#121 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:22 PM

Managed to acquire some more bits last night. Small things. You know those fine black wood grain dash plastics? Well here's the rest of the set...

gallery_273_53_105420.png

gallery_273_53_231062.png

Every trim panel shown has the woodgrain. Pretty nice score. Never seen these come up before. Bloody happy to get them.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#122 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:27 PM

Managed to acquire some more bits last night. Small things. You know those fine black wood grain dash plastics? Well here's the rest of the set...

gallery_273_53_105420.png

gallery_273_53_231062.png

Every trim panel shown has the woodgrain. Pretty nice score. Never seen these come up before. Bloody happy to get them.

Cheers,
Ben

Don't think I have seen those door windows switches in that color before, nice score Ben

#123 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Simon, I've seen the master switch once before, but the rest of it, all I've seen them is in catalogues. Pretty bloody awesome I reckon.
Gonna be on the slow boat over, so stay tuned for proper pics in 3 months time lol

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#124 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:20 AM

I'm loving those trims Ben, they will look great.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#125 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Jase, really looking forward to them getting here hey!

#126 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 12:07 AM

Dash trims (the normal trims, not the fancy ones a couple of posts up) are due Monday I'd reckon judging by the tracking on them, but in other news, I've had to jury rig the hoist so I can use it tomorrow, as the jalopy has decided it wanted to either fowl a plug, or (hopefully not) shit a coil pack. Been running on 5 cylinders for the last couple of days. I'm hoping I don't need to raid one of the B4 coils, as I don't have any spares anymore.
But.
I have setup the generator in the shed and will give it a go at running the hoist. Not quite sure how it's gonna go, as the generator, whilst having a 15A outlet, only has a 2200W alternator. Not sure how big the breaker is on the front panel, but I suspect it might only be 10A.
The hoist motor is 3kW. Tipping the hoist isn't going to be running full load current, but...

See how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ben

#127 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 01:49 AM

Dash trims (the normal trims, not the fancy ones a couple of posts up) are due Monday I'd reckon judging by the tracking on them, but in other news, I've had to jury rig the hoist so I can use it tomorrow, as the jalopy has decided it wanted to either fowl a plug, or (hopefully not) shit a coil pack. Been running on 5 cylinders for the last couple of days. I'm hoping I don't need to raid one of the B4 coils, as I don't have any spares anymore.
But.
I have setup the generator in the shed and will give it a go at running the hoist. Not quite sure how it's gonna go, as the generator, whilst having a 15A outlet, only has a 2200W alternator. Not sure how big the breaker is on the front panel, but I suspect it might only be 10A.
The hoist motor is 3kW. Tipping the hoist isn't going to be running full load current, but...

See how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ben

Good luck Ben,

Hope it goes well with the hoist, I have my hoist running on a 10 amp plug, with no problems

#128 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Simon, I'm hoping it'll go well. Problem I'm expecting is the 3kW motor has a name plate current draw of 16.9A @ full load. Generator is only good for ~9.6A. Tipping I'll be tripping the breaker on the generator. And none of my breakers on the house are D curve breakers for motor starting. House has kitchen, laundry and outdoor power all on the one 16A circuit. Not holding out hope there either.

But.

3.5t hoist shouldn't be pulling full load with only 1.6t on it. My only real saving grace I'm expecting. See whether either source handles the startup of the motor.

Will know more soon. Just gotta put the shopping away and then go get some fresh unleaded...

Cheers,
Ben

#129 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Simon, I'm hoping it'll go well. Problem I'm expecting is the 3kW motor has a name plate current draw of 16.9A @ full load. Generator is only good for ~9.6A. Tipping I'll be tripping the breaker on the generator. And none of my breakers on the house are D curve breakers for motor starting. House has kitchen, laundry and outdoor power all on the one 16A circuit. Not holding out hope there either.

But.

3.5t hoist shouldn't be pulling full load with only 1.6t on it. My only real saving grace I'm expecting. See whether either source handles the startup of the motor.

