• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 20 February 2022 - 02:30 PM

Ok lads, here we go... Pic dump...

The original photo from the gumtree ad that I bought it from

gallery_273_53_833671.png

Mid way through the shenanigans, just after the engine was pulled. By this stage we'd already pretty well fully stripped the GX.

gallery_273_53_404645.jpg

Outback sans engine, box and most, if not all the interior.

gallery_273_53_74606.jpg

GX with outback brake lines (original manual had hill hold etc that had to be removed), ABS module and full loom installed, including AC gear etc.

gallery_273_53_34169.jpg

H6 and trans fitted, and I'm pretty sure the gen4 brakes all round had been fitted by this stage as well.

gallery_273_53_262884.jpg

Bonnet finally closed and adjusted so its nice and flush!!

gallery_273_53_80203.jpg

Old drivers seat leather after removal from the seat itself.

gallery_273_53_302509.jpg

Midway through either reinstalling new leather, or removing the original leather from the cushions. Cant remember what stage this photo was taken.

gallery_273_53_10926.jpeg

Passenger seat after decent leather was removed.

gallery_273_53_35242.jpeg

Decent leather installed on drivers seat.

gallery_273_53_7739.jpeg

Decent drivers seat installed into the car.

gallery_273_53_100365.jpg

Had to change the arm rest on one of drivers door cards, as the original handle was very average, but the leather insert as in pretty good nic

gallery_273_53_359009.jpg\

Boot area after the black treatment to the carpet. LHS looks grey still, but its just the LED light I have - makes it look grey despite what it looks like in normal sunlight.

gallery_273_53_82338.jpg

Prova rear muffler courtesy of Chris. Had to be swapped onto the car early due to the original muffler being rusted out. Would not have passed roadworthy without this.

gallery_273_53_35189.jpeg

Giving the front guard a good birthday with some rattle can 01G paint. Looks ok there (probably 2 coats of clear), but looks better at the moment with 4 coats of clear on it. Once I get a chance, it'll end up with ~10 coats of clear, a good 2000 grit wet/dry sand, and a polish to bring the reflective properties back like the door. Bonnet will get this as well at some stage - probably the same time the new 401 front bar gets done.

gallery_273_53_200812.jpg

RX being used as a drying rack for all the interior pieces being done in black...

Duplicolor flat black vinyl dye and the appropriate adhesion promoter in the foreground - Wagon requires 7 cans of black and 2 cans of adhesion promoter if you want to do this yourself. Can get away with 5 cans if not doing the rear carpets, as they absorb this stuff ridiculously.

gallery_273_53_11279.jpeg

Black dash from the RX, red hazard button, and black plastics/visors. Black roof lining is coming, but didnt have the appropriate tools and space to do it while doing the conversion. Watch this space!

gallery_273_53_39616.jpeg

Finished car sitting on the road waiting for the trip to work the next day

gallery_273_53_96094.jpg

gallery_273_53_398214.jpg

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#42 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 22 February 2022 - 10:45 AM

Looks tidy!

Did you keep the manual with the H6 or retain the auto?

Massive effort and it looks good in the end!

Side question, how wide is your shed?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#43 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 12:22 PM

massive shed envy.

Was swapping the armrest a chore?  I've got a pretty shagged driver's side, but when I looked at it, it seemed to be held on to the panel with mushroomed/melted plastic studs.

#44 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 06:13 PM

Thanks lads!

Retained the auto, as there is no manual pin to tell the ECU that there is no auto gearbox.
I'd need to get new IACV and fuelling maps to get rid of the allowance for the torque converter. Which is doable, but I like the slushbox for daily duties... Even though manual would be amazeballs.

Ummm. Shed is I think 11x12m, it's huge and I love it. I have a hoist to install, but it's probably a good thing it wasn't for this weekend, cos it would be in the middle of the shed, which then means I can't work on two cars side by side.

It wasn't an absolute pain in the neck, but it wasn't the greatest fun around. All I did was drill out the respective plastic welds with a 13mm drill bit and then use a gas powered aldi soldering iron with a long tip to remelt the welds. I put some of the other door card Philips coarse thread screws in to help hold them in after, as the holes were about right for the thread size. When drilling the welds out you'll hear the brittle plastic when it cracks, stop there, otherwise you'll drill the rest of the support out. When you do it, you'll get what I mean.

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#45 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 February 2022 - 08:12 AM

Bloody good effort Ben!!

Good shed too btw. :)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#46 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Jase, wasn't just me though, credit to the rest of the guys who came down and helped throw spanners for a while.

Came to the conclusion these catch ups need to be done when there's not car stuff to be worked on. Just catch up and talk shit with the boys sorta thing. Good for the soul.

Pretty happy with how it all turned out. Still lots of little niggly bits to sort out, but I'll get there.

Cheers,
Ben

#47 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:49 AM

Came to the conclusion these catch ups need to be done when there's not car stuff to be worked on. Just catch up and talk shit with the boys sorta thing. Good for the soul. 

