#21 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

The 2.5s can definitely produce a decent sound... Some good quality mufflers and UEL headers will make that distinct Subaru sound :)

I understand what you're saying about only being a member of one site to keep it all central, however there may be a stack of info on another forum which may indeed help with your search. Definitely not trying to kick you out of here :sarcastic: but you never know what else you may learn!

Personally, Subyclub is my 'home' forum if you will. But I'm also on OzFoz because I own a Forester, Rexnet because it's good for parts, liberty.asn.au because I'll probably have a Gen 4 one day, RSLC because there's archives and archives full of info... plus the 3000 thread ;), plus a whole bunch of other Suby forums haha!

You'll also notice that many of us are the same and we'll have the same/similar usernames across all of them. The Suby scene is all pretty tight :)

Lucky you live in Sydney. There is a monthly meet at Hooters Parramatta and regular cruises. Even if you don't own a Suby, it's a good chance to meet up with other enthusiasts. Shaz, Nick, Jim, and a few others still attend these all the time and they no longer have Subys...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#22 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

If you have your heart set on a 3.0 then you should check out the 3.0 engine specific section on club.liberty.asn.au
There are a few threads in it that say what to look for when purchasing a 3.0 so you don't inherit any major engine problems.
Good luck with the search!

#23 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Re: sunroof, I didn't dislike it, it's just that I don't miss it now that I don't have it. It worked fine, and I did use it from time to time, but just a gimmick imo, and it takes up headroom if you're tall. If my current car had one, I don't think I would fit, already with a helmet on I have difficulty :nea:

Re: silly driving, it's all in the driver, I can quite happily kick the tail out in my car in the rain, takes a bit more effort in the dry but it's not difficult ;) Depends on the driver, not the car.

Re: P-plates, move to canberra! I drive a twin-turbo on my P's, don't have to display P-plates, and get 8 points :P

#24 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

Agree with the sunroof comments. If you are over 6ft 6, dont get the sunroof. You might think you can avoid it in normal driving, but if you have a crash, your skull is going to find that lip in the roof to smack against pretty quickly.

If you plan on modifying the engine and taking tinkering to the serious stages later on, my recommendation is to get something cheap to tide you over until you can get a turbo one. 6 cylinder models are great, but have very little in performance upgrade potential compared to the turbo fours. Dont do what I did and buy a nice N/A model for lots of coin, just to buy the turbo model 12 months later.
That being said, with a factory output of 180kw, the 6 is a fine machine. Dad had an '03 xr8, and reckoned his 6 cyl '05 outback was almost as quick.

Getting the spec B is the prime option if you can afford it, and certainly worth getting an older model year for the extra bits.

Its also probably worth mentioning that the AWD system will need a different driving style to the RWD of the commodores. If you boot it mid corner in the AWD (and this will probably be more noticable in the 6 cyl. versions with more power) you will induce understeer rather than oversteer most of the time. Its great fun once you learn the driving style though. I remember someone here used to have the signature of "Yes I will go round you. On the outside. In the wet." The grip the AWD system can give is incredible, and is an absolute hoot to drive.
The only thing to watch is if you do loose traction, and you start correcting, be careful with the amount of opposite lock. Once it gets grip, it WILL spit you towards wherever your front wheels are pointing.

But anyways. I guarantee you will have some serious fun in the new toy. They are lovely to drive sedately and great fun when you give it a bit.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#25 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

@SUBARU: Judging from your list of models, I'm targeting the Liberty 3.0 SpecB sedan (this would come with the sunroof, leather interior and the extras right?). If this is the model that is way out of my budget then I guess the next best thing would be the Liberty 3.0 sedan (does this also come with the added extras?). The reason why I want the latest and best is because I am planning on keeping the car for a LONG time. I don't want to have to buy another car for another 5 years say? Reason-being, I won't need to. If I pay the price and get something overly decent now, I won't have to think about getting a new car for ages. When you say I should keep my eyes on a 3.0 or Premium Pack, do you mean the 3.0 or 2.5i Premium Pack? I am just confirming in case the 3.0 has a Premium Pack model as well.

