Photo

The SC Mutha-Flippin GT - What's a 4rum?

• Please log in to reply
1627 replies to this topic

#1541 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:50 AM

Hoist working yet Ben, or still needs power?

The joint I bought with the missus has a main board at the front of the house and 3 sub boards, one of which is in the shed, so when I first looked at the place I thought I would have zero power issues.... In the shed the other day I had a 1200w blow heater running, a 60w soldering iron plus all the lights on. Flicked the switch for the compressor and the whole shed goes dark.... tripped the garage breaker at the main board. Seems silly having 2 power and 1 light circuits at the sub board in the shed running off a breaker at the main board?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#1542 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:11 PM

Unfortunately not yet Jase. One of those low priority jobs that's going to take a days solid work to make it go. Everything is there setup hoist wise, but just waiting on me to get a decent size cable installed to the shed itself.

That sounds like the breaker feeding the shed sub board in the main board is only 16A, and doesn't like having 6A running before starting the compressor. Could also have the capacitors in the compressor not quite where they should be now too. They are a common issue in a lot of motorised stuff (at least older gear). First thing I'd be checking. Capacitor problems will be highlighted when you try and start them.

Actually Jase, flick me a text message, we can discuss there. Forgot you had that. I'm shocking at PMs here.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#1543 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 13 June 2023 - 12:55 AM

Random question:

For a test fire of an engine, can I/is there a way to prevent the turbo from rotating as it won’t have an oil feed or oil drain on it?

I want to test my engine loom cut down job to make sure it works and can run the engine properly. Once this is established I’ll sort out the turbo properly. Don’t stress, there aren’t any oil ports to worry about leaking oil everywhere yet.

Let me know your ideas pls!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#1544 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 07:34 AM

The only thing I can think of Bennie, is to remove it and just let the engine run sans turbo. If you have an external waste gate that you can force open so to speak, you could get away with just blanking off the exhaust up pipe, but it's probably easier to just remove the turbo if it's got an internal gate, remove the risk of spinning the turbine altogether.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#1545 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:01 PM

No external wastegate, just a TD04 or the original TF035 or whatever that odd small turbo from the GT foz is… Sans turbo could work if I worked out how to plumb the intake tract to the intercooler pipe.

Thinking about this further after reading your suggestion “on the fly” at work Ben, I reckon I could possibly get away with plugging the oil drain pipe and half filing the turbo cartridge with some synthetic oil to keep it lined up. It won’t be doing any work and I don’t have a cooling system hooked up so run time will be short at best.

I think this will be the best compromise - and use the TD04 that has the shot wastegate shaft unless that’s the one with the snout on it for the RS. I need to check my parts again…

Let me know if this oil idea sucks otherwise leave it with me and I’ll keep up posted on the out come. I just need to get a day or two to play on this project sans distractions!!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1546 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:25 PM

To be honest Bennie, might be worth just buying some poly plumbing fittings for the intake to mimic the turbo tract, be relatively easy and more importantly, cheap. Might need to sort out something with the up pipe, either remove and let it discharge out near the headers, or some other contraption to push it out of the bonnet while you idle it. Just rem9ember to disconnect the oxy sensor, as having free flowing cold air around them is a good way to kill them I've been told.

Putting a flex oil line to and from the turbo would probably be best, at least you can put a decent sized reservior in an elevated position so it's at least getting some oil. Is it worth just getting the respective parts to put the oil lines in before starting it so you don't have to worry about any of this? At least this way you won't run the risk of killing turbo bearings.

Cheers,
Ben

#1547 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 11:55 AM

The issue with hooking up the oil lines is that I’m effectively doing the NA-t setup so I don’t have to cut my chassis rails to make it fit in the MY platform. So I need to sort out the oil return line and I’m on the fence as to how I want to do this. Plus if this engine won’t run that’s a wasted exercise.

Plan K could be to hook up the oil in line and have the oil drain line into a bucket - I’d just need to ensure I have lots of oil in the engine. It would be interesting to see how much oil moves through the turbo too, not that there would be much since it won’t be doing much above idle for very long anyway!

You’ve got me thinking and I’m keen to get some play time this weekend to see if I can get it started. This could be the kick in the pants I’ve needed for a long time!

Cheers mate,

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1548 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:36 PM

I'm just thinking of setting up a big reservior well above the turbo and hang it from the (I'm guessing here) raised bonnet. I wouldn't block the drain port as this will just cook the oil inside the bearings, you need flow, even if it's just gravity feed from the reservoir. Put a tub under the drain line to catch it. Check the reservior extremely regularly initially until you understand how quickly the gravity feed drains through the turbo.

