• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

2.2 is an option for a gen 1 (GX) so engineer/vicroads wont care. People over think this, its about the chassis as a whole not just an RS turbo.

Read vsi-8 about displacement changes to boosted vehicles. From an already registered point of view I wouldn't stress so much but from wanting to get it rego'd I'd rather have it sorted without any issues arising - an issue like this could cost the RWC, booking fee then the cost of engineering if actually required. A risk I'm hesitant to take.

However the compression will be rather high and valves will possibly meet pistons. Rocker arm heads are funny like this.

I have it on good authority on RSlib forum that this setup works with the original RS heads. Some go another step further and replace pistons with the same as that from the US version of the RS (SS I think it was called - closed deck 2.2 litre, small turbo and no intercooler!)

Crank and rods could work. 2L cranks are all the same assuming you get a pre 99 one and 2L rods are same same turbo or NA.
If your budget is around 1k someone will have a stock 20G you can jam in and avoid cracking a block open.

I wish my budget was up there - and that I could find one but I'm currently working with what I've got rather than spending money where possible. I'd like to have this running next year before another possible house move.

Thanks for your input though Barbs. At the end if the day with a second set of HGs I could build the ej20h and a 22 with a little more effort.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#62 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

The US turbo heads are single cam and are pretty much identical to the EJ22E heads so cant really take them as an example. Good luck also getting 2.2 pistons. The yanks want good money for even bare blocks as they understand the value of a CDB 2.2. There are forged options but obviously not in the budget here lol.

I couldn't see anything in the VSI about changes to displacement. The onyl way to tell is to look at the casting thats under the PS pump that a RWC person isnt going to check nor is a vic roads inspector. Rebuilding the 20H is probably the best bet. Im not sure if youre on facebook but get into the RS Liberty Club group. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction or sell you a good engine

tIeW8DE.png

#63 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Last RWC on my brumby the engine designation is the first part of the engine number.

Strangely this isn't the case on my sister's liberty that was RWC'd at the same place by the same mechanic...

Well anyway, I'm now working out how to get all my parts up to benders as they're in storage at my m&d's place an hr away.

I'm keen to get into this (again)!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#64 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Got the two engines in the shed now. And I reckon I've got the solution for this:

Use the NA block, crank and rods without splitting the block.
Put the turbo pistons (with new rings) into the NA block. Use matching turbo heads, swap on oil pump, water pump, oil cooler, sump and pick up etc.

All of this swings off the pistons and bores being within spec. If they're not I'll have to rummage through my parts stash to see what can be put together.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#65 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

Should work in theory. As long as the bore isnt fubar

tIeW8DE.png

#66 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Hey Bennie..

Thought id pop back in and see how it is all going......

Keep at it mate you will get there......

#67 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

It's getting there. Bores look mint. Now just finding time to get it all together between other things.

Went to a local car club meeting last week. Interesting bunch to say the least. I reckon I was the youngest there and I'm in my mid thirties. We'll see how we go, I have to be accepted into the club before I'm eligible for club rego - and thats a three month process of attending meetings and club events ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RS wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users