2002 Outback - it's gone...

#262 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Guy on NASIOC suggested this:

"Remove the breather line (extreme right on your pic) and drill the pump housing in an area where you have space and insert the additional breather line...that new one will work as the return line instead of the broken one..
all you will need to do is blank off the existing return line and change the hose connector if yours has the "clip-on" version.."

Can anyone follow what he is saying exactly? I need to understand how the pump works and which line does what before I attempt anything like that.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#263 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Things are looking up!

I have managed to repair the fuel pump assembly for free and save myself some coin. I got some 6mm (1/4") copper pipe and had the guys at work turn it down to 5mm external diameter. I then grabbed a drill which was 0.06mm smaller than 5mm and drilled out the internal surfaces of the plastic nipple and where it attaches to the fuel pump assembly.

20140129_133228.jpg

The copper pipe was then cut down so it would fit about 10mm into each piece of plastic.

20140129_134110.jpg

It was lightly sanded down so I could almost push it into the plastic pieces, tolerances were super tight. The some 2 part epoxy on one half of the pipe and I forced it into the cracked off part of the fuel pump assembly, the glue acted as lube allowing me to get it right in.

20140129_134521.jpg

I had marked where the fracture in the plastic lined up perfect on both pieces so I could line it up perfect when bonding it together. Once the other half (the nipple) was pushed on I ran a little extra epoxy around the crack.

P1010419.jpg

Even without the epoxy the tolerances are tight enough that I doubt this would leak but the epoxy will help with the overall strength.

Next step was to fit the new fuel pump to the assembly, just pop these tabs off (one on each side) and push down. Then to remove the fuel sock there is a little circlip under the rubber base.

P1010427.jpg

Here is the comparison of the stock Outback pump with the DeatschWerks 65C to suit a MY08-13 WRX

P1010431.jpg

Here is a shot with the new pump in the housing.

P1010432.jpg

I have taken the under bonnet fuel filter from the Foz and installed it in my Outback so no need to keep the in tank fuel filter and no need to ever remove this fuel pump assembly again after this. I just removed the filter being careful with the o-ring, if that is damaged there will be no fuel pressure. I greased the o-ring and metal cap a little before re-installation to make sure no damage was done.

P1010433.jpg

I also grabbed a couple of irrigation fittings at bunnings today so my head breathers could be routed under the new intercooler, the old TMIC has a metal pipe on the front for this.

P1010436.jpg

My mate Rob came over last night to do a few little wiring jobs for me, did I mention I don't like wiring?

Anyway we needed to hook up a relay for the water to air intercooler water pump and splice it into the fuse box under the bonnet with a fuse etc. We mounted the relay right in front of the fuse box.

P1010423.jpg

Next job was to wire in a 3rd wire to the alternator, the turbo motors have 3 wires going to them so we de-pinned it from the Foz harness and joined it up to the plug the guys at AM Auto left there for me.

P1010424.jpg

Finally the fuel pump controller was spliced into the harness and mounted up under the dash, the guys left enough wire coiled up so I could run it under the carpet and back to the fuel pump connection where it was spliced in under the back seats.

P1010426.jpg

The plan is to start it up tomorrow afternoon :)

#264 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Freaking awesome!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#265 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'm gone for two weeks and there has been so much progress. This is an amazing build man!

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#266 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Its alive!

I have an airbag light on the dash and check engine light comes on after about 2 minutes of idling. Going to download learning view and see what the code is.

#267 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Congrats dude!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#268 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Nice job, so quick to convert.

I bet ya felt good when it started ??

#269 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Awesome news. Well done mate!

#270 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Sounds great and really good to see it started perfectly.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#271 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

WOOOO!

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#272 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Yes very happy it started :D  there are still a number of things to do though, hopefully I can get them all sorted this weekend because my exhaust shop guy is back from holidays on Monday and it would be great to drive it there Monday morning.

#273 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Sooooo, want to get rid of that brake valve and bracket now?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#274 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Good news, the CEL is just a minor fault to do with the idle control solenoid or IACV. Its nothing major and I will be driving to work on Monday in the car via the exhaust shop. It could aslo be due to the neutral switch.

Hopefully I can track down the airbag fault today, I'm hoping its just something I didn't plug in, I put the drivers seat back in and plugged it in but the light stayed on.

20140131_173932.jpg

Sooooo, want to get rid of that brake valve and bracket now?

Not sure mate, I am going to order some brake pads front and rear to see if I can improve the performance as they were a bit lacking even with the n/a motor. Can't decide between QFM HPX or A1RM, might talk to the guys at GSL Rallysport before ordering.

So if I can't get good performance with new pads I may swap the Foz parts over so I don't want to sell anything off just yet.

#275 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Airbag is fixed, it was just a plug in the drivers side kick panel that had been joined but not fully seated in the plug ( a little green button needs to click). I washed it and then took it for a drive around the block, it needs better brake pads :D

#276 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Skids video isn't loading?

tIeW8DE.png

#277 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Still have half a tank of 95 or possibly 91 in it, need to use that up first before I can open it up :D

#278 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

Congrats. A job very well done and something I have quite enjoyed following the progress on. 

OEM+

#279 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

Well done. Very interesting to watch as it progressed. Hope you enjoy it. If you want to hasten the fuel use, I beleive there is a bolt in the drivers side fuel tank that acts as a bung. Unbolt that and you can drain most of the tank. Well, there was one on my B4, so I dont see why there wouldn't be one on the outback. Make sure you have a few large containers though, I got about 25L out of mine.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#280 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Well I drove the car to work today via the exhaust shop with no muffler, sounded mean :D The exhaust lengthening was finished by lunch time and after work I went and got the A/C re-gassed. I also filled the tank with premium ULP and checked all the tyre pressures.

Here is a shot of the exhaust, its very stealth.

P1010454.jpg

When I got home I got to work fixing the CEL issue which was a IACV which controls the idle. A little net research and it turns out you can take it apart and give it a clean which in most cases fixes it.

First step was to unplug the two connectors and unscrew the IACV.

P1010447.jpg

Have a look how filthy it was inside.

P1010444.jpg

So I basically blasted and soaked it with upper engine cleaner, wiped it out with rags and cotton tips and reinstalled it.

P1010446.jpg

After that I reset the ECU and took the car for a drive through the Natio. The idle issues (idle hunting) and CEL were gone and the car was running sweet, plenty of punch out of the corners and loads of fun to drive :)

So here is the before/after shot of the engine

P1010451.jpg

Still needs a wheel alignment and need to put the sump guard back on but otherwise there is nothing more to do but enjoy.

P1010458.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbo, swapped, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users