Will know more soon. Just gotta put the shopping away and then go get some fresh unleaded...

Cheers,
Ben

Just checked my hoist, it only has a 2.2Kw motor.

How did you go today Ben ??  All working now

#130 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, that explains the 10A plug Simon! Judging by that, I'm tipping you have a hydraulic hoist?

Sorta got it going. Dodgy as. Wired up a 10A extn lead where the 15A one was so I could plug it into my makeshift power that I have out there (extn lead from an outdoor power point to the shed via catenary). Found out that the new motor doesn't like me much when I put lots of load on it. Haven't even tried it with a car on it. Motor won't spin up fast enough to bring the centrifugal switch in to cut out the start winding when going up, and I needed to push start it several times to get it moving upwards. Motor gets a little toasty as a result. Constantly going out on locked rotor, tripped the breaker out a few times with only the hoist and a 200W floodlight I use for light out in the shed.
Generator had no hope, stalled it out several times.

I think it has a lot to do with the motor bearings as well. The new motor is really tight to spin by hand and will almost instantly stop as soon as you stop spinning it. Compare this to the 3 phase motor I pulled off, the bearings in that are smooth as silk and it spins effortlessly for a good 20 seconds after you stop spinning it by hand. Add the extra load of a screw type hoist and it's just a bad day. Gonna cost 400 bucks for a VFD to run the 3P motor off a single phase supply, but I'm tipping I'll have zero issues after I do that. For the moment, I've given up on the idea of using the hoist this weekend.

Will bring the old girl into the shed tomorrow when Seb goes down for his nap and do it the old fashioned way with jack stands. Not going to be able to run it on 5 cylinders on the jack stands, but I'll just pull the plugs and check which cylinder is the problem child that way.

Bit of a dampener for the weekend, but that's cars.

Cheers,
Ben

#131 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 11:09 PM

Yeah, that explains the 10A plug Simon! Judging by that, I'm tipping you have a hydraulic hoist?

Yes m8,

You are 100% correct, my motor is only running a hydro pump connected to a big arse ram.

#132 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:54 AM

Well, found that I have a stuck injector last night. Pulled the exhaust completely after I stripped the drivers side manifold removing the front oxy sensor. Ran a tap back through the manifold to clean the threads and put my low km OEM sensor back in. Should be ok. For those who need to know, oxy sensor threads are M18x1.5

When I pulled the passenger side exhaust off, found the centre cylinder (can't remember if cyl. 3 or 4) exhaust ports were all wet and semi clean. Pulled the plug and same thing. All wet.
Explains why no misfire codes. It was firing, but cos the AFR was so screwed up, it wasn't actually burning.
So have removed the black steel cover from the passenger side rails and disassembled it, almost ready to remove the actual rail itself. Tim is being a god send and getting me some replacement OEM injectors, so hopefully it'll all be up and running mid week.

Hopefully this week gets better not worse.

Cheers,
Ben

#133 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:57 AM

Bugger about he hoist Ben. Sounds like $400 will be a good spend to get it proper sorted.

Was the injector suck open, or just not sealing when it closed? 

Weird it didn't log a miss-fire code, I would have thought yours uses the crank sensor to pick that up. Is there some sort of feedback circuit from the coils (wouldn't have thought so with a 3 wire coil)?

#134 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:23 PM

Yea, that was my thinking too. 3P motor will have a lot less issue starting and getting up to speed as well, especially when paired with a VFD. Can increase the starting torque nicely with that.

I'm not sure, but given it was proper fowled when I pulled the plug out, and sopping wet, I'm thinking it was stuck open. They're only 250cc/min injectors, so there wouldn't have been lots of fuel there to hydraulic the cylinder.

I'm very confused as to the lack of misfire codes, maybe it has something to do with the way it cuts when dropping back a gear. I just don't know how this system works in that regard.

