser for better light dispersion instead of the low profile square SMD. (JDM)

Rear Demister                      T3 Twist Lock             2                             T3 (8mm Base) For LED's use ones with a cylindrical diffuser for better light dispersion instead of the low profile square SMD.

HID Level Switch                   T3 Twist Lock            1                              T3 (8mm Base) For LED's use ones with a cylindrical diffuser for better light dispersion instead of the low profile square SMD.  (JDM)

Foglight Switch                     T3 Twist Lock             2                             T3 (8mm Base) For LED's use ones with a cylindrical diffuser for better light dispersion instead of the low profile square SMD.

Climate Control                    T4 Twist Lock             5                             T4 (10mm Base) Unit front cover will have to be removed to access 2 of the globe holders. (Cover removed via 4 small screws)

AT Gear Illum.                      T5 Wedge                  1                             Remove gear fascia

Glovebox                              T5 Wedge                  1

Ash Tray                              T5 Wedge                  1                              Easier to access with stereo out.

Cigarette L                           T5 Wedge                  1                             Remove stereo fascia.

Key Barrel Illum.                   T5 Wedge                  1                            Remove column covers, slide off barrel illumination unit.

Map Lights                           31mm Festoon            2

Puddle Lights                      31mm Festoon            2                            Stock item slightly smaller but 31mm will fit.

Roof Light                            31mm Festoon           1

Rear Cargo                         T10 Wedge                 1                            T10 Wedge however it is a big globe. For LED, use something with multiple SMD's.
Dash Cluster                       T10 Wedge                 4                             LED's don't provide enough light dispersion. Use a bright white normal globe for best results.
BFM Cluster Rings              T5 Wedge                   8                             Use LED's with built in resistors (Available from Jaycar)

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 ScoobyOutback

ScoobyOutback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Cars, especially Subaru's. Bit of golf, surfing and Top Gear.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Fantastic list man. Will be keeping this page handy for myself. Cheers

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I was thinking we could get a list for Gen1 and 2 aswell. Provided someone has the time and effort to run through their cars. Then we can put it all into one thread?

#4 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Awesome list, I've got all the festoon ones replaced, gunna grab some extra lights for the key barrel now  ;)

#5 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

This is a great list.

Is making something a 'Sticky' still a thing? That should be done with this.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#6 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Jim, real nice job you have done here !!

#7 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

My man!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

mah-******.jpg

#9 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Pics of the changed climate control led's if you can? :)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#10 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Still waiting on the LED's in the snail mail. Only figured that you could change them out the same day i put this together! I could only access 3 globes with the unit out and realised there has to be more for illuminating the rest of it. Pulled it apart and hey presto, 2 more globes. 

I then checked the size then ordered the globes. Should have the smaller T3's to re-do the switches tomorrow. 

I originally used these for the dash switches ( see below ) but they don't disperse the light enough and only half of the switch icon was illuminated.

China_T3_12_Volt_Vehicles_Boat_Dashboard
Unsatisfied with the finish of those globes, i had a thorough search and found this type below which i have ordered. If these don't work out, ill just have to use a conventional globe.

DSCF9158.jpg

#11 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

I'll be waiting for results :)

If you post some pics of it apart I'll owe you a beer or three.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

I'll pull it all out for you tomorrow night Cam and show you it's guts. (giggety)

Gotta pull the fascias off anyway!

#13 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sick ones!

I would love some bits to match my defi cluster (Looks so out of place with green everywhere else!)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#14 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Okay, so i'm not too happy with my results tonight. First i blew a fuse then i broke my stupid AT switch. Luckily it's stuck in "power".

The LED's with the diffusers worked well in the switches, however they aren't as bright as the short single SMD ones. The brightness is probably a little better than stock but not the brightness i expected. I couldn't use one in the HID level switch as it was too tall and the same again with the AT switch. 

I also discovered today for those with JDM Gen3's, the front windscreen defroster switch also doubles as the side-mirror heater! (Ups to Shiv for mentioning it may be the case). I still have a mystery switch is next to this very switch (behind wiper stalk). It's blanked off with no switch but there is a plug seated in the back of it with wires, would love to know what it's for, but i can't think of any other options it could of had. I thought maybe cruise control switch but since no GTB's or RSK's had cruise, i doubt they would have added it to the wiring. Only other thing i can think of would be sunroof but it seems stupid they would put it there. I'm stumped.

