Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

More tings happened this past weekend

Finally dont have to pay rent for 2 properties as well as cashing in my insurance for the sedan and selling the 5 speed left me with some coin to play with. Bought myself a gurni, all new bolts for everything in the rear end and some more jack stands etc. 

The underside of the car had a coating of dirt that youd expect from a 20 year old car
8soHeL7.jpg
So saturday arvo i got under and cleaned it
7cAzBF2.jpg
Was a miserable job and I came out looking like a coal miner. But now you can touch anything under the car without getting crap on your hands. It looks dirty still but thats just the colour of the oem rubber stuff i guess. I then turned my attention to the wheel wells. After a through hosing they came out good but still messy. Either the black coating comes off or the paint over the coating comes off.

jClVHFA.jpg

Either way i wanted black to hide dirt and other crud. So some thick coats of more rubber deadener went on

ptYkTW3.jpg

Minty fresh.

Cleaned the fuel tank up more with the gerni and got it pretty good. The dirt thats there is so engrained into the rubber it survives a pressure washer 1" away. Nuts. Also finally got my hands on some Gates Barricade hose at $20 a meter :o
16G9QAb.jpg.

Had some spare time after replacing the rear struts in my missos car to chon the fuel tank back in. So I did

1Y3Fmte.jpg.

Poo photo but whatever. Obviously its hard to clean the underside of the tank when its out so thatll get done before the subframe goes in. Might give it another coat of black rubber stuff as well seeing as some got scraped off in the act of removing it.

tIeW8DE.png

#22 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hey Barbs,

If those jack stands are SCA units, I had the same set and found out there was a recall on them. If you take them to SCA they'll give you refund/replacement units. I now have a shiny red set ;)
(they may have to look it up on the system as it's an old recall, I happened to chance on an old recall poster in the Sunbury SCA).

Good progress pics mate. Pics are always great :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#23 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hey Barbs,

If those jack stands are SCA units, I had the same set and found out there was a recall on them. If you take them to SCA they'll give you refund/replacement units. I now have a shiny red set ;)
(they may have to look it up on the system as it's an old recall, I happened to chance on an old recall poster in the Sunbury SCA).

Good progress pics mate. Pics are always great :D

Cheers

Bennie

I had a feeling that was the case. Might look into it. Ive always been doubtful of the design so use the threaded section as little as possible anyway

tIeW8DE.png

#24 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Recall notice: 

https://www.products...e-safety-stands

#25 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Oh no ill have to go to supercheap on the weekend. What a shame  :dance:

tIeW8DE.png

#26 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

forken sweet mate!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#27 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

No stuff happened this weekend due to family events :\. But a big box of all brand new hardware arrived. 
Z0iWKWT.jpg
All the bolts, nuts and washers i could get my hands on for the suspenion arms and mounts as well as fresh caps for the front lateral link bolts. 

Also swapped the recalled jack stands for a brand new non screw type set. Winner

tIeW8DE.png

#28 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Parts going onto the car for the first time in a while. 

GD subframe with oem metal bushes. The GD subframe mounts the control arms lower so you get better roll centres. Same principle as the bump steer kits in the front.
GD 2 pot hubs
GD Pink STI control arms. 10mm wider track and pillow ball bushes. 

OEM billies for RWC purposes

Hardrace swaybar links and mounts as the GD arms use a box endlink but the STi one breaks easily with anything other than stock bars. The pair that came with the arms was already broken lol

qs5nN41.jpg

I had some left over high heat paint so gave the muffler heat shield a coating 

Ju3m1mq.jpg

Also sold my VF23 and picked up this bicc boi thanks to Wob

qVwFhI7.jpg

APS SR56 which is a GT3076 in subaru housings. The rear housing is huge at 0.94 so will swap it out for a mamba .63 or similar to help it spool this century. 

tIeW8DE.png

#29 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

After briefly installing my coilovers from the sedan to remove the 20cm of droop to get my swaybar endlinks connected, swapping over my trailing arm mounts to GD ones to match the subframe and installing new 04+ GD reinforced sway bar mounts; the suspension is done in the rear :D
JV8xGCI.jpg

It was only after id put the wheels on and gave them a push that i found one of the wheel bearings is shot  :dash2:. So off the car they come again. On the bright side fresh bearings and a stiffer bush in the lower trailing arm wont hurt. Can give the hub and dust shield a nice lick of paint too. 