But. I had a late school night last night and she's back to her former self. Also found the two front tyres were rooted, so had to swap the fronts over to a pair of my gen4 GT wheels with similar tread depths as the rears to try and keep the centre diff happy. Looks really odd with silver rims on the front and gold rims on the arse, but it'll give me a few weeks to sort out new tyres for it. Also need to get the alloy arms put on the front as the gel filled bushes are stuffed (same thing that happened to my B4, very inside edges are scrubbed out and almost down to steel belts, whereas the rest of the tyre is well and truly roadworthy. Painful, but here we go. That's why I'm putting on old tyres to extend my time frame, so I have time to replace parts and get an alignment done before putting tyres on it...

Updates are coming, but they may be a little while off yet. See how much shed time I get over the next month or 2.

Cheers,
Ben

#135 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 02:52 PM

Going on for issues, went to do fat friday with the guys at work, and had a battery light and brake warning light up. Thankfully I have a massive battery in this thing, alternator was stuffed. Managed to pull down a couple of my spare H4 alternators and find the one with the best brushes and transplanted the front bearing spacer and pulley. Not a perfect fit, as the H4 alternator housings are slightly different to the H6 ones. But at least I have a working alternator again.

Also fitted up the legacy number plate surrounds. Looks awesome.
gallery_273_53_5927547.jpg

Happened across a blue/black auto steering wheel in reasonable condition on yahoo, much better than the sunlight damaged one I have, plus it has the auto shift buttons, which I'll repurpose for audio controls once I find another clock spring with more cores. It's not perfect, but at least the blue leather isn't faded in any spots.
gallery_273_53_604407.png

Photos once I get around to uploading some.

Cheers,
Ben

#136 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 01:18 AM

Well, after a few hours in the shed re-wiring the hoist and changing motors back over (holy shit is that a mission when the posts are actually upright!), the VFD is hooked up and working a treat. Haven't put the belts back on yet, as I'd just heated the bejesus out of the pulley to get it back onto the 3P motor. Just got to speed up the ramp time, go through and program the setpoints in, and she should work properly. At the moment the reverse function and spin up is working no issues. See what happens when I load it up with the belts.

Been fairly limited in what shed time I get lately, but she'll be right.

Still gonna be waiting another 4 or so weeks for the rest of my goodies to come across from Japan.

Anyways. Time for bed methinks.

Cheers,
Ben

#137 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:13 AM

Hehehe, late one!

Things get easier in the shed time department when the youngest kid is at about 18 months. Add a new one and it’s back to basically no shed time again for roughly 18 months :P

Having the hoist back in action and not frying circuits would be a huge help! I could do with one right now but the driveway and car ramps will have to suffice…

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#138 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

Nice one on the hoist Ben.

I'm back to having shed envy!! :)

#139 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:47 PM

I'm hearing you there Bennie! Just starting to manage a bit of time recently...

Thanks Jase. Finally managed to make it work properly tonight. Threw the belts on it and put a couple of setpoints into the drive and ran it up. Need to go through the rest of the assorted setpoints to fine tune it a bit, and adjust a few more that I put basic info into, but otherwise I'm pretty happy it's working. With no load, 25Hz is pretty quick, so much so that I'd almost be concerned if it went that quick with a car on it.
Also got the 3 position spring return switch working for the up and down functions, which are wired in through all the interlocks as well, so if something happens to the chain between the 2 posts, it'll still stop etc. Upper and lower limit switches are all proven to be working as well.
Going to need to be a bit inventive for a high high cutout on the shed roof, but I have the parts and a plan for that. But that's a while off yet. As long as I'm smart about lifting, I shouldn't need it.

Will be putting it through its paces over the next week, with a couple of cars I want to put on it. One to get the last couple of bits I want off, and also to replace the lower arms on this beastie, and then put the track car on and put all the fruit I have sitting there waiting onto the damn car. Got a week off next week to do it all. Should be good.

Anyways, it's getting pretty late for a school night...

Cheers,
Ben

#140 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 10:10 AM

Some older posts updated with photos. Finally lol

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users