Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#221 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:02 PM

Higher! Higher!!

Convertible shed next?

Looks like stuff might be progressing a bit quicker now!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#222 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:44 PM

Haha, nah, no need Bennie! Shed is already 2.7 high, and at 11m wide, the pitch puts full height at somewhere around the 3.5ish, still had a good 300mm at least, maybe even 500mm to the roof and the wheels were at a comfortable height for me even to work on.

Stuffs will certainly begin to happen now man!

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#223 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 08:54 AM

And it's started!

gallery_273_53_2129550.jpg

One corner mostly done. Haven't bled the brakes yet, but will probably wait until I've done all 4 before I do that. Was thinking that there probably isn't any point doing the rears yet as I still have to change the trailing and upper control arms when they rock up (I'd think judging their usual timings, probably in 3 weeks or so), so there's not a lot of point to putting bigger brakes on that are just going to get in the way for that job.

And just for size comparison, check this out!
gallery_273_53_2152449.jpg

277x24 vs 326x30
Just a slight difference lol

Anyways, until I get back into the shed tonight...

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#224 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 August 2023 - 07:23 PM

That’s a huge difference in brake size!

Any reason why you didn’t wait to do all the brakes at once when all bits that get in the way are present?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#225 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 08:18 PM

Main reason at the moment Bennie, mainly time, my shed time is fairly restricted at the moment, and I have to pull this car off the hoist again early next week to make way for a couple of others to get the last bits off them before they get scrapped. Realistically, this car should have been the last one to be put on the hoist, but I was way too keen on Thursday night and got ahead of myself 😂

That and an awful lot has to come off the arse end to replace all the arms, and I don't really want a bigger brake setup hindering my ability to access various bolts around the hub and upper arms.

Probably nothing overly much to be worried about, but I don't want to make life harder for myself either.

Cheers,
Ben

#226 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:21 PM

Another small update. The other side front has been sorted out. not quite sure how I'm going to go with the coils height wise, but hey. I'll deal with that later.
gallery_273_53_1394648.jpg

Rear coilovers have also been installed.
gallery_273_53_319701.jpg
gallery_273_53_4985854.jpg

Tried to set the rear coils to about the same height before I put them into the car. Fronts are just going to be a suck it and see sorta deal.

Tomorrow night will be putting wheels back on it and pushing it back into the corner of the shed in preparation for one of the wrecks to come in and be stripped of anything useful.

Bennie, I have a spare EJ20 and EJ25 NA setup here if you need any spares. You're probably the closest person I know who is running high km stuff, and will probably have a use for this.
Send me a message if there's anything you need.

List updated.

Anyways, time for shower and bed...

Cheers,
Ben

#227 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:18 PM

Cheers mate.

The only thing I’m chasing atm is a factory metal turbo oil return pipe that goes into the head. Seems subaru classifies this as part of the head assembly so it’s not available separately - and many ppl seem to bin them when they go to the AN fitting setup…

I’m chasing one for a project, if you know anyone that are willing to part with one they don’t want/need let me know 8)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#228 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:40 PM

Sorry Bennie. If they're on the NA engines, I'll have one, but I don't have any spare turbo engine stuff I'm willing to get rid of (not like I have spare heads anyway though lol). One of the other guys here might though.

Nothing much else happened last night, had a night in, as I had 2 little monsters to look after today, as Seb's cousin came across to us for a few hours as well. Might get out there later tonight, see how things go. Got a bit of a list happening for this week off, and I'll be trying to deal with all the non shed stuff tomorrow to clear out those jobs before tackling the bottomless pit of shed jobs.

Anyways. Enjoy fellas.

Cheers,
Ben

#229 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 08 August 2023 - 12:26 PM

Cheers mate.

The only thing I’m chasing atm is a factory metal turbo oil return pipe that goes into the head. Seems subaru classifies this as part of the head assembly so it’s not available separately - and many ppl seem to bin them when they go to the AN fitting setup…

I’m chasing one for a project, if you know anyone that are willing to part with one they don’t want/need let me know 8)

Cheers

Bennie

can have the one i pulled from my engine. Its a bit bent up and sad but yes they arent notoriously hard to get seperate. Probably needs some slaz to get it to seal up or a slightly undersized hole if youre drilling fresh

tIeW8DE.png

#230 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:02 AM

Had a few wins today, and somewhat a bit of a loss too.

The original outback that was the donor car for the wagon got picked up and scrapped today, as did the gen2 that was supposed to be the track car.

Coilovers work a treat, and despite being very low, still have good control and rebound with me jumping and bouncing on the car. So should hopefully be quite nice on the track.
Put the wing back on after finding out the other wing I have actually has broken mounts. Plans are afoot here as well, more on this once things get locked in properly.
Taillights and the rear garnish got put back on today as well, as it will spend some time in the back yard over the next day or two while I pull another car in to be stripped of useful bits. Bonnet was refitted and it's starting to look like a proper car again!
gallery_273_53_2079921.jpg

Now has the S401 strut brace fitted up as well. Really wanted to put the Ganador Titanium one on, but found out tonight that it fouls on the STi cooler, which is painful. So, the STi brace was removed from the wagon and the ganador one fitted to the wagon.
gallery_273_53_33357.jpeg

Turned the key and she started first pop, even with a half dead battery too. She's running a little rough at the moment, but she runs. Could be stale fuel, or any other myriad of things, but I figure it's gonna get a retune soon for corn juice, so I'm not overly concerned just yet. Still idles and everything, there's just a bit of a miss there. Can certainly say a Walbro is bloody noisy when there's no back seat or covers to provide sound deadening!

