233 replies to this topic

#181 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

How much clearance do you have between PS hardline and the inlet? I have the same setup and although it clears ok, there is enough pressure (which is not much at all) on the hardline to cause a leak in the system.

The later version gc8 AVO inlet have the same 45 degree bend as the stock inlet

Hardline as in the feed that comes in front of the head then bolts to the pump or the suction pipe?

Feed in front of the head is fine clears no worry's, suction pipe is hard up against the inlet though. I'll get you some pictures today.

My manifold is GD style so that's why i got the GD inlet from AVO. the Tuner who i bought it off looked it up in his system and this inlet was th eone for a MY01-02 GT

Once again Lachy.....

Top update keep them coming, loving the progress.....

Thanks mate its coming along nicely keen for the finished product

Keen to see some RS updates as they happen :)

#182 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Smart move on the AVO inlet over the the PSR. The PSR is bigger and apparently flows more but IMO it's not worth the fitment/clearance hassles. I hate the fact that mine is hard up against the PS lines and the TGV housings in some places.

ndvgQm2.jpg

#183 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Smart move on the AVO inlet over the the PSR. The PSR is bigger and apparently flows more but IMO it's not worth the fitment/clearance hassles. I hate the fact that mine is hard up against the PS lines and the TGV housings in some places.

AVO is hard up on the suction pipe of the power steering but not the feed that runs along the front of the head, on my car, tgv fitment was pretty good

#184 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Keen to see some RS updates as they happen :)

Hopefully will have some more updates soon......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#185 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:56 PM

Another busy few days

Yesterday, Tuesday the Golpher radiator turned up, i decide dto chuck it in while we were still waiting on some gaskets to put headers on then the gearbox and clutch back in. 

Fits pretty good for a China radiator, read plenty of threads on ozfoz of people who have used them and while everything was out and with the power screw being turned up in the near future i thought it would be a good time to upgrade it. 

It is a duel core radiator compared to the OEM single core. had to elongate the rad mount holes slightly to slide the rad away from the pulleys but apart form that it fits great :)

D13uX9c.jpg

3wZgkol.jpg

wycmPME.jpg

X1pQFKZ.jpg

Then this afternoon/tonight myself and Cam plus a evo mate who gave a handput the clutch and box back in, before the mate turned up we put the headers and uppipe on as the tri bolt gasket turned up today.

Ended up with oem head to manifold gaskets, oem turbo to up pipe and tomei/PSR/EBAY/grimspeed tribolt manifold to up pipe

Headers went on fine with threebond sealant on all.

Clutch kit went together fine with a machined OEM flywheel I picked up at Ichiban a few weeks ago. 

vVWObD3.jpg

As we went to install the throwout bearing it was found that one of the tabs that the clutch fork uses was cracked from mishandling in my car with all the parts going in and out over the last week I suspect. (my fault no one elses  :dash2: )

NuxL99g.jpg

rA5mo76.jpg

Luckily Cam has a mate who is a welder/fabricator by trade and is very proficient at this sort of repair, so a quick trip over to his shop this evening and some money exchanged for his services I had a nice strong tab re attached to my throw out bearing and as strong as ever :)

fifSob7.jpg

BnmgYmc.jpg
Got home and greased up the shaft for the throwout bearing along with the clutch for pivot and the ends of the clutch fork.

7VDALbD.jpg

With the power of Ryobi One+ we were ready to put the box back in. 

uGD4EPc.jpg

With the throw out bearing on the box, the aligning tool removed the box went straight in with no hassles thank god, the circlip on the pressure plate cliped onto the throw out bearing and the clutch operated as expected with the bellhousing all tightened up and the slave cylinder reattached. 

We put the shifter linkage back together, clipped all the gearbox sensors back in and put the starter and earths on.

Then we put the gearbox crossmemeber back in and the tailshaft into the box and reconnected the tailshaft to the diff.

tb1qCVa.jpg

That was it for tonight and hopefully tomorrow is finish the remaining things for turn key :D

The plan tomorrow arvo/evening is reinstall downpipe/exhaust, battery, inter-cooler, replace some fuel hoses, fill coolant and power steering, check oil, clutch fluid and brake fluid and then give it a real good check over and assess whats been pulled apart for anything not reconnected etc

(all parts/bolts removed were bagged as they came off to allow easy reinstall id recommend this to anyone who likes to have stuff set aside for later and easy to find)

After all that it will be turn key time and fingers crossed it'll be all good in the hood.

