161 replies to this topic

#21 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

I've just received all of my rego and insurance papers so I'll give you as much information as I possibly can as I too am with NRMA (and have never had an issue in the two years I've been with them so far, even when making a claim for an accident that wasn't my fault).

Rego = $339

Green Slip (with NRMA) = $767.52 (Premium = $558.89, GST = $55.89, MCIS Levies = $152.74)

Full Comprehensive Insurance (with NRMA) = $1,477.34 (agreed value)

Total = $2,583.86 per year

I am 26 at the moment, but by the time all of this stuff is due, I will be 27. I won't be paying anything until after my birthday though to see whether I can call up and get it lowered.

As a note, I have a loyalty discount of 7.5% ($111.41) as I've been with them for one year (two years by the time I make payment) and I have three policies with them; full comprehensive insurance, green slip and NRMA member/Free2go. I've also got a 65% No Claim Bonus.

Hope this helps. I'm spewing as well but hopefully me turning 27 helps out a little bit at least.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#22 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Yikes! For my comprehensive I pay $820 with Shannon's which covers the foz and liberty. I get a discount for holding a CAMS licence but I don't think it's much.

Bloody insurance. I've always had comprehensive since my first car but never had to make a claim. So much money gone

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#23 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

I assume I'll be able to notch it down a few hunge purely because I turn 27, apparently that's the cut off year as an "idiot driver" at the NRMA.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#24 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Shannons wouldnt even go near my car... Daily driven and too many weekly driven kms

I paid for my comprehensive last month... Been with Justcar for the past 6yrs and changed over to AAMI because they were $200 cheaper with additional roadside service... Go figure. Didnt matter that I turned 30. I think it comes down to area I live in... My rightoff doesnt come into play because it happened over 3 yrs ago.

Postcode 2166, $1217.05 includes roadside service would have been $1187.05 if I didn't chose roadside.

3rd Party would have been $887.15

I've also got a 65% No Claim Bonus.

Rego $436.00

CTP with QBE $762. last year was $772

Total: $2415.05

Next year I might consider 3rd Party if this bullshit keeps going up.

#25 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

its funny that people have problems with the daily driven thing with Shannons as it's never been a problem for me. i have no cap on my km's or frequency driven. Especially weird with you Chris as our cars are pretty much the same and i'm covered for all mods too.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#26 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

QLD rego and CTP......

haha.

Suckers.

Date of registration 16/07/2014 Quote type Registration renewal Include CTP insurance in quote Yes Vehicle type Passenger car Purpose of use Private Type of engine Cylinders Number of cylinders/rotors 4 Concession category No Concession Pay term 12 Months Pay mode Standard CTP insurance class Cars and station wagons Input tax credits entitlement (ITCE) No CTP insurer ALLIANZ   Registration fee 280.05   Traffic improvement fee 48.85   CTP insurance premium 334.60       ========   Total fee ($) 663.50     ========    

#27 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

CTP last year was $584 with NRMA

26, MY06 Forester XT Lux, 2323

#28 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Location and age seem to be the biggest factors here I reckon. And I think telling the truth with all of your details will prevent you having any issues in the future, especially when it comes to you making a claim. I know of many people that made a few dodgy selections in their quotes, have gone to make a claim and have been rejected as their details have been inconsistent with what the vehicle actually is.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#29 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I did some research.

Here is some light reading, in summary, if you live in NSW it's much better to be a pedestrian getting hit by a car, so my advice to you all is to pay your exorbitant CTP and then step out in front of traffic to maximise your recovery of costs. In QLD, we recognise that if the pedestrian is a knob, he doesn't get a pay out, so if there is no driver at fault the pedestrian bears the brunt of the consequences of an accident.

A comparison of the NSW and QLD Third Party Insurance Schemes.

stylish-hr.gif

In Queensland, as in NSW, you must have CTP insurance to register your vehicle.

The regulatory authority for CTP insurance in Queensland is the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC).

CTP insurance in Queensland is a separate component, but is included in your registration payment. The requirement in NSW is that your CTP greenslip must be purchased separately, before you can register your vehicle. Proof of purchase of your CTP greenslip, electronically or in hard copy, is required to register your vehicle in NSW.

Like the Motor Accidents Authority of NSW (MAA), the MAIC is funded by a levy imposed on each vehicle registration. The MAIC deducts levies from the payment (including their own funding levy) before the remaining proceeds are sent to the respective insurer.

In Queensland, as in NSW, you are allowed to change your CTP insurer every time you renew your registration. You must retain that insurer for the duration of your registration.

Queensland CTP Market Size

The total premium pool in Queensland in 2007/8 was $993,798,000 (Motor Accident Insurance Commission Annual Report 2007-08, page 27) compared to $1,200,000,000 (Motor Accidents Authority Annual Report 2007/2008, page 13) in NSW.

CTP Insurance Comparison

CTP insurance in Queensland is a common law "fault" based scheme. This is different to the NSW greenslip scheme in a number of ways.

Firstly, Queensland CTP insurance will cover injury claims caused by a motor vehicle, but only if the injured person can identify the motorist at fault and prove negligence by that motorist. If an injured person cannot prove negligence (or if the injured person is the driver at-fault), then they are not able to make a claim under CTP insurance. The MAIC website advises that if you are injured and there is no at-fault vehicle, "you will need to rely on sick leave, social security, Medicare and the public health system, unless you have other personal injury insurance and/or private health insurance" (MAIC Website). However, some CTP insurers will offer an additional benefit to cover this gap with at-fault driver cover for serious injury or death, and the MAIC operates as the "nominal defendant" in cases where the at-fault vehicle is not insured or cannot be identified (for example, a hit and run accident).

