#102 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sooo...

Some of yuou might be aware that I've been banging on about selling the Lib and getting something different.

After having a good hard think about it, chatting to the missus, family, e.t.c. I've decided that the Lib is staying.

Not too sure what I was thinking really as it's quite a good car really. However, there's a few things that I'm looking at to try and make it an even better car.

Few questions:

1. What are the best springs to use with my Billies. I'd like to lower it a little bit as the Billies have raised the ride height.. Keep in mind that I don't want too harsh a ride, just a nice height to fill in the gaurds, like what Kings deliver from standard struts.

2. This one is really left of field but bare with me. When cruising at 100kph in 5th, the engine spins at just under 3000rpm. I honestly believe that the car would cruise more nicely at around 2000rpm and improve highway fuel consumption and crusing comfort. Is there a way to acheive this? Do I need to have a 6th gear or can I get the ratios changed on the current 5MT? Or, am I just being silly?

3. Has anyone found of a way or head of a way to make the steering rack both tilt and telescopic, instead of just tilt. Seriously guys, how much better would this make the driving position in a Gen3?

4. If I was to humour the idea of a single turbo conversion, what sort of $$'s am I looking at? The whole thing from go to whoa with decent components.
Don't get too excited lads, just investigting at the moment!

5. Anyone know any good paint shops in Melb? I want to get my front and rear bars, skirts resprayed and a few other things touched up all over the car... Might even contemplate a full respray at some stage. (If conversion went ahead, it would be after that of course).

ah good to see your keeping her, with all the servicing you've had done to keep the car so efficent and clean it nearly seems stupid to give it up :)

with the cruising at 3000pm could changing the tyre size help this?

turbo conversion probably speak to AM autos

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#103 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

3000rpm!? Are you sure man, it should be more like 2200rpm, IIRC thats what my old POS used to do at 100kmh. I'd budget 10k if you were to pay someone to do it. Just as a rough figure and for the WRX deal. (I'm sure someone will confirm.)
TSM

#104 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

yours was an auto though, from my experience they rev lower...

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#105 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Wouldnt bother converting it buddy, just buy a B4 for 15k :P

15k for a POS with heaps of k's and needing converting to single and new suspension, brakes, seats, blah blah blah... By the time I bother getting rid of my car, which is a great base, to a car of questionable history and build it back up.... No thanks.

ah good to see your keeping her, with all the servicing you've had done to keep the car so efficent and clean it nearly seems stupid to give it up :)

with the cruising at 3000pm could changing the tyre size help this?

turbo conversion probably speak to AM autos

Changing tyre sizes will only help marginally. Already sent a message to AM.

3000rpm!?

Are you sure man, it should be more like 2200rpm, IIRC thats what my old POS used to do at 100kmh.

I'd budget 10k if you were to pay someone to do it. Just as a rough figure and for the WRX deal. (I'm sure someone will confirm.)

Yup. No idea why! Even after having it for 3 years, I still sometimes check that it's not in 4th gear on the freeway! It easily cruises along at 1800 to 2200 rpm, so I don't know why the final ratio is so short.

#106 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Mine sits on about the 3K mark @ 100. Those Teins are for a GTB. So they will be right for the Billies although the spring rates may be a fraction different due to being for a wagon, although i dont think this would be of too much concern.

OEM+

#107 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thanks again Mark, you're a wealth of knowledge. Any idea what sort of ride height these will give compared to what I've got now? So, I've also ordered a few other things... 1. A new Liberty badge fro the rear, the old one was all crappy and the "L" fell off when I was trying to clean it! 2. From and rear chunky mud spats. Will be picking them up from Subaru tomorrow. Don't ask how much! I could have probably gotten them all for cheaper, but I wanted them now.

#108 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

Need a relatively quick answer here! Will STI Pinks fit nicely with my Billies and drop it to a good level?

#109 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

yours was an auto though, from my experience they rev lower...

Dude. Its in the final drive.

My auto was 4.11
Chris' is 4.11.
Should rev the same. Chris, clutch not mcfugged?

Unless the gear ratio's are homosexual, which wouldnt make any sence at all.
TSM

#110 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Dude. Its in the final drive.

My auto was 4.11
Chris' is 4.11.
Should rev the same. Chris, clutch not mcfugged?

Unless the gear ratio's are homosexual, which wouldnt make any sence at all.

Gear ratios will be totally different between manual and auto.

Clutch is fine! It's relatively new.. Had it put in when I did the solid flywheel conversion.

Spoke to Al about it and he said that the 5th gear in them is **** and the only way around it would be to go for an STi 5spd which would spin at about 2500rpm, or to go for a 6spd, but they are more designed for the current 2.5's.

#111 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

that rpm is normal chris. my old rx did the same rpm at that speed.long drives down to coffs i would cringe if i ever sat on 125kph.. rpm would be like 3,400 rpm.. the gen 2 lx auto i had before the rx, sat on around 2,500 rpm at 100kph... the b4 sits on 2,900 at 110kph.. or roundabouts.. nice :) and that new plastic console stuff you grabbed... man, im kinda jealous. how much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking. im going to keep my eye out for one.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#112 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

that rpm is normal chris. my old rx did the same rpm at that speed.long drives down to coffs i would cringe if i ever sat on 125kph.. rpm would be like 3,400 rpm..

the gen 2 lx auto i had before the rx, sat on around 2,500 rpm at 100kph...

the b4 sits on 2,900 at 110kph.. or roundabouts.. nice :)

and that new plastic console stuff you grabbed... man, im kinda jealous. how much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking. im going to keep my eye out for one.

Good to know mate!

I'll either have to live with the gearbox or change it. Dunno...

Yeah the console trim should look the goods. All up it's $150 delivered. I think that there were a couple on there, so have a good look around!

#113 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Just bumping this cos ther eare more people online now and I want to know if STI pinks will suit my Billies and what sort of ride height I'd expect compared to Teins. Looks like Teins are more of a progessive spring right?

#114 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Are they Pinks made for the Billies or for STi struts? I have bought STi pinks from Japan made for the Gen2 Billies drop it 30mm (genuine factory option I believe :D )

OEM+

#115 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Not sure mate...

These are the pinks.

http://www.importmon.....tle=STI Pinks

#116 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Buy them NOW. That is all. :D

OEM+

#117 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

I know! I want to but I'm not sure whether they are for billies or not!

#118 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

Clarify with Shane as he has an RSK the equivalent of a GTB. The pinks are listed as for the B4 which may not get the Billies like the RSK. But Shane (legacy rsk) should know.

OEM+

#119 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Good idea, thanks!

#120 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

b4 turbo is a b4 rsk no different. tein springs are the same for wagon and sedan no different....shane

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users