You mentioned that I won't be able to do many engine modifications due to it not being turbo, my question is, what engine modifications CAN I do? The usuals; air filter, performance parts, etc? I'm just curious. I'd like to think I'm handy with a spanner and together with my dad we've managed to do work on my VS ourselves. The Liberty won't be any different. It's always good to get your hands dirty if you know what you're doing of course. Thanks a lot for taking out time to reply man, much appreciated.

No worries at all mate.

A SpecB will be tough to find within the 15k bracket, but a 3.0 will be within reach. Good move in trying to find something that is going to meet your needs for a long period of time. There's nothing worse than getting into something only to discover you should have gone for a different model.

When saying to keep your eyes out for a 3.0 or premium pack, I meant a 30. varient, or a 2.5 Premium Pack.

Witht he NA engines, you can certainly to some mods, like air filters, removing resonators, changing the headers, centre pipe and mufflers e.t.c. However, the gains are so slight that they aren't worth it. Your money would be better spent on handling modifications (suspension and brakes).
There are very few engine "performance" mods available to the NA Subaru's, primarily because they don't do much, if anything, to increase performance.

#26 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

@Morgan: That's all I'm looking for really. The looks, the comfort, the performance and the sound. Fine! I'll give the other places a look around but can't promise I'll be registering there. I'm happy here though. And I've already been welcomed so cannot leave. I'm not a guest any more, I'm a squatter, taking advantage of whatever room is available here. I'll probably be doing something similar then, but I doubt the username 'Liberty' will be available for me to take, ha ha! I was surprised I got it on here. So non-Suby's can attend these meets... Sounds good, HOWEVER, if (and when) I do attend you'll have no hassles in spotting me. I've got a red (and black, and grey) VS. I doubt I'll be showing up with it though as I really don't want to embarrass myself. I'll just wait till I have my Liberty that way I can have more of an easier entrance. :P

@J-C: Are there any full-proof reasons why the 6-cylinder 3.0 attract more engine problems compared to the 4-cylinder models? Might be a stupid question but hey, I'm learning! I'll check out the site when I have some time though, thanks man.

@nickknack: Ah fair enough. So it's more of a taste thing after you've had one before. You either like it or you think it's a hassle or potential hazard. I've never had a sunroof so I'm all about getting one. I think my world would never be the same if I never managed to get a car with a sunroof in it in my lifetime. I'm tall-ish. I have no clue how many centimetres or feet I am though, I've never really had a need to know yet.

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to test your theory. I don't know if this forum is stalked by some secret service or something, but I will not publicly admit that I do any of the kind. :ph34r:

I do know what you mean though but in saying that, I think it will keep me at least a bit more responsible. If I was to move to Canberra I'd have to be a resident for a 3 month period don't I? Not worth it. I WAS working down there as a demolition worker but things didn't work out. Not worth moving down when I can get my full license this time next year.

@allpaw4: Thanks for your post man, much appreciated it. I don't think I'm that tall, and after all this height discussion you guys are forcing me to measure myself!

Seems like everyone's making many more positive comments about the 4-cylinder models then the 6-cylinder. Any reason for that? I know exactly what you're saying as well and I don't really want to be paying extremely high prices for an NA just to get rid of it a year later. I plan on keeping whatever I get for a while and if I do find myself swimming in money I'd think about it then. But whatever I do choose now is what I'll be working on. My whole aim of this topic is to get suggestions, opinions and do my research before jumping the gun and paying for something I should've have, or paying too much for it. Every post so far has been a huge help and I find myself thinking and talking about Subaru's a lot more often now. Your dad has made a very good comparison. I'm keen to test his theory out if I do get a 6-cylinder. B)

Getting the SpecB is the prime option if you can afford it, and certainly worth getting an older model year for the extra bits.