As a point of difference, NSW introduced additional legislation in October 2007 to cover people injured in an accident where the accident was simply no ones fault. This may include circumstances such as vehicle failure like sudden steering loss or where the driver suffered a heart attack or stroke. NSW also has “no fault†legislation that provides cover for children regardless of whether fault or negligence can be determined.

Secondly, Queensland CTP insurance provides unlimited liability, while claims under the NSW greenslip scheme are capped by a specified amount relevant to the type of injury.

CTP Insurer Permutations

There are significant differences to NSW in the way Queensland CTP insurance premiums are determined.

The MAIC sets a floor and ceiling price range for CTP insurance premiums every quarter. Insurers can then adjust their premiums but must always remain within the MAIC's price range. This is different to NSW where the MAA does not set a price range, but assess the premiums submitted by each of the seven greenslip insurers. The MAA has the right to reject premiums proposed by the insurers. A full explanation on setting green slip prices in NSW is set out on this site.

The other major difference is the number of insurance categories. NSW greenslip insurers are entitled to consider a motorists age, vehicle age, driving record, address, type of car, claims history and numerous other factors to set premiums. Queensland has a much simpler scope where the only adjustment an insurer can make is with regard to the type of vehicle. For example, all cars are classified as Category 1. This means that all cars across the state are charged the same premium by that insurer.

CTP Insurance Premium Comparison

For the 2007/8 Financial Year, the average premium paid in Queensland for a car was between $259.30 and $272.00, depending on insurer (Motor Accident Insurance Commission Annual Report 2007-08, page 28), while in NSW the overall best price premium as at 30 June, 2008 was $323.00 (Motor Accidents Authority Annual Report 2007/2008, page 13).

Queensland CTP Insurer Market Share

Six insurers provide CTP insurance cover in Queensland. Market share by premium is set out in the table below (Motor Accident Insurance Commission Annual Report 2007-08, page 15).

• AAMI 4.90%
  • Allianz 22.10%
  • NRMA 5.26%
  • QBE 4.74%
  • RACQ 15.19%
  • Suncorp Metway 47.81%

AAMI, Allianz, NRMA Insurance and QBE are also represented in the NSW greenslip market, while RACQ and Suncorp Metway are only in Queensland. NSW also has CIC Allianz, GIO and Zurich.

The dominance of Suncorp Metway is largely attributed to the fact they are a Queensland based CTP insurer. Nonetheless, their market share is relatively large when compared to the largest greenslip insurer in NSW, NRMA at 35.8%.

- See more at: http://www.greenslip...h.ShCf0tGu.dpuf

#30 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

21yrs old through NRMA 580 odd for green slip 2001 GT FOZ rego around 360 mark just short of 1k on the road for another 12months this was a month ago in June 

Just a thought being an Import may affect the price compared with Aus delivered vehicles?

#31 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

That is pretty steep even for an imported car.

The 5 is a lot cheaper to insure/register than my old WRX. This is for a 22 year old by the way.

Registration is $335.
CTP is $610.
Comprehensive insurance is $790.

#32 patttyfox

patttyfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I must be getting something wrong then..

Rego is $450 or there abouts

CTP is $760

Comprehensive was about $1800

Although I am 21.. Assuming that has a major impact

#33 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

That is pretty steep even for an imported car.

The 5 is a lot cheaper to insure/register than my old WRX. This is for a 22 year old by the way.

Registration is $335.
CTP is $610.
Comprehensive insurance is $790.

Damn that's cheap! What the hell...

I'd also like to point out that my full comprehensive insurance is on agreed value, not market value.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#34 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

From what I've seen, we'll be doing our best to keep our 2 Libertys registered in QLD. $650 a year per car which covers everything for rego.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#35 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

23, 02 WRX, 2113 = $760 CTP

Rego is about $300?

Comprehensive was $1100 with AAMI. I believe they have the age limit at 24, compared to most at 25 and NRMA at 27..

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#36 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

compo at NRMA is 25 i was told when i updated my policy for numberplate change 27 is CTP

#37 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Gary, my CTP to the cent is exactly the same as yours. So how can they tell me my old car is the reason for the higher excess?!

$484 for rego still seems heaps for me, considering Pat has the exact same car thereabouts and his is about $450.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#38 patttyfox

patttyfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Gary, my CTP to the cent is exactly the same as yours. So how can they tell me my old car is the reason for the higher excess?!

$484 for rego still seems heaps for me, considering Pat has the exact same car thereabouts and his is about $450.

I'll double check the rego papers tomorrow since I've actually got to pay it. $484 does ring a bell though.. nearly fell over when I saw the cost..

#39 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

compo at NRMA is 25 i was told when i updated my policy for numberplate change 27 is CTP

Full comprehensive insurance at NRMA is 27. I've got it on my papers now.

I've seriously got no idea man and it seems a bit suss. May be call them again and try out another customer service person to see whether they give you the same reasoning? I don't know whether to call them now or after I turn 27 to get the costs down due to meeting the age requirement to lower the costs a bit.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#40 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Full comprehensive insurance at NRMA is 27. I've got it on my papers now.

might be changing insurers next year then thats BS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users