That's what the peanut gallery is for. Sink beer and tell the boys on the tools they're doing it wrong.

#48 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 24 February 2022 - 09:20 AM

There is defs a limit to the number of hands that actually help vs hinder. 2 or 3 total is best. Any extra and it just turns into a hang out sesh. Good for fun, bad for productivity 

tIeW8DE.png

#49 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:44 PM

Retained the auto, as there is no manual pin to tell the ECU that there is no auto gearbox.
I'd need to get new IACV and fuelling maps to get rid of the allowance for the torque converter. Which is doable, but I like the slushbox for daily duties... Even though manual would be amazeballs.

Yeah right, I’ve not heard of that before. I’ve seen guys buy H6 Outbacks and drop a dual range manual in them, add some lift and go off-roading without any issues, and they apparently got better mileage than the auto did (no surprises there). From memory they used some diode or resistor so the engine ECU thought the auto was still there, avoiding a limb mode situation.

Might be worth looking into. I’ll see if I can dig up the old thread from another forum, photo links are most likely dead though.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#50 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 09:07 PM

Found it. Pics still work, loads of chat in there but hopefully you’ll find what you want.

https://ausubaru.com...hp?f=26&t=22338

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#51 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 09:57 PM

That's an awesome treasure trove of information there! I'm not too fussed about the fuel economy after today's fill. 52.5l to 582km. Will take. Haven't been smashing it, but haven't been babying it either, so I figure those are good numbers.

#52 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 10:00 PM

A manual conversion isn’t about the fuel economy, it’s about getting all of the H6’s power and torque to the wheels by “deleting” the slush box. You wouldn’t believe how much the auto sucks the life out of the H6. One of my mate’s had Turboyota’s H6 converted gen2 with a manual box. It was nuts on and offroad!

Something to think about for a future mod ;) ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#53 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 07:06 PM

Yes, granted, but I've always thought auto fuel usage is higher than manual, and that is some of the best economy I've gotten in a gen3 period, considering that it's 30km trips to and from work, not one long straight one.

Manual may still happen down the track, but slushbox for daily duties is nice and slack, and I love it at the moment. The only thing I don't particularly like is the Prova exhaust is somewhat wasted on the auto.

In other news, Tim picked up my 401 front bar this arvo, so I'll have that in my hot little hands on Saturday, with the first coat of paint probably going onto it either that day, or maybe the sunday. Gonna be sweet!

Cheers,
Ben

#54 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:11 PM

I hope it’s not too humid to be painting on the weekend! I bet it’s exciting to have that so close to home!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#55 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:54 PM

Yea, I'm a little worried about that, but I'll see what the paint recommends. There was some details of ambient requirements on it, so I'll check them over before I make a start. Need to figure a method of removing the scoop and doing that at the same time, so I might end up swapping the GX bonnet back onto it while I work on the turbo one.

Yessir, I am absolutely itching to go get it Bennie!

Cheers,
Ben

#56 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 07:48 PM

So. Finally managed to get around to doing a long trip with her. Love this thing!

Jase, finally remembered to take a photo of the B4 wheel. Note the bluing. Yes, it needs a clean....
Attached File  processed-b3ef191e-2d9d-4092-ab35-72215546e31e_n0SwrvZe.jpeg   201.01KB   2 downloads

And the 401 rep front bar got picked up from Tim's today. Can't wait to get some paint on it.... GX bonnet is going on while I paint the front bar and the bonnet/scoop.
Attached File  processed-f92ee7bc-f3f7-40f0-9594-38877aa68869_oMYaWPzK.jpeg   85.08KB   2 downloads

Gotta wait for the rain to piss off though. Don't want to screw the paint up. Fog covers are going to be done in a gun metal metallic though, should contrast well against the silver.

Cheers,
Ben

#57 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 10:34 PM

I've never noticed the Momo had a blue ring on the B4's! IIRC the RX Special Ed were silver??

Glad your enjoying the car Ben. Such a good feeling enjoying something unique that you built yourself.

#58 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 03:48 PM

Slowly been working on the 401 front bar. White gel coat as delivered from Japan.
Attached File  PXL_20220313_052530999.jpg   156.74KB   2 downloads

Then partially done, after the first round of clear.
Attached File  PXL_20220314_045800030.jpg   143.78KB   2 downloads

Hopefully have it done and fitted to the car next weekend.

Cheers,
Ben

#59 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 06:27 PM

Looks sweet Ben.

That will really change the look of the car!

#60 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Jase, really looking forward to being able to bolt it on, I took the 401 bonnet off last night, and it felt weird getting into it this morning without the big lump in the middle. But once that's painted and refitted, it will completely change it.

Had to put the gold version 7 rims on last night too, as I found a front tyre with a screw in it. Biggest pain in the arse. Was hoping to get an alignment done before fitting them, but here we are.

Anyways. Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users