Photo

Head Gasket Failure! What to go with now?

Head Gasket

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

So the verdict is in, the head gasket has gone on my new Foz.. I have orgainsed a family friend to do the work for me over a couple of weekends but I am now wondering what gasket to replace it with. I was going to go a genuine XT gasket but iv been told the STI ones fit and are a better way to go. I have also looked at going an aftermarket one but not sure of good brands/manufactures.

http://www.licmotors...06-wrx_20002145

I stumbled accross this and I am wondering if this may be a good option? Theres a few different thicknessess but thicker would be better wouldnt it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ryan.

#2 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

thicker doesnt mean better. you need to do a calculaton to determan what compression ratio you want to run. lower compression will effect how the car runs. best to speak to an expert i say

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#3 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ryan,

1) Avoid aftermarket headgaskets. General consensus is that they're more trouble than what they're worth, and I know lots of people running stupid power figures using just the standard STi MLS (multi layered steel) head gaskets with brilliant results.

2) In terms of ordering new parts: I found this website absolutely a wealth of information in terms of ordering parts and what not. For information pertaining to your Forester, click here. According to this website, it says you require one of four head gasket part numbers. I'm not sure which year model yours is, but its just a guide so that you have an idea what to order when you order parts.

Also helps having some exploded diagrams, and you can also see what other sundries require ordering too :)

Hope this helps

Alex

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

don't go aftermarket. if the car is fairly standard stick with OEM stuff. car is tuned to run a certain compression ratio which can be altered by changing hg thickness. get the heads shaved/serviced (Servicing is optional depending on km), new head gaskets, new head bolts (don't reuse old ones) and put it back together.

get the gasket kit off here: http://www.risingsun....au/Service.php to suit EJ255 motor (quote your model when asking)

also, just curious on how you came to the diagnosis of HG failure?

MY07 GT spec B

#5 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

don't go aftermarket. if the car is fairly standard stick with OEM stuff. car is tuned to run a certain compression ratio which can be altered by changing hg thickness. get the heads shaved/serviced (Servicing is optional depending on km), new head gaskets, new head bolts (don't reuse old ones) and put it back together.

get the gasket kit off here: http://www.risingsun....au/Service.php to suit EJ255 motor (quote your model when asking)

Was overheating and changed the thermo, got the system flushed and bleed. Still overheating and the overfolw was overflowing and had a heap of bubbles showing up in it. Took it to a family friend who is mechanic and after looking at it and what the overflow and the header tank water levels where doing he determined it was a head gasket. I trust his verdic and he said we could do a TK test to 100% confirm him but in his honest opinion it has failed. He would rather not have to replace it and he is doing the work for next to nothing so makes me trust his judgement even more. Think I will just run the OEM gasket and new head studs, seems to be the way to go

Ryan,

1) Avoid aftermarket headgaskets. General consensus is that they're more trouble than what they're worth, and I know lots of people running stupid power figures using just the standard STi MLS (multi layered steel) head gaskets with brilliant results.

2) In terms of ordering new parts: I found this website absolutely a wealth of information in terms of ordering parts and what not. For information pertaining to your Forester, click here. According to this website, it says you require one of four head gasket part numbers. I'm not sure which year model yours is, but its just a guide so that you have an idea what to order when you order parts.

Also helps having some exploded diagrams, and you can also see what other sundries require ordering too :)

Hope this helps

Alex

Yeah cheers Alex, will start reading through this now.

#6 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

yea, the bubbles in the overflow are a very good sign (my original EJ25 from RX lib did this)

MY07 GT spec B

#7 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Just give Subaru your VIN number and get a genuine VRS kit... Atleast you know its all right.

Dont stuff around with, oversize, undersize stuff.

Your motor is standard and will run fine with standard stuff
MY02 Liberty B4

#8 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Found this one on ebay from the states, seems to be genuine and It saves me $100 or so. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

#9 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

just cross check the part numbers and check it out

MY07 GT spec B

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Head Gasket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users