#186 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

So yesterday arvo/evening was spent....

-Filling gearbox with Penrite Progear 75W-90 and nulon G70 smooth shift additive
-Drain and fill diff with Progear 75W-90
-Fill and bleed power steering

-Fill and bleed coolant system

-Fit down pipe and turbo heatshield

-Replace the fuel hose going to the rails as it was old and perished, will get a fresh fuel filter for after its tuned had a fresh one go in when i purchased so only about 30k old

-Fit washer bottle

-Fit battery

-Clean IC and straighten bents fins

-Fit intercooler brackets and fit intercooler and breather hardlines

-Engine bay tidy up of lines where needed with cable ties etc

-General check over for leaks, fluid levels and spanner check before starting

Not many pictures of this process but just wanted to get it in and finished. 

Andddd it started first go :D 

A great achievement considering the amount of stuff pulled apart.

hgHOu1W.jpg

Once the coolant system and power steering system was bled and checked over for leaks it was turned off and the boot trims pulled out to put in my DW200 fuel pump

MjX23p7.jpg

A nice surprise with the fuel pump assembly out, that Cam had not noticed before, was the baffle area around where the pickup sock sits. The old OEM sock was replaced with the supplied DW one as it was identical and was angled the same way as the OEM one. 

9weXdMJ.jpg

A new tank rubber seal for the fuel pump housing was put in to replace the 14.5 year old one.

CzQxOZI.jpg

Then it was all bolted back in and primed and again started after a few primes to ensure fuel was in the system.

After I tidied up all the tools and gave the engine bay a good degrease and hose down to wash off any residue we took it out for a test drive.

To start with it had a little stumble due to the increase in injector sizing but with time and being a fresh front O2 sensor it did some scaling and seemed better after stopping for a bite to eat. Throttle was kept to closed loop and monitored on my new Scanguage II.

That was it for last night with it all running sweet clutch having some bedding in and tyre pressure checked. Happy man I was.

eTKAsXc.jpg

This morning we got up early and wired in the AEM UEGO wideband gauge and sensor into the bung in the xforce downpipe. The sensor fit fine and wiring fit nicely into a hole above the pitch stop and then thorough the firewall grommet into the cabin. (just wish the wiring shielding was black :P)

gg6knBt.jpg

I decided that I would run the boost gauge to one side of the steering column cover, the wideband the other, then my Scanguage II off the supplied window mount. You'll also see I swapped the GD horn pad for a JDM STB forester one without Impreza written on it which was annoying me. now black and sits the forester much nicer. (excuse rubbish/filthy interior has been parts storage for last week)

GdJXHtR.jpg

ZFqIQVx.jpg

f1POMU8.jpg

The last thing to go in while we had the column apart putting the wideband in i put in the wiper stalk with adjustable intermittent which for some reason had been replaced with a GX Forester stalk which doesn't have it. Just a little thing that was annoying me. 

dDBT6Ig.jpg

Once the wideband was all in we took if for another little drive to see what the AFR's were doing. As we expected it was very rich in open loop with the larger injecotrs (read 10:1 AFRs on quarter throttle :P) so it'll just be babied around in closed loop on the few drives before tune to bed the clutch in some more. 

So now she sits while I go away to Tamworth and then home to my parents place for a few days over Easter. Then next week book the tune with Newcastle Dyno Centre and drive it around a little more to bed the clutch in while I'm waiting for my tune day. 

Night before the tune I will do upper engine cleaner, oil, oil filter so its all fresh when its strained on the dyno and give it a good check over and check all my fluids before it goes on the rollers to be tuned :D

Once I get to the tuners ill remove the vacuum line between comp cover and wastegate (currently running wastegate pressure) and install my Tuspeed 3 Port BCS comp cover and wastegate vacuum lines and one the rollers it will go.

Then once its all tuned i will paint my 316mm Lib GT front calipers and install them with new RDA slotted and dimpled rotors and EBC red pads and that should be a well sorted car then. 

