• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

I have a frs 6spd transmission in my 97 imprezza and I'm having allot of rear end issues. First it's open from factoryou so I blew that up pretty quick. So I welded it. Then I broke the welds. So I brought it so a shop and they welded it professionally. Then I check under the car a few days later and there's a big ass hole in the diff cover. I just opened it up and it's not good. The carrier has split in half and all the crown gear bolts have loosened right off and the bolt are what smacked the cover. I've looked online and can't find and lsd's that are tough enough for under $1000. I'm wondering of the 2002-07 carriers will fit or even the whole diff but with my axles? I'm not sure how to go about this because if I just throw in another welded diff then it's just going to break again. What would you guys do?

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

get a bigger diff...

IFS toyota diffs can be shortened, shave 6mm off the side the extension bolts to and fit an oil seal.  Then you just have to mount it and work out drive shafts etc.

See here for this dude's efforts with his British V8 with IRS using a toyota diff

Then get bigger drive shafts...

Then get a stronger subframe (which would need to be heavily modded)...

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Sti r180 gear is the strongest bolt in stuff
So sti diff/hubs and shafts gd style onwards
A gd sti rear subframe will bolt right in also if you wanted a slightly stronger subframe

R200 probably would be the best setup for a rwd
But lots of custom modification

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Differential, Help, Rear end, Broken, Rwd, Rear wheel drive, Imprezza, Sti, Bolts, Frs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users