Anyways, time for sleep. Photos will be uploaded in a few days once I'm done in the shed playing musical cars.

Cheers,
Ben

#231 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 05:43 PM

Sounds good Ben! You’ve been busy in your time off which is a good thing!!

And thanks Barbs (all sorted with him)!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#232 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:26 AM

Oh yes. Busy is good though. I'm finding the days are flying though.

Another productive day today. Put an NA bonnet on this thing and put the turbo bonnet up inside the shed. Then drove it out of the shed and parked it up outside. Also finished grabbing the last few bits off of Chris' old wagon and filled it full of shit that was piled up from the conversion, old brake calipers, rotors, body parts, the list is large. Had to break out a few ratchet straps and my ratchet puller to move the outback, as while it still had an engine and drivetrain, the engine had parts raided recently, and was missing some stuff like throttle body. Way too much work to make it drive again, so just pulled and pushed it through the backyard. With 3 half flat tyres, this was not fun... But it's ready to be picked up and removed from the backyard tomorrow at some point. Would have left this toy in the shed were it not for some works that need to be done on the wagon...
gallery_273_53_14885.jpeg

Anyways, I'll update the wagon thread with today's happenings sometime soon. Until the rest of the nice bits arrive from Japan, there's not a lot I can really do on this thing bar bleed the brakes, but that is not high on the list at the moment. Hand brake works to slow and stop it running around in the yard.

Photos will be added in a few days once I'm done out here.

Cheers,
Ben

#233 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:36 PM

Photos have been put in. And so ends a flat out week off from work. Got heaps done, and I'm extremely happy with the progress of the cars.

Until the next post (more parts due in approx 2 to 3 weeks), enjoy!

Also won an auction for a boot lid with no spoiler tonight. Complete with garnish and tails. Gonna be on a slow boat over, might see it on 3 months...

Cheers,
Ben

#234 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:38 AM

Great stuff, Ben. 

It's hard to tell with the dust but from what I can see the paint looks reasonably good mate. What's the plan with the bonnet? Are you painting the turbo bonnet or going N/A with front mount?

Edit...Never mind, I'm reading this thread from the start to get back on track.

#235 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:12 AM

Cheers Kong, yeah, its got a good coating of dust from sitting in the shed for the better part of 18 months. Paint on the car is reasonable, got a few spots on the roof that the clear is starting to go, but the worst part is the wing, which is well and truly gone. I do have a spare wing with good paint, but the mounts are starting to crack... Not that it matters a whole lot, as the new boot coming and the fancy wing I have put a deposit down on will keep everything looking good. 
N/A bonnet is just on the car to keep it from getting damaged as a mate is gonna pick it up when we get around to finally catching up again and doing a parts trade. The turbo bonnet will find its way back onto the car. Will probably give it a brief lick of paint in the correct colour at some point as well, but that could be months away, certainly no time frame for it!

Had the majority of my next round of parts rock up for this yesterday. Will look into shed work over the next couple of weeks to get them fitted...
gallery_273_53_3198835.jpg

Still got the alloy diff mount on its way, stuck in sydney awaiting customs clearance by the tracking. Will fit the rear brembos once these are fitted up...

Cheers,
Ben

#236 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:41 AM

You have some great bits on this car, mate and I'm loving how this journey is panning out.

I really do love that dark metallic blue. It's such a shame the clearcoat doesn't hold up well to the Australian sun, the wing is usually the first to go. Feels like I repainted 3 different wings when I had BlueKong  :sarcastic:

Keep up the good work & updates, Ben.

#237 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:37 PM

Seems these Gen3 alloy arms are all the rage at the moment! Might have to get me a set just because…

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#238 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:42 PM

Seems these Gen3 alloy arms are all the rage at the moment! Might have to get me a set just because…

Cheers

Bennie

Only problem is the ABS sensor is different on the gen4, Maybe you can modify these to work with the gen3 sensor.

#239 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:50 PM

Cheers Kong, I really love it too, the way it turns purple in the right light is amazing, love a good colour change. But you're right, the Subaru clear absolutely hates the Aussie sun.
Not too fussed about the paint on this thing yet, as it's gonna be a trailer queen and spend 95% of it's time in a shed now, and the other 5% spent beating on it. It'll get a birthday at some point, maybe. Depends if I stack it or not. Kinda hoping not to of course, but stranger things have happened on race tracks.

Yea, they are a fairly interesting upgrade nowadays Bennie, although the gen3 never actually got alloy rear arms. The gen4 ones just fit with some machining for the different ABS sensors, removing a shiteload of weight in the process. And the joy I have, is I'm not going to be running ABS, so I don't need to worry about doing that extra work.

#240 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:53 PM

Hehehe Beckers. Nah I don’t need a set even though I’ve got the Gen3 I’m currently dailying. It rolled over to 486,000km in the driveway last night! It’s not pretty but goes well, I’ll only be spending maintenance money on this ride until we get rid of it or it completely dies…

Sorry for the hijack Ben!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users