#61 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

Probably around 150kw~. Is there any engine management?

tIeW8DE.png

#62 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

150kw at the wheels? I'd be happy with that result! 

Using https://lambdatuning.com/ software. Has some pretty good features now. I can datalog my AEM wideband sensor via usb. The only downside really is that not enough people seem to use it so comparing tunes and knowing how the software really works is a bit of a pain.. Ie. I haven't got the accel. enrichment sorted out very well with the bigger injectors.. 

#63 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

mm maybe not with only 5 psi actually

But a stock wrx with an exhaust only makes 130kw or so

tIeW8DE.png

#64 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:12 AM

The gearbox should be fine if you’re not clutch dumping it. A mate over Monbulk way has a SF foz running an EJ207 in front of the standard dual range box. It goes very hard, is very insane and the box is showing no signs of issues.

Interesting setup with the turbo! Did you do the yank up pipe trick from behind the engine crossmember?

And what’s with the two catch cans? I assume they’re catch cans.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#65 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:57 PM

I've been running a stock clutch and (now 330k old) DR box with no issues behind a JDM EJ208 (supposedly 205kW).  I did chip a transfer gear, but suspect that was due to a collapsed bearing or piece of the retaining ring on the viscous diff which broke loose.

No problems with it. Both clutch and box are holding up fine 100k after the swap.

Note that Josh did manage to blow up his engine with 220kw ATW on E85 (http://www.subyclub....an-outback-gtb/), and box was still alive.

I wouldn't be launching it in low range, though

#66 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

Hey Duncanm I thought that outback (urban gtb) was running a legacy turbo gearbox? He mentioned about having a 4.44 diff ratio? 

Also how badly did you chip the transfer gear? I have a spare 2007 forester dual range box that had a bad bearing. When we replaced it we chipped 2 teeth on the output gear/shaft when getting the old bearing off. I'm nervous about putting it back in but getting a replacement output shaft isn't looking easy. Jollys will only sell whole boxes! Plus its got female diff axles which I'll have to sort out.. 

El_Freddo, I'll keep an eye out for that SF next time I'm at my old mans, I grew up in monbulk! 

I made an up pipe that goes under the crossmember and up from some 2" SS. I'll try find a photo. The twin catch can system is basically identical to a mishimoto setup for a wrx. 1 can for the crank case and 1 for the heads. The crank case can catches a fair bit but the other doesn't. 

#67 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

I wrapped the up and down pipe together with exhaust wrap. So far nothing has melted on the firewall! 

20191019 124509
20191019 124446

#68 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

Hey Duncanm I thought that outback (urban gtb) was running a legacy turbo gearbox? He mentioned about having a 4.44 diff ratio? 

Also how badly did you chip the transfer gear? I have a spare 2007 forester dual range box that had a bad bearing. When we replaced it we chipped 2 teeth on the output gear/shaft when getting the old bearing off. I'm nervous about putting it back in but getting a replacement output shaft isn't looking easy. Jollys will only sell whole boxes! Plus its got female diff axles which I'll have to sort out.. 

Oh - re-reading the mod list, I think you're right about his box.

If you have a pull-a-part wrecker around, you can pop off the transfer cover pretty quick and pull the gear out.

My gear chip was pretty bad... see pic.

I bought a new shaft off partsouq.  Wasn't too expensive, even with shipping (just looked it up. Shaft & gear were $65, shipping less than $40 !)

Attached File  chipped.jpg   83.76KB   2 downloads

#69 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

Damn thats a fair chip! I just looked on partsouq and the output shaft is $270 plus shipping. I'll keep an eye out at pick-a-part, or a whole box from jollys i guess.. 

Anyone know what would be involved with changing to E85? I'm running 550 blue injectors and I think my GSS342 is compatible. I just don't know about all the lines etc yet

#70 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

Stock lines are fine. Youll need a lot more injector for e85. 

tIeW8DE.png

#71 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:02 PM

Awesome, yea for some decent power I thought the injectors would hold me back. Maybe i'll give that a miss... 

On another note, I found a dude who supercharged his 2008 outback (2.5, 5mt), ended up making 190atw! did a stack of dyno runs plus some reasonable launches with over 150atw. 

http://forum.liberty...hp?f=15&t=18309

#72 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:19 PM

Wow, how do you chip those gears? Are these the ones that come from the back of the centre diff up to the rear output shaft?

Neat exhaust work CRJ. I like the O2 sensor “mod”! :P

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#73 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

Wow, how do you chip those gears? Are these the ones that come from the back of the centre diff up to the rear output shaft?

it was one of two things. I had a bearing go on me - so maybe some lateral load killed it.. or more likely, the 'box noise started with a light ticking, then finally went 'clack clack clack' when the tooth broke. When I went to investigate, I found that the viscous diff retaining circlip had partially unwound itself (I'm guessing the start of the light ticking as it flicked on the case?), and finally the end had been munched by the transfer gears.  I think the circlip was the likely source, and the remains of the munched clip also killed the bearing.

Fortunately, all the bits seemed to remain in the transfer case area, so the main gearbox was spared any damage.

You can actually see the retaining clip hanging out in space in that photo, just to the left of the shaft in the background.

sorry to derail the thread a little..

#74 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

Haha thanks El_Freddo! That was a test fit before the first install which had the oil leak so the piping was re-jigged slightly so the turbo is horizontal. 

Cheers Barbachello, maybe I'll leave E85 for the next car. Thinking maybe a turbo ez30 wagon? Done before I know but at least it would have some decent power! 

#75 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:31 PM

Well after taking the spec b liberty for a quick test drive and testing out the clutch/gearbox by spinning all 4's on a decent launch (wet road but anyway...), my plans are now:

- finish de-lifting the front

- 6 speed conversion 

- ez30 install - most likely using a canbus emulator on the stock ecu for the VSS and ABS signals etc. I spoke to a local VASS engineer who reckons I don't need anything to be inspected as th EZ30 engine was a factory option for my car. Even if the engine is from a 2007 model and runs canbus. (I am going to try another engineer or 2 to confirm but it looks promising).  

Kicking myself for not buying Bobbyjimmy's outback earlier this year! 

#76 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

What you will find is that you’ll need to pass emissions if you add a turbo AND an intercooler. Do one only and you’re all good. Go figure!

Everything else from my understanding checks out correct.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#77 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yea the turbo bit is going to be interesting (if i do it..).

I'm considering the machined-piston-crown idea for some slightly lower compression, trying not to get too ahead of myself though! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users