That's really narrowed down my options which is fantastic. So if I can't afford the spec B (2.5i or 3.0) models I should really be aiming for the Premium Pack (2.5i or 3.0) models right? It's a matter of me choosing between the 4 and 6 cylinder as well... Which I have no clue of which to go for yet. Thanks for your drifting example though, made sense and I know exactly what you're talking about without getting myself in that situation first. Again, thanks for the help man and I can't wait to get in the drivers seat now!

@SUBARU: I think I've gone all mature now which has led me to make these decisions. I'm still young and all but I've gotta start thinking about life as well. It's just unfortunate that my girlfriend and parents don't think on the same wavelength as me when I say that cars are investments just like houses. Will girlfriends ever understand the drug-like state we experience when driving your second mrs that doesn't argue, tell you to stop or slow down or want to go shopping all the time?

Awesome. Noted that down. 3.0 variant or 2.5 PP. I got this!

It's just the same as any other car then. There is only so much you can do before it either becomes stupid or too over-the-top. I'll ensure to keep a mix of engine mods with handling mods, but I'll most probably list them according to price. If I do manage to get my hands on a SpecB I suspect I won't need to spend money on new suspension? Any increase in performance is better then nothing I guess, but I like sound and looks so although it might be viewed as a bit of a waste of the good ol' dough, I've never been able to do it before as I never thought my car good enough to be doing it so starting now would be perfect timing. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions once again.

I've got a few more questions if you guys don't mind.

8. The Liberty's with a hood scoop on them, are they only found on GT's?

9. What are the vents found on the bumper? What models are they found on? I'm not sure I'm a fan of them to be honest, I don't know why. May be if I knew the reason why they're there to begin with I could get more comfortable with them. You will all know what I'm talking about but here's a picture for reference. The vents underneath the brake lights.

Posted Image

Thanks!

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#27 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

I haven't read up too much on the H6 problems but it seems that they just need a bit more upkeep compared to the 4's which people don't initially realise. Previous owners are usually to fault when it comes to most car problems so as long as you give the car a good looking over (even by a mechanic if necessary), then keep up that maintenance, you should be alright. As I often say, look after your car and it'll look after you!

The 4's are definitely more popular as well as more of them actually being made hence the lower price tag, tonnes info on them, and more being available. Simple really!

Another thing to mention (not sure if it has already) but if you're looking at auto models, the 2.5 is a 4sp while the 3.0 has the 5sp auto. Never driven one myself but I've heard it's a pretty decent bit of kit.

Also, I wish I had a sunroof!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#28 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

The hood scoops are on the GT models. That's the air intake for the top mount intercooler.

The vents are on my08 models up, on gen4 varients. The space is actually a fog light on overseas models, but not an ADR requirement in oz, so budget cuts saw plastic "vents" installed. They do nothing.

#29 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

@Morgan: If TLC is all that's required to avoid any major mechanical problems then that's completely fine. I'm good when it comes to those sorta things and I always ensure to use quality products when maintaining my car. I try and get the best oils, brakes, cleaning products, etc, so hopefully if I was to aim for that model it shouldn't be too much of a worry. You aren't wrong with that quote either!

Another bump in the road that I've gotta think about... 4 or 6 cylinder...? Another thing to be debating over.

It hasn't been mentioned and it was one of the things I forgot to mention in the opening post to the topic. I haven't decided on an auto or manual, but I can drive either so it doesn't matter to me. It'll just come down to the best car that is available at the time of purchase. Doesn't phase me really. Is there an auto vs. manual rivalry on this forum as well? :P

5 sp auto sounds very nice though.

I will have a sunroof. No doubt about it. I'll be kicking myself as much as you seem to be doing right now if I don't get one!

@SUBARU: Damn! I think it makes the Liberty look that little bit more tougher. I guess beggars can't be choosers. I'll hopefully get a GT some time in the future. I thought I saw a few pics on Google with lights there, explains it I guess but I just wanted confirmation cause no matter how many I see driving around, they've all got the vents you speak about. I don't think I like them...

