←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Jim's '99 Legacy GT-B

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 29 Mar 2016

Got it to work this morning, no explosions lel

Still very smokey, lots of gunk burning off. Will do a UEC when i get home :)

aekOne's Photo aekOne 29 Mar 2016

great success!!

motoboy76's Photo motoboy76 29 Mar 2016

Top stuff Jimbo...

Glad to see its up and running.....

PeeKay's Photo PeeKay 29 Mar 2016

Awesome work!

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 29 Mar 2016

Runs like a dream! Opened it up a little bit on the way to/from work today. Bit of accessory belt whine but they're due for replacement anyway, maybe done up a tight.

Did an UEC this afternoon, should be able to purge the rest of the gunk on the way to work tomorrow.

Thing is filthy, needs a good scrub.

Unfortunately, having sat in the blistering heat for about a month, the clearcoat on the roof is getting worse. It's nearly spread over the whole roof. Makes me sad :( If I got the roof resprayed, aesthetically, it would be perfect for me! 

Awesome work!

Man, I actually spotted you a few weeks ago! I was in my sisters Lancer so a beep would have been fruitless.

I was waiting to turn onto Quakers Hill Parkway from Hambledon Rd and you came round the slip lane into Hambledon!

motoboy76's Photo motoboy76 29 Mar 2016

Good to hear it's running well mate.....

Top stuff once again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 16 Apr 2016

Okay!

Today's job was to finally get a BFM in. Using Nicks hand made adapter harness (which has been sitting here for like 6 months lel). I finally found a good priced Rev-E cluster from Japan and had it EMS'd over. Dang EMS is fast.

So what should have been a 15 minute plug and play ended up being a half day brain melt. 2 cheeky kent wires dislodged themselves from their plugs (one wire which bridges across 2 plugs was too short and kept pulling itself out) and I had blown the engine bay cluster fuse, due to one of the rogue wires touching something they shouldn't have. So, I had to extend the wire which was too short.

A trip up to Supercrap for a soldering iron and associated accessories, I managed to fix one of the said wires which broke itself away from the solder on the pin. All fixed and ready to get the thing going.

Got the bad boy in and hey presto it all worked.

Except for the red rings around the dials, not sure why they aren't working. Everything else does. Nick?

Edit: Derp. The rings are illuminated, too light to see them. Chucked a jumper over my head and the dash and they are working lel

20160416_143134_zpsn11dne4s.jpg

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 16 Apr 2016

Rev D wannabe. :P

Dang right! 11ty times better!

Guest_KONG_* 16 Apr 2016

Nice work dude.

Robert's Photo Robert 16 Apr 2016

Looks good

Is it really dim or is it the camera ?

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 16 Apr 2016

Finally! Sorry about the short wire issues. I had to guess how long some stuff needed to be cos no gen 3 to test it with. Glad the rest works out all good

Potato camera

motoboy76's Photo motoboy76 16 Apr 2016

Looks good Jimbo top stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 19 Apr 2016

Derp moment.

Hadn't realised that all of dash switching/AC lights were out and the cluster lighting didn't change when headlights were turned on.

Turns out I popped a second fuse putting the cluster in. Was the license plate/illumination fuse. Everything works great now!

Since I had my little auto-electrician venture, I was thinking I might tidy up my dodgy boost guage install. It's currently ghetto wired to an unused dash switch. The wiring is connected halfway across under the dash to the back of a blank switch so at the time I figured I'd just tap off one acc wire there. I professionally twisty tied the ends together and covered them with limp electrical tape (Mark, if you're reading this, I know you're cringing, hang in there).

Now I want to piss all that off and I wanted to do a neat install using one of those fuse taps I have seen people use before. It basically replaces the fuse and has a wire coming out of it you can add an accessory to, you then pop your fuse into the top of that. Like a piggyback thing I guess?

Advice needed, the interior fuse box is located in a handy position cm's away from my boost guage site. Which fuse would be the best one to run a piggyback off? I'm guessing the above mentioned 15amp one I just replaced, as it will allow the guage illumination to come on with accessories when the headlights are turned on. Secondly, anywhere you can buy these fuse taps off the shelf? I also noticed the tap only provides a +ive feed, I'm assuming I would need to earth the boost guage to something under the dash also, I think I just ghetto earthed it to another wire in the unused plug, can't remember.. #potatoelectrician

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 19 Apr 2016

I got a fuse tap thingo from supercheap. Wasnt cheap but the effort saved was worth it. I tapped into the cluster power which is always on in a gen 2. Might be a similar thing in a gen 3?

Staxta's Photo Staxta 19 Apr 2016

Hadn't realised that all of dash switching/AC lights were out and the cluster lighting didn't change when headlights were turned on.

Turns out I popped a second fuse putting the cluster in. Was the license plate/illumination fuse. Everything works great now!

That's probably the same reason all of mine are out :sarcastic:

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 19 Apr 2016

#justgen3things

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 19 Apr 2016

Had a look on eBay and picked up a pack of 2 for like a tenner with free postage coming from Vic somewhere.

Ill get some shrink wrap to tidy the vac line and wires from the gauge.

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 20 Apr 2016

Dodgy wiring install's! :P