27 replies to this topic

#1 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm only new to the forum but I thought I'd share with you my WRX project car.

I bought it in stock form back in early April, a week before I got my full licence. It had relatively low kms on it (14000kms), which is why I bought it because the paintwork was in pretty bad shape. It looked good in photo's, but not in person.

So I bought it, drove it around for a few weeks before it went into the garage where it stayed for around three and half weeks. We prepped the car ourselves for paint, and had it sprayed professionally in a booth in the same Subaru Blue. When it rolled out of the garage it looked pretty shmick. She's not perfect, but she looks a thousand times better than when I bought it. With the sti spoiler and tinted tailights I think it looks pretty good, though I have plans for the car that will change it quite a bit.

I recently installed a new aftermarket sound system in the car with lots of help from motoboy, who is also on the forums. Vibe speakers and amps with a pioneer double din head unit, and soon it'll have two Clarion subs in the back. I also now have a set of Lenso 17" rims and an Invidia N1 catback exhaust on the car, which you'll hopefully see when I take some more up-to-date pictures of the car. Sitting in my room at home I also have some new slotted brake rotors, king spring lows, and I'm waiting to get some braided brake lines and KYB AGX fully adjustable shocks in the mail. It should feel like a new car to drive when its all installed.

Plans for the future:
  • Aftermarket Up-pipe and downpipe
  • Front mount intercooler
  • Possibly a bigger turbo
  • Aftermarket bumpers and skirts
  • Then a dyno tune :)
  • Then who knows :P
I'm also considering by a high stall torque converter, since the car is an auto. I was born without my lower left arm so I have no shift hand to drive manual, but one day I'll find a way to do it. I've driven a manual, I'm just not allowed to drive one on the road. Which leads to a nice little mod that motoboy and I came up with; making an auto look like a manual.

Hopefully I'll have more pics and updates soon,

Cam

Attached Files

#2 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

More WIP pics

Attached Files

#3 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

After paint :D

Attached Files

#4 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

With the new wheels and Exhaust

Attached Files

#5 motoboy

motoboy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

good work so far it should be one nice looking wrx in the end thanks to some good mates helping you work on it

#6 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Before and after :D

Attached Files

#7 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

Nice mod.
Car is looking great.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Welcome mate. Car is looking good!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Paint looks awesome!

Get rid of that brant before it decides it doesn't want to work anymore and leaves you stranded!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#10 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

The brant has already been disconnected :)

#11 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Tops!

Looks awesome!

Posted Image

#12 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Welcome to suby club mate :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#13 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

Boxer this, Boxer that, Boxer EVERYTHING!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

welcome your wrx looks great :)

#14 ScoobyOutback

ScoobyOutback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Cars, especially Subaru's. Bit of golf, surfing and Top Gear.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Welcome to SubyClub mate. Looks really neat.

#15 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi and welcome.

Nice car!

:drinks:

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#16 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hi and welcome,

car looks great, love the shifter mod.

cheers,

Ash.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#17 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I haven't updated my build thread in a while and I've done alot of mods to my car since my last post, so I thought I should fill you all in.

Suspension:
In my first post, I mentioned that I had some new slotted brake rotors and pads, braided brake lines, king spring lows, and KYB AGX fully adjustable shocks in the mail. Before I started work under the bonnet, I thought I would upgrade the suspension and brakes, so that when I started getting more power I could keep it on the road.

All of those components have since been installed. I installed the shocks and springs first, and later did the braking system with a nice touch of orange :P
The car drives like a charm now, stops really well and sticks to the road incredibly.
Plus it all looks good :)I hope in the near future to either paint the arches black or re-tar them so that the wheel arches are nice and dark. Any advise, hints or tips with that, let me know :)
Pictures of my setup (Car is a bit dirty):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After doing the brakes and suspension, the car looked like this (I will mention the grill next):
Posted Image

Cosmetics:
After my first post, the next cosmetic mod that I did was the grill. I've left it as bare plastic for the moment because I don't know if I want to paint it let; I kind of like it black. I'll most likely paint it black later on, or I might even carbon wrap it. Either way, I like it more than the stock grill. I had originally tried to modify the stock grill with the intent to use mesh behind it, but I gave up early and just bought one that I liked :P
Car before grill change (Before respray):
Posted Image
Car after grill change (After respray):
Posted Image
I love the look of it with the black nose; way better then what it looked like stock.

The next mod I did to the rex was changing the boot. At the time of my first post, my car had the stock boot with an STI spoiler bolted on. When I bought the car I rushed into buying a spoiler without seeing what the car looked like without one, partly because it's my first fast car, partly because I needed it ready for the respray. I liked the look of it on the car, but I wasn't totally set on it as a permanent feature of my rex after seeing the car without it during the respray period.
Here is what the car looked like with the STI spoiler (Cars a bit dirty in pic):
Posted Image
Here are the pictures that made me want to get rid of it:
Posted Image

Posted Image

So I started looking around for a carbon fiber boot. I wanted to car to have no spoiler, and if I was going to buy a new boot I wanted it to atleast be an upgrade. I found a carbon fiber boot at a good price and bought it. I still haven't got the fitment perfect yet, but I plan on getting round to that soon. It looks heaps better.
Here is what the car looked like with the carbon fiber boot:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next mod I got was simply window tint. Looks so good with dark tint :)
Here is a pic from the day it got tinted:
Posted Image

The most recent mod wasn't really my choice. For a while, I had been wanting to convert my bugeye rear end to a blobeye rear end, which I liked a lot more, plus it made the bugeyes look newer. A lot of people had done it before me, but I still really liked the look of it. I was going to change the rear when I had the money, but while I was away from home with work, my beloved bug got rear ended. Wet morning, round about, traffic... You get the picture.
Here is a picture of the damage:
Posted Image
The damage was minor; no structural damage. All I need was a new rear bumper, so I thought I should do the rear end converion instead of getting another replacement bugeye bar. The bar was easy to get; the tricky part was getting some newer model tail lights at a reasonable price. When my bug came home from the smash repairer, it was wearing its new bumper with the old tail lights. It was a bit of an odd sight, but I could tell it was going to look awesome when the conversion was complete.
Here is a picture of what it looked like:
Posted Image
Within days, I found a set of lights from a nice member here on the forum, tinted them and put them on the car. I thought I would take some comparison pictures while I was at it.
Here are some pictures of the conversion (Note that boot is not closed):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am very happy with how it turned out, and I have losts more planned :) My next plans are to get more power out of my rex Posted Image

#18 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Look good mate. Good to see someone been different and not just slapping some coilovers in there haha. I'm more of a fan of the of blue w/ STI spoiler boot, but that just me. The Rear end looks much nicer with the new tail lights. Good work on not just unleashing 4 cans of night shade on them like most people do, look much nicer slightly tinted and the reverse/indicator taped off. The indicator looks like it has some orange in it, get on the interwebz and ebay a chrome globe for it, just makes it look a little cleaner IMO. Same with the front lights. Is it just the globe tinted orange, or is there an orange lens? I look forward to seeing how this beast progresses!

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#19 Masterstumpy

Masterstumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Cheers mate :D

#20 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

The bugs lookin good.
Rear bar update is heaps better lookin.
Sorry to say buy those wheels need to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users