Anyway, here's a few pics on how to do the climate control lighting, requested by Cam. I haven't got the LEDs for this yet but will post pictures when i do.

Here's a pic of the top of the unit with 2 globe holders visable.

2014-06-10200318_zps9ed5fd92.jpg

This is the underside with only 1 globe holder accessible.

2014-06-10200336_zps1b89459e.jpg

Now, you need to undo the 4 small gold screws to remove the front cover. Pull it apart gently as there is a ribbon cable between the front cover and the housing. Remove this by gently lifting the white collar on the plug (front cover side). Ribbon should disconnect. To re-attach, insert the ribbon plug then pull the collar back down.

The other 2 globe holders are now accessible.

2014-06-10200608_zpsa90e0855.jpg

#15 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Quick one, looks like the mystery switch may have been for the optional rear cargo air purifier unit

#16 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I still have a mystery switch is next to this very switch (behind wiper stalk). It's blanked off with no switch but there is a plug seated in the back of it with wires, would love to know what it's for, but i can't think of any other options it could of had. I thought maybe cruise control switch but since no GTB's or RSK's had cruise, i doubt they would have added it to the wiring. Only other thing i can think of would be sunroof but it seems stupid they would put it there. I'm stumped.

That mystery switch you speak of sounds to be in the exact same location as where my old Outback had the VDC OFF switch. 

In the JDM market, "VDC" was actually a model/trim line. So you could get a "GT-B VDC" or a "Lancaster VDC". 

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#17 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Okay!

So i have finally finished with the lighting inside the car, i finally got there in the end after messing with alot of different globe and LED types. Also a pro tip for those playing at home. i found with the push button switches (Fogs,Demister) that if you disassemble the switch, you can remove the green light filter for better lighting. Here's how. 

1. Disassemble the switch, putting aside the switch body, as we are going to work with the button.
2. If you look inside the button body you will see the reverse side of the switch icon. 
3. Carefully push at it with a flat blade screw driver and you will pop the switch icon out. You should be left with the icon plate, separated from the switch body.
4. Carefully run your fingernail in the middle of the plate and it will separate into a few layers. (One switch had an extra clear tinted plastic filter, one didn't)
5. You will be left with the switch icon and the backing plate which will have a outline of the icon. Put the switch icon aside (The piece we see in the cabin when looking at the switch).
6. Carefully cut the red tinted part away from the tinted icon plate as we need to re-use this bit so the switch looks normal with on/off operation (This part is optional depending if you want the "on" indicator to illuminate red)
7. There will be a little bit of adhesive left on the red tinted part to replace back onto the cabin icon plate. Put this on in it's original place. You will now have the 2 layers back together, minus the green icon tint we cut off.
8. Using a very small amount of superglue, dab a few tiny drops on the button housing where the switch icon is normally seated as we removed the switch icons' adhesive with the tinting plate.
9. Press in the icon gentle and let the glue dry.
10. Reassemble the switch and we're done!

We now have the switches icon plate tinting removed so when we use an LED, it will be brighter and whiter. The instructions are a bit daunting but once you have it apart, it's pretty self explanatory.  If i get a chance on my next day off, ill see if i can find a dash switch from pick and pay and add pictures.

On to the next thing, i finished doing the LED upgrade on the climate control. Here are some pictures of the CC unit completed and with the switches lit up with the tinting removed. When i get time, i might have a look at the dash cluster and see if the green tinting can be removed easily from that also. Stay tuned!

Pics don't do the CC much justice but it definitely looks much better than stock. I'm not game enough to pull it apart further, as i don't think the unit has green tinting like the rest. The standard globes in it did have filter covers over the globes though. 

2014-06-14203508_zps92156c23.jpg?t=14027

2014-06-14203746_zps9777466b.jpg

#18 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Good effort mate. Looks sweet.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#19 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

The Circulation switch along with the Out.Temp are a bit washed out but it was the same with the standard globes, i think more to do with the design of the unit unfortunately.

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Question: Do the blackout clusters use T10 bulbs for the halo rings?

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users