Advans fit noice with the 10mm of wider track
luYYwQn.jpg

Going along with my theme of buying stuff i wont use for 1 year ive picked up some ID1000 injectors to match the turbski and last night at 11:30 won an 05 2.2 turn quick rack for $96 on yahoo  :yahoo: .They do fit a the early turbo crossmembers but I need one anyone as i dont want to pinch the one from my sedan as that stops it rolling and the wagon came with an NA member that i cant be assed installing into the sedan tbh so may as well get an 05+ STi crossmember. Was going to rebush the control arm so getting GD bushes solves that issue as well.

Mad

tIeW8DE.png

#30 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

I'll give you a tray of out of season tomatoes for the quick rack?

#31 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:25 AM

I'll give you a tray of out of season tomatoes for the quick rack?

Such a nice bloke,

Does great deals too.

#32 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:43 AM

Nice work Nick! I bet you didn't do that during last week's weather!!

Classic bumpty!

Keep up the good work (both of you :P)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#33 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

Nice work Nick! I bet you didn't do that during last week's weather!!

Classic bumpty!

Keep up the good work (both of you :P)

Cheers

Bennie

Nup the weekend before when it was warmish. 

Injectors arrived on friday, quick rack is with IM in japan and turbot still with wob. Trying to decide what to do after getting the wheel bearings done. Probably diff and outrigger then handbrake stuff. Plan is to buy a slapper GX for parts if i can so i can basically bin the interior of the wagon thats just floating in the boot and pissing me off.

Then get the carpet, trims, intake track, hand brake cables and a bunch of other stuff thatd take time and money to get from a wrecker

tIeW8DE.png

#34 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

Been a while since i did an update. Mainly cos not much has happened. About time i put some money into our now single car, my old gx, that dearly needs a timing belt and a major service. Still managed to spend money on more bits lel.

My bicc turbo arrived with Wob when he came down for a track day and to fix bumptys GTB. 
4POamI8.jpg
It fits, it might not fit when it has a 4" inlet comp cover lel but thats an issue for later.

Picked up a manual outhouse slapper for the loom, interior trims and flywheel for the GX
ONwwVOP.jpg

Sold my 4/2 pots and have a set of Brembos on hold with a mate. No pics yet

And last night i bought these bad bois
4yjcauT.jpg
Rays Gramlights 57S 17x7.5 +40. Im 99% sure theyll clear brembos (someone on oz foz has a set that do). They wont be staying gold but. As 40 offset is a bit spicey ill be binning the widtrack idea and the plan is to get some hardrace arms instead.

Also had my hubs and backing plates powder coated while they were apart for wheel bearings, which arrived yesterday. 
NPbxd2n.png

r3cLHut.png

tIeW8DE.png

#35 GNGBNG

GNGBNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Love those wheels

#36 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

+1 for those wheels, good choice 

#37 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

Cheers bois. Bit more than i was planning on spending but worth it i reckon. 

tIeW8DE.png

#38 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

I'm more impressed by the detail with the trailing arms and backing plate powder coating!

Does this add a considerable expense to your build?

If you have a 4wd - ANYTHING painted is 1000 times easier to clean after a sesh, especially when dried mud is involved ;)

Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#39 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

It's not superrrrr expensive. The hubs and plates were 160. Adds a bit of time depending on how busy the guy is.

tIeW8DE.png

#40 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Been all quiet on the western front again. Ordered some hardrace arms to replace the STi ones and hubs should be back during the week for install on the weekend. In the mean time i got stuck into stripping the outhouse. Got myself some bicc tubs and started pulling off the trims, clips, screws etc that id need to get the wagon back together. I didnt get as much as id like given that the car was a farm car so anything on the divers side at foot level was forked, as was the boot floor. But the wiring and upper trims is all good. Pulled the entire rear harness out as it has a ciggie lighter in the rear.

6oqmxXE.jpg

Got a nice box of trims and foam stuff
PknIQWK.jpg

And a good throw away pile
PVNbuvo.jpg

Got stuck into getting the dash out yesterday which was fun with no interior to protect me from sharp sheet metal -_- but this isnt the first time ive done it so 45 mins later it was out

13ZiRfo.jpg

Heck of a lot easier to get to everything with the dash beam gone and theres less back there than i thought
Rajnwdb.jpg

j1kbrvF.jpg

Got the AC box out, which needs a hekkkin good clean and then downed tools for the day.
qAJEhNZ.jpg

Couldnt forget the obligatory dash beam RPG photo
wkk570L.jpg

Awfully tempted to get it powder coated  :scratch_one-s_head:

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users