• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#41 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

They're just the same as the original ones but a different plug insert sorta thing. The old cover is different to the new cover at the back.

Ok, I get ya now. Fuckers... What a PITA.

#42 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I currently have the whole dash off just having a bit of a look at what LEDs I need to replace the old bulbs in the dash.

:)
Is it looking simple?

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#43 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Haha a bit. I know there's 4 big t10 bulbs I need to replace. And all the others in the dash Idk about. And I think the 5 aircon ones are t4??? If I want to make the dash and that blue or red, do I just need to replace the lights? Or is there something else that will keep it looking the green colour?
[03.SUBY]

#44 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

In most places it's just green LEDs but yeah in places, especially the instruments, there may be green parts for the light to project through. If you search ozliberty, I'm pretty sure there's an ancient thread about replacing the lights in a GEN3. There's no red on my dash, that was just red colouring on the dials.

A big thing to watch is getting the replacement LEDs bright enough, I've seen guys replace the LEDs and the instrument cluster is dark as....it'll get picked up quick as by cops.

I'd just go search for that thread, i'll look for it too. It was a good DIY as I remember.

Nick

EDIT:
DIY Thread OzLib
Doesn't help much, but look through the chatter and see if they can help with which bulbs to replace etc etc

EDIT:
Read that the instrument cluster panel in a GEN3 Lib is painted green, except for the B4. So maybe light sanding or some manipulation is needed. If you're real dedicated to the cause and you can't rectify the panel, do a lot of research and find if a B4 instrument panel will fit. I think you should be sweet and able to fix your panel colours yourself.

#45 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Ok I know how to unassembled the dash so when my lights turn up I should be able to get them in and re assembled easily. The only trouble... I accidentally ordered 6xt4 bulbs in RED instead of BLUE... So now I have to wait again to get the blue ones sent to me. But atleast it'll be easier now I know which screws to take out and which panels to sorta pry off.
When I had the dash off this Arvo I took the little blue/green plastic covers off the bulbs. I just turned lights on then, and it's all lit up a light yellow colour(besides the clock and hvac display). Looks a bit different.
[03.SUBY]

#46 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Oh good, then it's smooth sailing.

Nick

#47 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

New pioneer head unit arrived today, sounds awesome(lots more depth to the sound, even with the stock speakers)...
Posted Image
[03.SUBY]

#48 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

4300k HIDs in, just need to aim the headlights down a bit and should be all good.
[03.SUBY]

#49 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Did you change the dash lights to leds? Were they just a direct plug in?

#50 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

HU looks awesome. How much did u score it for? And what model is it?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#51 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Very nice choice of headunit, I was considering that in my Liberty a few years ago. Morgan its this.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#52 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Did you change the dash lights to leds? Were they just a direct plug in?

I waiting to get the LEDs for the dash off eBay. They cost between $5-$10 delivered. Once I put them in I'll post pics. I put the 5xt4 LEDs in the hvac unit and it turned out awesome just need to replace with blue LEDs to go with the head unit..
[03.SUBY]

#53 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

HU looks awesome. How much did u score it for? And what model is it?

Yeah like shiv linked it's a pioneer fh-p6050ub. Has USB and aux which is great. I'm using it with the normal speakers still (about to hook up an amp to a sub, then an amp to the speakers), it is really good to be able to adjust the audio way better than the normal head unit. The lights on it are really blue especially at bight but a button allows you to turn off the lights whilst the music still plays which is a really good advantage. And I got it for $255 delivered from eBay store futureelectonics(Sydney)
[03.SUBY]

#54 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I waiting to get the LEDs for the dash off eBay. They cost between $5-$10 delivered. Once I put them in I'll post pics. I put the 5xt4 LEDs in the hvac unit and it turned out awesome just need to replace with blue LEDs to go with the head unit..

Cool. Any pics?
Ta

#55 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Cool. Any pics?
Ta

I'll take some pics of the red hvac lights tonight and when the blue ones are in I'll take some snaps of them too..
[03.SUBY]

#56 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Finally installed HIDs. They are 4300k low beams and are way brighter and whiter/bluer than halogens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, here are some pics of the red LED lights in the HVAC unit (sorry i do not have a before picture), I will be replacing the red ones with blue as soon as they arrive from hong kong! Another week or so. Sorry for the poor picture quality, Im using my iPhone..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
[03.SUBY]

#57 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Looks a bit like a disco at the moment! Will be good when the blue ones arrive!
You doing the dash ones as well so they're all the same?

HIDs look good. I've got the 4300k in mine too and love them :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#58 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Looks a bit like a disco at the moment! Will be good when the blue ones arrive!
You doing the dash ones as well so they're all the same?

HIDs look good. I've got the 4300k in mine too and love them :)

It does look a bit queer... but yeah once the hvac lights are blue to match the headunit should be all sweet.

And with the dash, ive bought 4 replacement t10 leds off ebay to replace the 4 that are in the back of the dash, but there are a heap of other little lights (that must be the warning lights/indicator lights etc) that im not sure if i need to replace or do i just need to replace the 4 big t10 ones? I also would like to do the ciggarette lighter input thingy blue and also the ignition hole light, to replace the green ones.

I have tried to get to the ignition hole light but to no avail.. (i couldnt work out how to get into it)...
[03.SUBY]

#59 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

LED's look like they have "hotspots" (certain areas where its brighter in places) which is typical of their installation.

The novelty of the idea is OK, but I must say, it does cheapen the look of the car somewhat.

You must remember, Subaru designed the lights to be green so that it is easy on tired eyes.

The red (and later the blue) will irritate the eyes, especially with the hotspots.

Keep the originals ;)

#60 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

LED's look like they have "hotspots" (certain areas where its brighter in places) which is typical of their installation.

The novelty of the idea is OK, but I must say, it does cheapen the look of the car somewhat.

You must remember, Subaru designed the lights to be green so that it is easy on tired eyes.

The red (and later the blue) will irritate the eyes, especially with the hotspots.

Keep the originals ;)

It looks pretty bad in the pics but when your in the car it looks a lot better. If I don't like it, or if it is too much of a strain on my eyes, I can always go back to the originals. I'm just doing a bit of CHEAP experiment, until I have the funds (and licence) to play with turbos and add-ons...

If it looks crap I'll defs change it back,
[03.SUBY]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users