←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Jim's '99 Legacy GT-B

cowie165's Photo cowie165 20 Apr 2016

Jimbo I put one in a little while back. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.subyclub....4-rsk/?p=575400

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 20 Apr 2016

Champion!

Exactly what I was looking for.

Though, now I have a fancy BFM, I might grab one of those turbosmart gauges that matches the dash style. Autometer one I have (now) looks like it belongs on something early 90's!

Had one of those on my Gen4 GTB. Should have kept it. I always seem to either leave stuff in the cars when I sell them or part them out and sell them before moving on a car. Wish I had kept the Brembo's and exhaust from my Gen4...

7470.jpeg

Robert's Photo Robert 20 Apr 2016

A black faced defi would look good!

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 20 Apr 2016

1000x lols at the price of those things.

cowie165's Photo cowie165 21 Apr 2016

Champion!

Exactly what I was looking for.

Though, now I have a fancy BFM, I might grab one of those turbosmart gauges that matches the dash style. Autometer one I have (now) looks like it belongs on something early 90's!

Had one of those on my Gen4 GTB. Should have kept it. I always seem to either leave stuff in the cars when I sell them or part them out and sell them before moving on a car. Wish I had kept the Brembo's and exhaust from my Gen4...

Glad it can help! I really like the way the turbosmart gauge reasonably closes matches the BFM (white numbers, red needle). The light is brighter than the dash though - original plan was to try some window tint off cut and see if that made a poor man's BFM boost gauge.

For consideration, I painted the silver/polished surface on the TS gauge and the mounting parts. The silver stood out like a dog's you-know-what. Pics of the gauge with the black paint are with the link in my thread. It wasn't tough - masking tape on the body, masking tape on the face. Push the face tape down into the groove with something blunt (toothpick or a long fingernail) then run a knife (exacto craft knife from your model car building tools...!) around the groove (gently) a few times until you feel the knife go through the tape. Remove the excess, paint, and bob's your auntie's brother.

patttyfox's Photo patttyfox 21 Apr 2016

I've got my old STI controller and BF defi gauge if you're interested Jim..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 21 Apr 2016

Defi Racer gauge in white is perfect match for the BF cluster and only $200.

Robert's Photo Robert 21 Apr 2016

If jims not interested i could be

If jims not interested i could be

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 21 Apr 2016

Wob is the double posting machine lately

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 21 Apr 2016

All your Wob! Thanks for the offer Patty!

Ordered me a Turbosmart one :)

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 12 Jun 2016

So, after coming across some random symptoms I thought I might have a crack and see what's going on. What I thought was the front diff playing silly buggers turned out to be more of an issue with the Power Steering.

I had some left over DEX3 from when I topped up the AT last so I was set to give the PS system a flush and new fluids.

Popped off the line from the rack underneath and let that sucker drain for a bit, then topped up the reservoir. A few turns of the wheel later and the fluid is all set and ready to go.

While under the car I noticed the drivers side rack boot was slowly leaking fluid. I never assumed the PS was at fault but I never actually checked IN the reservoir as a quick look showed the level was okay. Turns out the fluid was so old and crusty, it had stained the reservoir and was always showing the same level! Looks like it has slowly been leaking out of the rack boot and gotten down to low levels, which I'm certain now was the source of the whining. Looks like it was the pump whining and not the front diff as I had thought.

Took the car to work today and the steering feels much much smoother and there's now no audible whining. I'm still getting a bit of a vibration on harder left turns at certain lock but I think I'm just delaying the inevitable. I slipped a few extra cable ties over the rack end boot to try and stem the flow for the meantime.

I think I might have to source out a steering rack and have it reco'd, then swap it out with the old one. Good excuse to do rack bushes aswell.

While under the car I also discovered the front diff requires a T70 Torx bit to undo the drain plug for the diff (wtf Subaru, seriously) so once I can borrow a tool I'll grab some oil and do both the front and rear diffs.

Just about everything now that contains oil of some sort has had a new lease on life. Car feels great today though. I pissed off the stupid pod filter and popped in a panel filter and the car feels so smooth and quiet.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo thing but having a quite intake makes me feel like the VOD is soooooo much smoother. Especially with all the angry induction sounds it makes on changeover when a pod is installed!

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 12 Jun 2016

It's nice to find and rectify things. Very satisfying.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 12 Jun 2016

Except the fact the steering rack will need replacing/rebuilding soon-ish... I'll keep an eye on it. So far, wags is feeling good again :)

Guest_KONG_* 13 Jun 2016

+1 for the stock airbox and smoother VOD.

Joss's Photo Joss 14 Jun 2016

Except the fact the steering rack will need replacing/rebuilding soon-ish... I'll keep an eye on it. So far, wags is feeling good again :)

If you've got the coin spare I'd recommend a quick rack. Great mod for the dollars spent

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 14 Jun 2016

If you've got the coin spare I'd recommend a quick rack. Great mod for the dollars spent

Nahh... never been interested in those sorts of mods. Maybe a few years ago! My main objective with this thing was for it too perform and feel as close as it as new. Closer, but a long way to go!

Actually reminded me Joss, was going to research on what it takes to rebuild a steering rack!

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 14 Jun 2016

Nahh... never been interested in those sorts of mods. Maybe a few years ago! My main objective with this thing was for it too perform and feel as close as it as new. Closer, but a long way to go!

Actually reminded me Joss, was going to research on what it takes to rebuild a steering rack!

Aladam went through this went he goofed his various racks. Pretty sure its a bit of a black art. Not really publicised what goes into it unfortunately 

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 14 Jun 2016

I found this guide but ghee whizz, I don't think it's something I could tackle and do correctly. I might leave this one to a professional, not that I want to pay for it.

I'm not really sure what I should do. Obviously the cheapest option as money doesn't grow on trees for me anymore. Would it be smarter to find someone local who can refurb the rack after I remove it (guessing about $300?) or just swap it straight out with a known second hand rack?

I personally would lean towards the refurb as the work has a guarantee and I know it won't fail 2 weeks down the track. It needs to be done sooner rather than later though :S

http://www.bbs.legac...php?f=6&t=45717

Adam's Photo Adam 15 Jun 2016

Ergh. Steering racks.

Be careful with the ports for the oil when you do it back up. It's an expensive mistake.

twinturbosubaru's Photo twinturbosubaru 15 Jun 2016

Interested to know how you go with this Jim, I need to replace the rack ends on my Brumby rack but wouldn't have a clue how to do it, now have a tried yet.....