#41 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

Launch the B4 Harder! it will f**king cream an N/A in First gear if driven properly, you need to give it hell off the mark and youll take off with the wheels spinning and carrying on but f**k it will get moving :D I love doing it.

#42 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

This is getting ridiculous. There is just no way a 2.2ltr NA SOHC shit heap will ever have a snow balls chance in hell of even going close to keeping up with a 2.0ltr turbo charged car, single or twin. The only way you'll even keep them in sight is if you have brass balls and some good suspension. Even then, if you get to a straight bit of road its all over.
TSM

#43 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

yeh cheers.
on first gear were pretty similar but on second the B4 just shoots off where as mine just TRIES really hard. actually mines worse in first gear too, in both gears my car just becomes gutless after 5500rpm, which is normal aye.....

Huh? What are you talking about?

I think you might be a little biased as to how fast you think your car is. Time to stop comparing your 22 to the models with a bigger engine or a turbo. You'll need to get off your own band wagon before others on here start getting a bit shirty about what you're writing.

Go and test drive a turbo and then come back and read your posts. You might be embarrassed about what you have written.

#44 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

ohk, when i said tries really hard i meant as in it sounds like its trying really hard. i've changed my mind, it is not that fast, i actually tried to see how fast my car is today. i took it to this deserted street thats not heaps long but my other car a holden calibra would get to 100kays in half the street and my lib can only get upto 80 by the end of it!!!! i did do a stop start and a rolling start which still only got me to 80 and even in first gear today as i watched the needles, after 5000rpm it gets soo freaking slow, and the point where its shifting it takes like a whole second if not longer to shift.... i do regret what i've written even if it has been just 2 days and nothing new to compare to but i'm realising how slow it is especially with the test above. reason i thought it was fast was cause i had been drivin a 1.8 8v peugeot 306 and that things not fast at all. i did honestly think my first gear reved similar to the b4 but actually paying attention to the full throttle run today made me realise... i'm going to be able to drive a turbocharged car sooner than a subi. its a volvo S40t, produces 147kw stock can't wait but needs to be fixed up first then i'll give feekback

#45 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

OK, so back to reality here, my years of modding N/A cars proved good, from Fiats to Lada's, yeh don't laugh, my old Lada Niva would shit on most of your turbo cars, seriously, twin cam 2L fiat engine producing 200BHP, twin sidedraft dellortos, custom tuned length extractors, 3 inch exhaust, custom grind cams, modified oil pump, high flow electric fuel pump, electronic optical pickup ignition, plus 4WD. It used to put my mates highly modified KA turbo laser to shame easily, and when the road got twisty, well, see you later.

NA's can be modified heavily, don't be fooled, you could nail a turbo subaru, especially a stock one, with any decently built 2L twin cam, good examples are dattos, the old twin cam corollas, fiat twin cams, alfas, there are some very quick classics out there with no forced induction and serious HP. Sure you can't just wind up the boost or plug a chip in, but give them to somebody who really knows there stuff and you would end up with a schmick car.

Have a look at the red customers car in the photo gallery here http://www.fiatorque.com.au , a 265HP NA twin cam fiat with a lancia 2L engine, pretty good considering a 206kw STi or Legacy is 280PS and weighs quite a bit more than something like the car shown here.

Regards
Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#46 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

The biggest gains you will see with an NA Subaru would be in the tuning. I strongly beleive this. But I also Believe it will be very very hard to get more than 100kw@w out of them.
TSM

#47 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

The biggest gains you will see with an NA Subaru would be in the tuning. I strongly beleive this.
But I also Believe it will be very very hard to get more than 100kw@w out of them.

what do you mean?? isn't that how u can get more power out of an engine anyway?

#48 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

It's one way yes. If you read the post you just quoted. Its where I beleive you'll see the most gains. That said, the most gains could be SFA.
TSM

#49 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

quick noobish question: When i was checking my fluids the other day, i looked at my ignition leads and wondered if there would be any gain at all by having bigger leads? (dunno if biger is the correct term as i dont know much about ignition leads hence my question) Im guessing there would be a very very very small improvement, if none at all.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#50 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Unless they somehow magically injected ethanol or some other mystical 'fast juice', I don't see how it would make any difference at all.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#51 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

hahaha yeah thought so. Just a random question i had :D.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#52 Rob

Rob

Previously known as OriaDae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Unless they somehow magically injected ethanol or some other mystical 'man juice', I don't see how it would make any difference at all.

edited for correctness.

▀▄..▄▀▄..▄▀...█.................▄▀▀▄.............▄▀▀▄......................▄..............................▄▀▀▀▄
....█.....█.....█▀█..█▄█.......▀▄......█▀█.....▀▄.......▄▀▀▄...▄..▄...▄...▄▄▄...▄..▄...▄▀▀▄...▀...▄▀
..........................▄..█......▄ ▀▄...█▄█........▀▄....█▀▀.....█▀.....█...█..█...█..█....▀▄.........█
............................▀........▀▄▄▀.............▀▄▄▀....▀▀......▀.......▀..▀▀▀....▀▀▀..▀▄▄▀.......▄

#53 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

It really depends on the condition of the current leads. The thicker the conductive material in the lead the greater the ability to hold engery from the coil to the spark plug. In theory, a thicker lead can improve the performance (Note I did not say adds extra power.) and economy. Generally when talking about small displacement NA performance. Your going to be looking at improving things like Throttle response and extending the torque range.
TSM

#54 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

assuming mine have never been changed.........there farked lol. Would it be worth getting thicker leads or not? no-ones tried this?

#55 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

I have Topgun 9mm leads on mine. Do the spark plugs at the same time. It is possible that old plugs can wear out new leads and vice-versa.
TSM

#56 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

had new plugs put in last service so like 1000km ago, should be good. How thick are standards then? notice any improvement with the 9mm? assuming that there thicker.

#57 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

Nah didn't really notice an improvement. I've just always used them. I'm not to sure what the standard leads are, not 9mm in any case. With this sort of stuff, its a case of a collective of mods together to make an overall difference. It won't be a massive difference by any stretch of the imagination. Its like Drinking Coke/pepsi VS home brand.
TSM

#58 Rob

Rob

Previously known as OriaDae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Nah didn't really notice an improvement. I've just always used them.

I'm not to sure what the standard leads are, not 9mm in any case.
With this sort of stuff, its a case of a collective of mods together to make an overall difference. It won't be a massive difference by any stretch of the imagination.

Its like Drinking Coke/pepsi VS home brand.

In any case,

Couldnt hurt to have decent leads on your car.

▀▄..▄▀▄..▄▀...█.................▄▀▀▄.............▄▀▀▄......................▄..............................▄▀▀▀▄
....█.....█.....█▀█..█▄█.......▀▄......█▀█.....▀▄.......▄▀▀▄...▄..▄...▄...▄▄▄...▄..▄...▄▀▀▄...▀...▄▀
..........................▄..█......▄ ▀▄...█▄█........▀▄....█▀▀.....█▀.....█...█..█...█..█....▀▄.........█
............................▀........▀▄▄▀.............▀▄▄▀....▀▀......▀.......▀..▀▀▀....▀▀▀..▀▄▄▀.......▄

#59 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

yeah wouldnt be expecting any improvement really, just wasnt 100%. I guess ill get around to replacing mine soon lol

#60 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

h6 ftw :P
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users