Lastly I'd like to say a big thanks to Cam, all the questions and queries while I was organizing and planning what bits and pieces I needed for the whole process, the afternoons and later nights in the last week and a bit fitting it all, and his all round knowledge and insight during the process. Without him it wouldn't be the tidy example it is today. Thanks mate  :drinks: 

Skid pics soon

#187 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

Lastly I thought it would be a good idea to leave some part numbers here for anyone's use for doing a similar job in the future 

TURBO
Turbo oil return hose 807515712 x 1

Turbo oil return gasket 15196AA060 x 1
Turbo oil return clamp 805922080 x 2
Turbo coolant feed hose 21144AA020 x 1
Turbo coolant feed clamps 805918010 x 2
Turbo Overflow hose 99078AA073 x 1
Turbo Overflow clamps 805918010 x 2
Turbo water lines banjo washers 803912040 x 8
Turbo oil feed line banjo washers 803910050 x 2

MANIFOLD ACCESSORIES
Fuel hose under manifold 807707130 x 4
Clamps for fuel hose 805913050 x 8
PCV hose assembly 11815AB213 x 1

​INJECTORS
injector seals (forester) 16608KA000 X4
injector upper o ring (forester) 16698AA110 X4
injector upper rubber (forester) 16395AA020 X4

MANIFOLD AND TGV'S
TGV to block gaskets 14035AA421 x 4 (I had phenolic spacers so need one either side)
Mainifold to TGV gaskets 14075AA160 x 2

TURBO AND HEADERS
Downpipe gasket 44022AA180 x 1
Manifold to block gasket 14038AA000 x 2
Up pipe to turbo gasket 44022AA150

Used a tomei tri bolt manifold to upipe gasket all gaskets were gasket gooped with fujibond grey

Genuine front O2 Sensor 22641AA042 x 1

#188 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

Wooooo keen as for it to be tuned with better brakes....and maybe a 2.2 rack

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#189 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Forester.

#190 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

and maybe a 2.2 rack

Best thing ever

#191 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Not wrong! Loooooooooooooove mine.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#192 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Very Nice Lachy...

Looking forward to a update after the tune...

Once again top job mate....

#193 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

Tune is booked for Monday next week at Newcastle Dyno Centre collect tuesday, as he likes to check the cold start the next morning which I think is good.

Keen for a drive.

#194 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

Fitted up my 2009 Liberty GT front calipers today after painting them VHT gloss black with a clear coat on top

Fitted them up with RDA slotted and dimpled rotors 316x30mm along with EBC Red ceramic pads and gave the system a bleed and fresh fluid.

"Side note" Had to do some research on pad size as apparently the GT calipers had 2 types of pads since they started in 2009 mine were this EBC part number for anyone looking in the future: DP31583C for front pads

Also picked them up for $100 cheaper than anywhere in Australia through summit racing in the states and that was including delivery absolutely crazy imo but hey saved money is saved money. 

The size difference is big even vs the 294mm XT brakes that I had.

Ha6OBZv.jpg

p11b6uC.jpg

Also fitted a Company23 replacement for the blue plastic t piece on the purge control vacuum system as i was a little worried with it being tight with the new inlet that it may come off and cause a vacuum leak or boost leak when it goes on the dyno. 

Nice bit of kit and it wont be coming off any time soon under pressure with the barbed fittings

5vn614c.jpg

All that's left to do before it goes to the tuner on Monday is fresh oil and filter and clean the MAF and a good checkover on Sunday. was going to do upper engine cleaner but cant really ring its neck atm due to injectors and maf scaling with the new intake upgrades so will do that next service. 

Skid pics coming soon. 

#195 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

Aww yis

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#196 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Where the fork does that t piece go. I can't for the life of me picture it.

Posted Image

#197 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

Where the fork does that t piece go. I can't for the life of me picture it.

Our cars run a different setup so no t piece on ours

tIeW8DE.png

#198 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

Ah.

Good :)

Posted Image

#199 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

All tuned up yesterday and this morning to check for cold start and on the road in real conditions. 

t3Qk5kb.jpg

Made 163.2Kw@6100rpm and 473Nm@3950rpm

Completley stoked with the outcome, drives great and AFRs are spot on.

Few people have already mentioned that it could make more power on facebook but its a nice conservative tune on 16psi all the way to redline so I'm completely happy and to be honest would prefer it nice and safe. 

Can't recommend Nathen at Newcastle Dyno Centre enough, no bullshit and easy to deal with :)

Hopefully grab an exhaust video this arv. 

Just gonna enjoy it for a while now i think :D

Lachy

#200 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Top stuff there Lachy....

Glad you are happy with it, looking forward to a exhaust vid....

When the time comes to get the RS tuned I will check him out.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SF5, GT, Boatlife, Anchors Away, Foz, Wagons FTW, EAD aids, Single FTW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users