• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#21 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

connect the two GREEN diagnostic plugs together up under the dash and start the car.
let it idle.
it will cycle all the solenoids and should operate all the exhaust and intake valves so you can see if they're operating correctly

please please please forget about swapping turbo's.
just convert to single if you're going to do anything major.
FMIC kits are hard to come by for a TT anyway and you have to incorporate the ICV, etc into the piping.

TD05-18G @17psi
FMIC
TUNE
190ATW every day

reliable, simple and cheap.

#22 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Convert to single ...Problem solved!

Yeah but single is shit.

Mbooma, another thing to test for vacuum leaks would be to connect only the green plugs under the dash and turn on the ignition but don't start the car. If the system holds sufficient vacuum, then it will operate the IACV and ECV a few times until it runs out of vacuum.

#23 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Tim can u explain a lil more im.trying to read up as much as i can but wat is an iacv an evc??

#24 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

These are the acronyms you'll see when reading up on the TT system.

IACV - Intake Air Control Valve
ECV - Exhaust Control Valve
SPRV - Supercharged Pressure Relief Valve
ABV - Air Bypass Valve (or blow-off valve)
MAP - Manifold Air Pressure (sensor)
MAF - Mass Air Flow (sensor)

Study this to learn how the whole thing operates:

http://www.veloce.pw...on/ttopprt2.htm

#25 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Ok thanks well i just bought some eletric solvent so ill start with my maf an.go from.there i.spose

#26 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Spray the plug & connector too. Don't touch the metal needle. Just spray it.

#27 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

still don;t believe a total "no boost" is from a dodgy MAF on a TT

#28 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Sounds to me like something pretty major is getting stuck open for it to make zero boost, all the air must be escaping? For it to fix itself after an ecu reset, leads me to believe that thing might be electrical. One of the valves or solenoids would be my bet, but start small and work your way back toward the solenoid box, which thankfully hasn't given me trouble.

#29 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

UK Legacy Forums have an excellent 'How To' guide on refurbishing the black box.

http://www.uklegacy....urself-cheaply/

Doesn't seem as scary as people lead on. It actually looks kinda of therapeutic lol.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#30 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yeah but single is shit.

SHIT MAY STINK BUT AIDS IS A TERMINAL DISEASE...lol

Hey Mboomba i stil have some left overs from the conversion  MAF boost control solenoid etc no black box but swap thing out one at a time so you can cross things off the list. And start simple first!      ps. there are some crucial hidden parts under the gaurds in a B4. vac tank etc.

You must start the engine briefly to create vacuum before checking for leaks. 

#31 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

not to mention the Wastegate controller is in the passenger side guard as well : /

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#32 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

UK Legacy Forums have an excellent 'How To' guide on refurbishing the black box.

Doesn't seem as scary as people lead on. It actually looks kinda of therapeutic lol.

That dude has some knarly nails.....

#33 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I've just picked up some 3.5mm hose to do exactly this. Interesting project and nothing much to it.

#34 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I've just picked up some 3.5mm hose to do exactly this. Interesting project and nothing much to it.

Not hard at all Tim. You'll smash it and enjoy doing it! 

The hoses in my BBOD were in good condition but I replaced them anyway. The solenoids were chock full of gunk and it took several flushes to clear them out.

Mbooma, after you done the Maf clean and make sure you have vacuum in the negative vacuum tank & vac lines. Then check all the EGC, IACV, & wastegate are actuating by the green plug check mode mentioned above. If they all seem to be fine then and only then would I move onto checking solenoids & inside the BBOD.

The problem with diagnosing the TT issues is there is a long list of things to check. It's just a matter of working your way through that list and scratching things off as you go.

Keep on it. There's more than enough TT freaks here to help.

Have you made sure all the pipes from the turbo's to the intercooler are seated and tight? Including the throttle to intercooler. It's possible you might just have popped off the pipe from the primary to the intercooler. That would be the best scenario & quickest fix here. 

Do you have a boost gauge? What is your Vacuum reading at idle? Is there any boost whatsoever? 

#35 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Not hard at all Tim. You'll smash it and enjoy doing it! 
The hoses in my BBOD were in good condition but I replaced them anyway. The solenoids were chock full of gunk and it took several flushes to clear them out.

What hose did you end up using? Just some 4mm silicon?

Yeah my hoses are nice and compliant still. I'd just like to do it as preventative maintenance to keep those solenoids clean and clicking away happily.

#36 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Wow wat a lot of reading haha ok so after i reset the ecu the last time the car is making boost an i sprayed the maf anyway made no difference an the only thing wrong i can notice in in first gear (remembering its auto) the boost does do weird these it boost as normal then drops off the comes back ans then the other gears are taking a tiny bit longer to boost then normal so i really think it has some thing to do with blockages or the valves/solinoids are playing up so. ive decided im gonna change all the vaccuum lines today.... wat mm pipe are they?? and wen changing them do i just do to out side the black box or do i do a full make over an do inside aswell???

#37 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Mate I think it was either 3 or 4mm. Not sure. Guys on UKlegacy use 4mm but have to cable tie the pills in place.

#38 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

i can notice in in first gear (remembering its auto) the boost does do weird these it boost as normal then drops off the comes back

This would just be the VOD would it not? The changeover between primary and secondary Turbo.

#39 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Wow.. no boost.. that would suck going up hills... lol

At least I still get 7 psi of boost when my engine goes into limp mode...instead of the usual 14 psi or 1 bar.

Ive only sprayed gunk out of the exhaust gas control solenoids. That didnt make muxh difference.

Will have to try cleaning the other solenoids but im not sure how to access the boost solenoid in the left guard. I can see 2 tubes running from the primary turbo around the washer tank.. I assume those go to the hidden solenoid and vacumm tank?

#40 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I just find it hard to believe that it's a mechanical issue if boost returns after only an ECU reset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users