Then you won't need to worry about making the permanent oil lines to the engine, and can still start and run the engine on idle with the turbo all hooked up as it would be normally. I wouldn't rev it, as spooling the turbo may pull a lot more oil from your makeshift reservior.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers,
Ben

#1549 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 01:51 PM

Total sense and I reckon that might be the go. Thanks heaps Ben!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1550 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:16 PM

Hopefully it works man, if you find it's gravity feeding to much, you can always put a tap on the drain line to slow down the flow without losing oil from the bearings. Just make sure the tap is in the drain line and not the feed line, in the feed line the oil will freely drain still, and with no oil to replace it, will starve the bearings.

Cheers,
Ben

#1551 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 05:58 PM

Hi Cubts  :ph34r:

#1552 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:02 PM

Hi Cubts  :ph34r:

Hey JDP,

Welcome to Subyclub forum.

Do you want to introduce yourself ??

As most of the peeps in here know each other

#1553 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 06:58 AM

Hey JDP,

Welcome to Subyclub forum.

Do you want to introduce yourself ??

As most of the peeps in here know each other

Hi My name is Josh and it has been 7.5 hrs since my last drink. Formally known as KONG and I think we might've met at some point but I can't be sure as dementia is kicking in.

I tried to update my email address a while back & was locked out of my account. Paul tried to fix it but, no dice.

It was just easier to make a new account so I could get back to posting the occasional rant and perhaps even a new build thread on the WRX at some point. Looking forward to hearing about your updates on the OBK.

Question...

What is the easiest way to image share these days? I used to photobucket but clearly they've gone to shit. 

#1554 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 08:47 AM

Welcome back! I was thinking I recognised that language, and it wasn't just a new member lol

What's cracking dude!

I've just been hosting the image here in the gallery, as even imgur has somewhat made life hard nowadays. Photobucket has been shite for a long while now! Just got to keep the image size down to keep the file size in check so we don't abuse the system here.

Cheers,
Ben

#1555 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 09:01 AM

Hi Ben, hope you're well mate. Things are pretty good on my end & I've been checking in on the forum from time to time but haven't been able to comment for ages, which really sucked.

I tried flickr yesterday and can't get it to work, even uploading a profile pic was a mission. I'll try the gallery I guess. (edit- yep that worked. Cheers)

#1556 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 05 July 2023 - 05:11 PM

Hi My name is Josh and it has been 7.5 hrs since my last drink. Formally known as KONG and I think we might've met at some point but I can't be sure as dementia is kicking in.

I tried to update my email address a while back & was locked out of my account. Paul tried to fix it but, no dice.

It was just easier to make a new account so I could get back to posting the occasional rant and perhaps even a new build thread on the WRX at some point. Looking forward to hearing about your updates on the OBK.

Question...

What is the easiest way to image share these days? I used to photobucket but clearly they've gone to shit. 

Hey Kong Dawg,

When I saw you had updated your location to the CC, thought it might of been you.

Fuken dementia is right you old cubt.

Catching up with you for dinner @ The Dam was good m8.

Like you I have only just got back into my account, as my virus protection didn't like subyclub.

#1557 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 05:53 PM

Hey Kong Dawg,

When I saw you had updated your location to the CC, thought it might of been you.

Fuken dementia is right you old cubt.

Catching up with you for dinner @ The Dam was good m8.

Like you I have only just got back into my account, as my virus protection didn't like subyclub.

Yeah it was awesome to see you and the boyz. I hope it's not that long between drinks for us next time.

I hope you find time to update your build thread when you get into the new mods m8. I really look forward to hearing about it.

I'm writing up a build thread for the WRX at the moment, it's not going to be as hectic as most are but it's a great way to keep a record of the shit we do to our cars right. 

#1558 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 05:26 PM

Whoops…

ENDSuE.jpg

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1559 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 07:20 PM

Hahahaha, I'd get murdered if I brought home another car lol

For parts or for build there Bennie?

Kong, I've been waiting for another build thread! It is an amazing way to keep track of what happens and when!

Cheers,
Ben

#1560 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 09:28 AM

This one will be a build.

And if I bring any more home I’m sure I’ll be found in a shallow grave somewhere!

It’s going to be some fun. Interior shot, all fixed widow rubbers severely perished. Both of these will be the big ticket items to sort out with the window rubbers being next level up as I’m 99% sure new replacements are not a thing.

So little rust it’s unbelievable.

Anyway, I’ll leave the rest to the start of the build thread ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users