• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:K20A
    B18C7
    B16A
    ^Headgasket issues? Nope.

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, she will be in the hands of Scotty and team soon.

But solid signs suggest it is the gaskets. Bubbling coolant, exhaust sweet like a candy shop....

#22 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

It's funny how sometimes how easily the head gasket goes, and other times when you think it's cooked you get lucky.

In my case I was on a big trip away and the coolant hose on my turbo blew and pumped nearly all my water out. I only noticed the temp gauge when it was already maxed out. After pouring in what little water I had in the car we limped the car into town with the gauge just under max.

Once I diagnosed and fixed the problem I kept driving for hours hoping for the best. She took almost 5 litres to fill up so there wasn't much in there. When I finally returned home from our holiday I flushed the system and she was sweet. I got lucky, really lucky. I'm amazed I didn't cook the engine.

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#23 K.Tonic

K.Tonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
    B18C7
    B16A

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, another thing to keep in mind aye. 

Glad to hear you had a fortunate miss, could have always been worst that's for sure.

I guess I am extremely fortunate the coolant didn't pressurise anytime from my trek from Adelaide to Melbourne. I don't even want to imagine what to do there..,

Considering I only popped 1 hr before home, I can say I am very fortunate. 

From what Scotty has discussed, quite certain its the head gaskets. My cousin didn't know that Subarus don't produce chocolate milk in the engine oil with gasket issues. 

I will be using a stud conversion as well whilst I'm at it. 

Now, its just a waiting game until Thursday. 

#24 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

I had my EJ22 working hard in soft sand at about 4500rpm for 4 or so minutes with the temp gauge at 120*C. I thought it was well done. At the time I was running antifreeze/anti boil. If I stopped we would've lost the car to the tide. I also managed to freeze the block. Long story. Three years later I get my AC working and pop goes the gasket two days later >:(

If you haven't bypassed the heater core I'd be trying that out. Make she the thermostat is literally in upside down and that it's a genuine unit. Actually being a turbo the hot side of the thermo should face the rear of the car depending on the water pump design as I'm not 100% sure with your later model vehicle.

If you do pull the heads make sure you don't have a cracked head or even worse a cracked cylinder (seen that before on an extreme ly over headed EA82).

Also make sure your cooling system is properly bled! I warm it up without the cap on, topping up as necessary. Once warm cap goes on then lift the front right wheel to get the air up to the radiator with the engine running for a bit. Return to flat ground and let it cool down.

Once cool enough, check the coolant level in radiator and coolant overflow bottle. Top up as necessary. Got for a decent drive of at least 20mins then let cool, check rad and coolant over flow bottle levels and again top up as necessary.

Finally a week after use once again check both levels and top up as necessary. Them you're done in my opinion ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#25 K.Tonic

K.Tonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
    B18C7
    B16A

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

Thanks mate. Will be very helpful in the near future.  However, I am yet to even hear of the car until next Thursday as its at the shop now. Thursday is when the engine will be pulled out. Will update on condition.  

#26 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

Thanks mate. Will be very helpful in the near future.  However, I am yet to even hear of the car until next Thursday as its at the shop now. Thursday is when the engine will be pulled out. Will update on condition.  

Any update yet ??

#27 K.Tonic

K.Tonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
    B18C7
    B16A

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

Aye, was a ridiculously hectic week for me with interviews, exams and assignments.

Anyway, Scotty got abit overwhelmed with services last week and a few engine jobs.

What I know so far with the car:

-Will see it back sometime next week 110%

-Heads are machined

-was told there wasn't anything terrible with the block/internals.

All this going off a quick phonecall asking about an update last week Tuesday.

Will keep posted in the next week. 

#28 K.Tonic

K.Tonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
    B18C7
    B16A

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Wish to inform all reading that she's off to start her new life with a granny driver. 

Cheers for the recommendation to Ichiban. Scotty has been such a legend in getting this pita job done.

In summary:

-machined heads

-Subaru Genuine MLS headgasket

-ARP 2000 Studs (A must; for all my future EJ's anyway)

-Rocker cover gaskets

-New Rear seal + Sports Tuff clutch

-Bits and pieces here and there with general maintenance. 

I had been driving this car for hours during that interstate trip, but after all this now, feels like a different car. 

Rest assured she will be well looked after and fully stock during my time of ownership. Even had a couple blokes nearby ask if its for sale!  :sarcastic:

#29 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

Good to hear

You will want to chase power eventually
The 207 is a tough motor!
You just got unlucky with overheating haha

#30 K.Tonic

K.Tonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
    B18C7
    B16A

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, so apparently I am to believe  :sarcastic:  

Nah in all seriousness, I'm glad to add another one to the NSW pool. I rather have this experience so I know what I'm dealing with. Cant learn if everything is perfect and dandy right?

I'm sure theres someone as hungry as I was in searching for these ones. 

Just was abit let down by the previous owner. 60 000kms over 8 years of driving 'normally', clutch was done -.-

Bulletproof reliability is what I prefer, but maybe down the line when I do, what is commonly done to these cars?

#31 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

It's usually just turbo, exhaust, injectors and a tune
Maybe an intake if your aiming over 200kw

Vf34 would be a small upgrade
But you would be better off with a gt pumps s02 or a Blouch dom 1.5xtr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Head gasket, overheating, ej207, wrx sti 2005, radiator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users