#304 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Doesn't look like anything's wrong there, mate.

:P

IM47Gcv.jpg

#305 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Nah it sends all the power to the front diff which is open and spins up the front wheels too easily. It still drives good and does what I want it to but I need more traction coming out of corners, especially on gravel.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#306 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Too true. The modding only really finishes when you sell it.

OEM+

#307 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Ha ha, I'm sure you can say that again Mark!

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#308 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yep. Pretty sure I modded the GT a day before the new owner took it. :D

OEM+

#309 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I had to do a little more work on the Outback this weekend, I had some noise coming from the front which got louder and quieter with speed. I figured it must be the wheel bearings im using that were on the Foz, since the car never made this noise before the swap.

My guess was correct, both front wheel bearings had play in them when I removed them. I put my original knuckles on and the car was dead silent again, happy days!

I also fitted up the sump guard which fits nicely over the new front end with the exception of the Fumoto drain valve I put on the oil pan. So I had to trim a little bit of metal off it and then it fit fine.

#310 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Such a good build thread. I'd go so far as to say it's the best I've read. 

Congratulations on everything. Well done  ;)

People need to take note here..... this is how to do a build thread. 

#311 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I just finished my first tank of 98 and have run learning view to see how its running. Can anyone with some knowledge in this area tell me their thoughts?

Fuel consumption was 10.86l/100km city driving but I must admit I have been having fun gunning it everywhere :D

20140214_160707.jpg

It's great having all this room in the back too, those are 2.7m lengths of timber.

20140214_130104.jpg

#312 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

looks like its in neec if a tune. small amount of knock i believe im no expert. rexnet would be the best place

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#313 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Yeah I spoke to MSR, he said its pulling boost back and adding fuel, engine not happy at all. I wonder if its because our fuel is not as good as Japan?

#314 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Quite likely. They are setup to run 100 RON fuel over there. Looks like the ECU is doing its job. A tune over here should cure that (unless you've already had it tuned, if so, then there are bigger issues)

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#315 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

No I haven't tuned it, I was hoping by fitting a stock exhaust I could avoid the expense of a tune.

#316 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'm surprised at the amount of rust on your tow bar.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#317 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

The ECU is adding timing in those cells. It's probably doing it to try and bring your IAM back up to 16.

Did you do a ECU reset after filling it up with 98? 

#318 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

The JDM ECUs are quite good at adapting to bad fuel (which the ECU thinks it is now getting the whole time lol). However, it certainly won't come close to emulating a tune. Tune is more than worth the money, and after putting in that much blood and sweat, do you want to do it all again when a bearing dies?

Basically, after reading a little on the subaru knock correction setups, There are 3 separate correction routines. One isnt shown on the screen shot you put up (and is called Feedback Knock Correction), but IAM and Fine Learning Knock Correction table is shown. These correction setups will not operate simultaneously. The ECU has coding and conditions to work by to change modes, and these are pretty much set in stone. Basically, they are separate systems.

IAM is more of a rough system, adding and taking timing across the board until its happy. This is all done as per the knock sensors feedback.

Fine learning is exactly that - The ECU will add (and in some cases remove) timing to a set load and rev point as per the table. Each engine load value can be roughly converted to 12.5% increments. So the 1.85g/rev + load value is the equivalent to 87.5% to 100% loading.

The best way to get a guage on how things are going is to put up another screenshot of the same page in about a week. This will show what its doing, as this sort of thing is never changed quickly. If the IAM and fine learning tables are getting better (bigger numbers), things are going well. If they are dropping, might be worthwhile getting a tune. It will likely have less power than it does now, but at least you know the engine will be kept as safe as possible.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#319 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

The ECU is adding timing in those cells. It's probably doing it to try and bring your IAM back up to 16.

Did you do a ECU reset after filling it up with 98? 

Yes.

The JDM ECUs are quite good at adapting to bad fuel (which the ECU thinks it is now getting the whole time lol). However, it certainly won't come close to emulating a tune. Tune is more than worth the money, and after putting in that much blood and sweat, do you want to do it all again when a bearing dies?

Basically, after reading a little on the subaru knock correction setups, There are 3 separate correction routines. One isnt shown on the screen shot you put up (and is called Feedback Knock Correction), but IAM and Fine Learning Knock Correction table is shown. These correction setups will not operate simultaneously. The ECU has coding and conditions to work by to change modes, and these are pretty much set in stone. Basically, they are separate systems.

IAM is more of a rough system, adding and taking timing across the board until its happy. This is all done as per the knock sensors feedback.

Fine learning is exactly that - The ECU will add (and in some cases remove) timing to a set load and rev point as per the table. Each engine load value can be roughly converted to 12.5% increments. So the 1.85g/rev + load value is the equivalent to 87.5% to 100% loading.

The best way to get a guage on how things are going is to put up another screenshot of the same page in about a week. This will show what its doing, as this sort of thing is never changed quickly. If the IAM and fine learning tables are getting better (bigger numbers), things are going well. If they are dropping, might be worthwhile getting a tune. It will likely have less power than it does now, but at least you know the engine will be kept as safe as possible.

A tune is something I definitely want to get but I was hoping to put it off a little while so I can put some cash aside and also acquire a few parts like bigger injectors and bigger turbo. I would also like to rule out any issues like boost leaks, faulty sensors or something like that before getting it tuned.

I will just take it easy driving it to work this week and then grab another learning view screenshot on Friday arvo.

cheers.

#320 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

I have filled up with another tank of 98 and have done about 250km's since. I haven't reset the ECU, here is the new learning view screenshot.

comments?

20140217_184711.jpg

Today I also replaced the gasket for the IACV, I didn't replace it when I cleaned it and there was a chance it was leaking air into the throttle body.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbo, swapped, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users