311 replies to this topic

#61 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

No worries mate! Glad you are happy with the result! They look a million times better. If you are really picky with these things, I remember now that I actually did 2 complete processes with the plastX- ie rub some on, take it off with a clean cloth and REPEAT to get the above result. Your car looks absolutely schmick now, I look forward to seeing it in person at the next Adelaide cruise. :D
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#62 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

... I remember now that I actually did 2 complete processes with the plastX- ie rub some on, take it off with a clean cloth and REPEAT to get the above result.

I must admit, I also did it twice - once before I washed it and once again after I waxed it. :blush:
Now only time will tell how long the effect lasts... I'm hoping at least as long as the wax.

Edit: I just went out to take some night pics.. I noticed I can still see smudge like soiling through the plastic, not as bad as before, but it's still there (inside perhaps). But glad you can't see it during the day none the less.

#63 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

Nice work mate. They came up real nice. Props to chadzzzzzzza :) Would it work on the foggies too? They can often look a bit yellow on the early gen3's too...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#64 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:11 AM

Mate, I used that stuff on every plastic light bearing surface I could find!!!! HL's, Fog's, rear lights and surround - "SUBARU" Even the little Logo on the grill got a going over...(not lit, but it was clear plastic) I haven't taken the HL's out so I don't know how big the access hole is when you swap globes, but if it's possible, maybe I could apply it to the inside as well, who knows... (???) At the end of the day, it's at least a 70% improvement... I was reading some other methods last night for internal cleaning that didn't involve unsealing the light, a couple that stuck in my mind were: 1) Baking Soda and water: take the globes out, pour enough mixture in to cover the surface you want to clean, do a bit of swishing, soak for a few minutes, empty, sun-dry or use hair-dryer till there isn't any trace of moisture... 2) CLR and water: pretty much the same process as above. However I don't know what CLR does on clear plastic - I'm a little sceptical of this one. Maybe ok for glass.

#65 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:16 AM

P.S. I ordered some clear side indicators yesterday too! :P ;)

#66 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

Thats it mate- you may as well give up now....the MOD BUG has well and truly bitten with your RX....there is no way back now! :flag_of_truce: :D
14.2 @ 158kph

#67 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

Tell me about it... ;) I must have gone to 3 different auto shops yesterday... more than once mind you... I'm trying really hard to repress my obsessive compulsive tendencies and tell myself "It's just a car....." However I'm losing the battle... Do you guys have a counselling service? Or is that what you call "Cruises"?? ;)

#68 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Nah cruises just make it worse....You see what other people have done in the flesh and it makes you want what they have even more!! The only cure I have found for this insidious disease is to drive something that is gutless, has no character, has a badge starting with K and ending in ia. Then you lose all will to live, let alone modifying!
14.2 @ 158kph

#69 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

Well, if you'd be so kind as to encourage my condition, could anyone tell me if I can get these replaced? Genuine Subaru?
Posted Image

I really don't want to go to China:
eBay Alternative?

#70 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

mate, its like you new car has all the same issues as my old Outback had! The centre caps on the outback went exactly that same as that^. I ended up getting 2 replacements through subaru, they weren't cheap though! $30 for 2!! :dash2: I needed them to make the car all pretty to sell it!!
14.2 @ 158kph

#71 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

I realize it won't make it go faster... :scratch_one-s_head: But making it pretty is about all I can do at this point... Who is your dealer of choice in Adelaide?

#72 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

I had Sti center caps on my RX, they looked hawt ;)

#73 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Just to recap on headlights......
Before Chadza's advice, I went asking for new and 2nd hand prices...
New from Subaru: $554.31 EACH!!!! ($1108.62 pair)
2nd hand: $250.00 each (any Liberty from 99-01 will have the same headlights).
So $25 for a bottle of PlastX is 2.25% of replacing new, or 5% of replacing 2nd hand. Well worth the investment. :)

Subaru also told me Floor Mats from a MY04 Liberty would be a "good fit" for my car, I don't know if that means they WILL fit or they will ALMOST fit? Regardless, they quoted me $140.65 for the set (ex-Sydney). :scratch_one-s_head:

#74 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

any Liberty from 99-01 will have the same headlights.

they changed model mid 01 tho so any MY01 :)

#75 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

take centre caps off take to paint shop get paint matched up. get paint put into pressure packs (aerosols) prep centre caps. paint. profit.

#76 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

they changed model mid 01 tho so any MY01 :)

Ahh ok. Thanks.

take centre caps off
take to paint shop
get paint matched up.
get paint put into pressure packs (aerosols)
prep centre caps.
paint.
profit.

Thanks Alex,
Any idea how much that would cost? (just curious)
Obviously less than $60?

#77 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Ahh ok. Thanks.

Thanks Alex,
Any idea how much that would cost? (just curious)
Obviously less than $60?

Last time I had a pressure pack made up at my local paint shop, it was about $20-30.

Worth it, in two ways.

More cash in your pocket.
Satisfaction you've done it yourself.

Don't forget a little prep work with some sand paper. bit of 1000 or 1200 grit to get it up to spec.

#78 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

Cheers Alex, I haven't taken them out, but obviously they aren't alloy..... are they??? I mean for the paint to strip/peel off like that could it be a case of the wrong paint for the surface?? My next question would be: How do I get them off? From behind and push out? Take wheel(s) off? Doesn't look like I could get a flathead in there to pry them out from the front..

#79 Marty S

Marty S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:cars for sure.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

yea the best way is to take your wheel off and jsut push them out rather than risk prying them out and damgaing them. Marty

Posted Image

#80 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

OK, another obscure question: Do those gas strut things for the bonnet really help? Mine is heavy, but I'm sceptical how much difference struts would make? Anyone got them? Recommend them? Avoid them? If recommended, is there a standard for Gen3's? Supplier? Thanks for any info, D. Update: 1) Clear side indicators installed today. 2) Window tint scheduled for Thursday. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users