529 replies to this topic

#61 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

The novelty of the idea is OK, but I must say, it does cheapen the look of the car somewhat.

The red (and later the blue) will irritate the eyes, especially with the hotspots.

I have seen it done dodgy in cars and yes it did cheapen the look of the car, but when done properly it looks great and actually improves the looks, the interior needs to be the right match though, some cars just don't have the interior to pull off a change in lighting.

I never found the blue to hurt my eyes, even on big trips. But it depends again on the way the lights have been installed. I would have to agree though, any instance where the light is bright in one spot and dimmer in another will definetely strain the eyes.

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#62 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

My Subaru's dash is green. The SS white.

I profer the clean looking White to be honest. Its no harder on the eyes.
One thing with the green though, is it's more visible when there is glare on the binical.
TSM

#63 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

I need to get some of these LEDs too I think, I like it. My headunit doesn't match the green interior too well either.

#64 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

LED's look like they have "hotspots" (certain areas where its brighter in places) which is typical of their installation.

The novelty of the idea is OK, but I must say, it does cheapen the look of the car somewhat.

You must remember, Subaru designed the lights to be green so that it is easy on tired eyes.

The red (and later the blue) will irritate the eyes, especially with the hotspots.

Keep the originals ;)

While hotspots are not ideal, red right is actually the best colour to have for interior lights. Our night vision is not affected by red light nearly as harshly as any other light - look it up.

From Wikipedia:

n biological night vision, molecules of rhodopsin in the rods of the eye undergo a change in shape as they absorb light. Rhodopsin is the chemical that allows night-vision, and is extremely sensitive to light. Exposed to a spectrum of light, the pigment immediately bleaches, and it takes about 30 minutes to regenerate fully, but most of the adaptation occurs within the first five or ten minutes in the dark. Rhodopsin in the human rods is less sensitive to the longer red wavelengths of light, so many people use red light to help preserve night vision as it only slowly depletes the eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods and instead is viewed by the cones.

#65 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Actually now that you mention it, the AIF uses red lenses on torches at night so as not to dazle other soldiers.
In saying that, couple little LED's aren't really going to dazzle you.
TSM

#66 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

I too believe everything Wikipedia tells me :P

Haha but in all seriousness, all interior lighting in the SP20 is a red/dark orange colour and is very easy on the eyes

IM47Gcv.jpg

#67 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well that red light thing is actually correct.
TSM

#68 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

sweet

#69 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

red is gay.

hth

#70 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Also, here are some pics of the red LED lights in the HVAC unit (sorry i do not have a before picture), I will be replacing the red ones with blue as soon as they arrive from hong kong! Another week or so. Sorry for the poor picture quality, Im using my iPhone..

Posted Image

Posted Image

I take you didnt buy the ones i suggested... They dont look bright enough? Cheap ones?

Mine look brighter...

Posted Image

#71 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

In most places it's just green LEDs but yeah in places, especially the instruments, there may be green parts for the light to project through. If you search ozliberty, I'm pretty sure there's an ancient thread about replacing the lights in a GEN3. There's no red on my dash, that was just red colouring on the dials.

A big thing to watch is getting the replacement LEDs bright enough, I've seen guys replace the LEDs and the instrument cluster is dark as....it'll get picked up quick as by cops.

I'd just go search for that thread, i'll look for it too. It was a good DIY as I remember.

Nick

EDIT:
DIY Thread OzLib
Doesn't help much, but look through the chatter and see if they can help with which bulbs to replace etc etc

EDIT:
Read that the instrument cluster panel in a GEN3 Lib is painted green, except for the B4. So maybe light sanding or some manipulation is needed. If you're real dedicated to the cause and you can't rectify the panel, do a lot of research and find if a B4 instrument panel will fit. I think you should be sweet and able to fix your panel colours yourself.

Heres a DIY for you... INSTALL LED's for BE/BH dash / interior

#72 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

New plates arrived today, I think they look alright, maybe a little colourful, but I like them...

OUTBACK 2.5L
Posted Image
Damn P-Plates....

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. Also INSTALLED new wiper blades! Probably my best upgrade yet :)
[03.SUBY]

#73 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

the plates suit mate. nice one. so what next??

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#74 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

^Turbo conversion, then he'll have to change the plates again :sarcastic:

But yeah, plates look good. Still not a fan of the rims, but each to their own. Whats next?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#75 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

the plates suit mate. nice one. so what next??

Next... As soon as the LEDs arrive off ebay i will be able to install them in the dash so it will be all blue. I have tomorrow off so i might think about going into supercheap and purchase some Brake Caliper Paint.
I was thinking trying to get the same colour blue or very dark blue as the number plates, but am more heading towards a silver or black, I painted my old Honda Civic's calipers RED and it looked cool, but not on this...

She's going on a little trip up to Brisbane tomorrow arvo and coming back Sunday night so might have to wait until next week.

Other than that, Im open to suggestions!... Im out of ideas
[03.SUBY]

#76 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

^Turbo conversion, then he'll have to change the plates again :sarcastic:

But yeah, plates look good. Still not a fan of the rims, but each to their own. Whats next?

Yeah turbo conversion... haha thats a little while away yet.
Im getting a little sick of the rims, do you think a different colour would be better? powdercoated/silver/gold???
[03.SUBY]

#77 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Nice plates! They look great!
Probably would've gone silver on black or something but hey!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#78 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

P-plate holders...

Shoved in P-Plates look lame imo.

Posted Image

#79 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

P-plate holders...

Shoved in P-Plates look lame imo.

I have some but they dont fit on the slim ones at the front. Magnetic?
[03.SUBY]

#80 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yeah turbo conversion... haha thats a little while away yet.
Im getting a little sick of the rims, do you think a different colour would be better? powdercoated/silver/gold???

Nah not really to be honest. The low profile tyres make those large wheel arches seem even larger. And whilst you could just get bigger wheels for them, you'd then be stuffing up whatever off-road ability the Outback has...and that would be a shame because believe me - they're great fun off the beaten track, and I'm aware there are some great tracks up your neck of the state.

Stick to original Subaru wheels. Not only because they maintain the correct offset, but because they'll look right on your car too. If your on a budget, the original Forester GT rims can be found cheap, and then you can powdercoat them whatever colour you want to give it a more aggressive look.

But whatever dude, good to see you having a bit of fun with your car thats the main thing B)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users