Gosh I'm getting bloody fussy now. I guess if the car is black you won't notice them as much.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#30 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yep, the fake vents look crap. It only applies to my08+ sedan models.

The manual varients are way more responsive than the auto. I've got a manual my08 and it's fun to drive. The manual will also be a little cheaper to purchase.

I'm also not sure if the 3.0r came out in a manual, maybe onlye SpecB???

#31 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

There's no reason why you couldn't ship the lights in from overseas is there? Or is it a waste of money and would it require wiring to be done to get them working properly?

Awesome. I'm happy with whatever I get so I don't mind on whether it's a manual or an auto. I've never had my own manual car either so it might be about that time that I start actually driving a car rather then letting a computer do half the work.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#32 Mitch.

Mitch.

Fart Smuggler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Surfin' Da Web

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

9. What are the vents found on the bumper? What models are they found on? I'm not sure I'm a fan of them to be honest, I don't know why. May be if I knew the reason why they're there to begin with I could get more comfortable with them. You will all know what I'm talking about but here's a picture for reference. The vents underneath the brake lights.

Posted Image

- they are on the gen 4 series 2 (07-09. I think) they aren't vents just plastic made to look like vents and have no real benefit at all. The gen 4 series 1 doesn't have them.

#33 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

In that case we will just class them as part of the cars aerodynamics. Explains things a lot more professionally I think, or at least it makes it sound more exciting. :huh:

Thanks Mitch..

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#34 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hood scoops are on B4's aswell.

Posted Image

#35 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Obviously because it's turbocharged too right? Cause I'd put it on an NA Liberty to be honest even if it made no difference to anything. It's the look of it that makes me jizz my pants.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#36 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Obviously because it's turbocharged too right? Cause I'd put it on an NA Liberty to be honest even if it made no difference to anything. It's the look of it that makes me jizz my pants.

correct. however the B4 is the Gen3 turbocharged liberty. when Gen 4 was released it was rebadged as a GT, and the engine was a single turbo then (B4 run a twin turbo system)

RE Auto vs Manual.
ive always been a fan of manual over auto, mainly because i feel a manual car is better to drive and more responsive as opposed to auto, and i dont feel as lazy. theres only a handful of cars i would be happy to drive as an auto. the only real case im aware of is in the GT's where the autos actually had a smaller turbo than the manuals.

Sunroof wise i love mine, one of the best features of the car by far!

#37 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

GEN3 = B4 (with twin turbo system)
GEN4 = GT (with single turbo system)

Got it. Still trying to catch up on all the GEN stuff, B4-GT stuff, etc. Different GEN, different name. It's all coming together slowly. ;)

I've always driven auto but wouldn't mind at all getting into manual. But at the end of the day, like I've already mentioned, I really don't mind what it is. In similar words to what someone said in one of my topics, so long as it's a Liberty I'm happy. The auto's have the sport shift feature as well don't they? Or are they only in the GEN4+ models? How good is it? Does it work/perform well or is it a bit laggy?

I won't get a Liberty without a sunroof. End of story. :)

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#38 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've always driven auto but wouldn't mind at all getting into manual. But at the end of the day, like I've already mentioned, I really don't mind what it is. In similar words to what someone said in one of my topics, so long as it's a Liberty I'm happy. The auto's have the sport shift feature as well don't they? Or are they only in the GEN4+ models? How good is it? Does it work/perform well or is it a bit laggy?

i know the Autos in the Gen 4 GT's have the sport shift, im not too sure however on other models (i would assume that the 6cyl models would have sportshift as well though)

#39 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sportshift auto...

So laggy!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#40 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Well so far all of the GEN4's that I've seen on Carsales have sport shift.

Ha ha, that video cracks me up every time I see it! Thanks for the feedback though. My VS is a 3 sp auto so I understand the lagginess of it. I just don't know how this would compare to the Liberty's sport shift.

To assist with this topic and to help me get my grips on all the models of a Liberty I'm gonna attempt to write out each model in order of standard to the best if you know what I mean. Might help me out in getting my head around it all.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users