Photo

The SC Mutha-Flippin GT - What's a 4rum?

• Please log in to reply
1627 replies to this topic

#1561 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 July 2023 - 10:49 PM

IT’S ALIVE!!!

And the start of the build thread can be found here: http://www.subyclub....-station-wagon/ for those that want to have a read - pack a lunch (sorry and not sorry!)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#1562 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:13 AM

Yass! Another build thread! Good shit Bennie!

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#1563 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:20 AM

IT’S ALIVE!!!

Haha the dragon breathes! 

Is that you in the flame pic, Bennie?  

#1564 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:35 PM

Is that you in the flame pic, Bennie?

The one and only Kong! I let the beard and hair happen during our last lockdown

If you want to see a younger me searcher up build a Subi and have some fun by El_Freddo on the youtubes ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1565 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 11:37 AM

Haha! That's an awesome video, Ruby Scoo is a freakin beast!

That's so impressive man. Great to watch.

#1566 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Kong! All those old videos that got YouTube moving back in the day are hiding in the shadows and generally hard to find these days ;(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1567 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 11:50 PM

Back to post #1543 on page 78 where I asked about jamming a turbo (to stop it rotating as no oil lines) to do a test fire on a bit of an experimental engine setup - had a brain wave today while working on the MY wagon. Why not just remove the turbo and fit the AFM to the throttle body? I could add some pipe length to protect the AFM sensor in case it decides to back fire.

Possibly genius, why didn’t we think of this earlier??

I need to get my external fuel pump or go buy another one. Pros and cons each way as the one I have I think is at M&D’s and that’s 1.5hrs one way from me…

Start ya bastard will be used to see if it will pop, this should tell me that the COP conversion works and that I can continue forward with this project. If they won’t fire this is dead in the water I think (but it could also be the security module - got all wired up I believe but can’t get the dash light LED to illuminate thus far.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1568 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 10:05 AM

I thought the problem you were trying to solve was oil feed to the turbo, not correct airflow readouts to the ecu?

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#1569 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 11:02 AM

Not quite (yet anyway!), Im trying to avoid sorting the oil return line until I know this engine works. Id ideally be able to idle and rev this engine before moving forward with fiddly bits like the turbo oil return, coolant hoses, radiator setup (pretty stock-standard EJ conversion part here), gearbox cross member etc.

Once I know this engine setup runs with the cutdown factory loom Ill go ahead with fixing the turbo in place properly and again test running (no load yet) before pulling it all apart to replace HGs and clean it all up for final install.

One piece at a time ever so slowly.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1570 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 12:29 PM

The only issue I can see with moving the AFM is it needs to be the exact same size tube as stock for it to read correctly. Same issue I have with the new airbox setup I have on the track car. Any chance you can run the standard (for the engine) airbox setup and just adapt it for the car?

#1571 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 July 2023 - 12:34 PM

Old mafs are all 1 piece and the sensor lives in its own tube. They dont care about sizing pre and post.

Doing that would be the move. Trying to jam the turbo sounds like a bad idea for the turbo itself and whatever you try and jam it with

Im assuming the goal here is a turbo EJ22 of sorts?

tIeW8DE.png

#1572 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:19 PM

NAh Barbs, not turboing an EJ22 although that was the first plan and would probably be done by now if I hadnt have spoken with an engineer. What killed that plan was that Id need an emissions test certificate (or a pass, whatever they needed) if I was to go with turbo and intercooler for engineering. Just doing one or the other was ok though. Go figure.

Ben, barbs is right about the AFM, just unbolt the tube it lives in from the air box and fit wherever you want it to be so long as the plug reaches and fits in properly.

So onto the next incarnation - which I got started yesterday on some start ya bastard and some fuel in the throttle body (it was clear the intake is only designed for air with EFI vehicles), it spluttered to life for a bit and died due to lack of fuel and probably no MAF reading even though it was plugged in but not over the throttle body. One wire in the loom was what held me back from this test fire for the last three weeks or so!

Now on to sorting:
- turbo oil return line (current hurdle)
- coolant system including radiator
- modifying (read making a straight through) up-pipe to relocate the front O2 sensor to clear body work
- a gearbox crossmember for the AWD box that also clears the sway bar that takes the scenic route under the vehicle (it passes BEHIND the AWD gearbox mount!
- sort out that turbo and master cylinder nipple love action

Then I need to do the finicky bits:
- clutch cable adaptation
- shortening the gear shifter lever and support rod
- get a lengthened tailshaft made up. Ive got a mate that know whats needed for this and its probably going to be the most expensive single item for this conversion
- make the EJ PS lines fit the EA81 rack
- tidy up, wrap and layout the wiring in the front cut the way itll be in the brumby.
- mod exhaust to fit the brumby. I know the dump pipe clears everything it needs to even with the factory cat in it which is good.

And work on the MY wagon, sort out the RS engine and the rest of it and get Ruby Scoo up to ours to also play with. Its like the castle but with projects to a degree!

So maybe in five years itll be done on this turbo project.. :fork: n

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1573 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 08:49 PM

I was not aware of that, that's awesome, makes life easy. The other one for a more permanent fix, don't put it after the turbo compressor. The added pressure of the turbo will not be allowed for in the design of the AFM, so it will be incorrectly metering the air flow. This is why most turbos have the MAF immediately after the filter. The added airflow created by the turbo suction will be metered by leaving it pre turbo. If you're looking into sensors to put in post turbo, most use MAP sensors, but as is usual, a retune will be required to do it.

I could be wrong, but thats my line of thinking anyways. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

In other news, how good is the resurgence of the forums! Quite a few of the OG's making an appearance of late!

Cheers,
Ben

#1574 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 July 2023 - 10:57 PM

^ agreed Ben, so many old members and new build threads. Good stuff!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#1575 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 08:05 AM

I was not aware of that, that's awesome, makes life easy. The other one for a more permanent fix, don't put it after the turbo compressor.

All good Ben. The relocation was just to get the engine running. The AFM will be returned to the factory spot. Once done, this conversion should hopefully look like it came like this from the factory. Since I got the engine to run even fora second or two I don’t need to do the relocation trick as I’ll plumb it all up now as it was from factory and give it a run and hopefully some revs too.

In other news, how good is the resurgence of the forums! Quite a few of the OG's making an appearance of late!

Too right! I don’t know how we used to forum when there was so much going on every day. I guess that’s why ppl generally stuck to one forum with an outlier or two that were of interest.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1576 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:38 PM

The solution is to simply not involve an engineer lol. Frankly libertys and such fly so far under the radar that unless your shit is hacked up with an LS or JZ hanging out the bonnet no one will know the difference. 

Make it neat and tidy and believable that it came like that from factory and no road worthy mechanic is gonna know the difference. If a cop wants to dick you they'll find a way anyway.

You can run a maf post turbo and is/was a bit of a thing to get around them losing their shit with a venting bov or lack there of. Obviously it needs tuning/rescalling but it can be done.

I dont actually have any idea what youre up to so cant comment anything else lol

tIeW8DE.png

#1577 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 18 July 2023 - 07:36 PM

Frankly libertys and such fly so far under the radar 

A dirty old bit of 90's junk was done by a copper in Bargo less than a month ago, not that far under the radar

#1578 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 10:58 PM

The solution is to simply not involve an engineer

True that. But I want this legit.

I dont actually have any idea what youre up to so cant comment anything else lol

All good barbs, you guys have been plenty helpful! I will reveal all once the time comes. It could still be a fizzer yet, and if it is I’ll still detail it for others to pick over and maybe do it better than my project.

A dirty old bit of 90's junk was done by a copper in Bargo less than a month ago, not that far under the radar

And that’s what I’ll be worried about! Dailyed Ruby Scoo for many years always fearful of that moment of being pulled over and have the vehicle gone over! She would never see rego again after that…

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#1579 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:59 AM

And that’s what I’ll be worried about! Dailyed Ruby Scoo for many years always fearful of that moment of being pulled over and have the vehicle gone over! She would never see rego again after that…

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah........... I don't miss that feeling one bit.

#1580 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:01 PM

What the :fork: is up with this?!

Jgfu8q.jpg

Sign of the times or something to be concerned about?

I’ve had to use these parts as I need them and I doubt I’d be able to send them back anyway. Rock and a hard place ;(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users