Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#161 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 August 2021 - 11:15 AM

You'd be surprised how much force you can put on something with a 4ft breaker bar. Busting gears when there's a bolt there as a weak point pretty well dictates the gears will be fine, but hey. When dropping clutches, it's the shock load (with the rotating mass) that kills things, not so much the actual initial drop.

Tensioner was brand new that was able to be pushed in. Put it on wrong and had to take it off and reset the piston so I could put the tensioner back on properly. Most belts don't need huge amounts of force being exerted on them to keep them true.

Anyways, car is going well, just driving it to and from work and that's about it.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#162 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:31 PM

Whats a cluster gear?

Cheers

Bennie

I forgot the Subaru box uses what is effectively the cluster as the output, so yeah all loads go though the gear teeth.

Given it takes more power than people think to break a 5 speed gear outright youd be doing pretty well to actually shear a tooth off undoing the crank bolt

Busting gears with your breaker bar is fantasy land.

You are both probably right.

I have rebuilt a handful of Aussie 4sp and Toyota Hilux (with Holden V8s) gearboxes with the teeth torn off the input and cluster, so I'm probably a bit paranoid. Having said that, I'm still going to break crank bolts free in 4th gear.

Anyways, car is going well, just driving it to and from work and that's about it.

Cheers,
Ben

Good to hear!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#163 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:01 AM

Finally got sick of the turbo coolant line that's been leaking since I put the 1.3 bar radiator cap on this about 6 or 8 years ago. Put a proper hose clamp on rather than the spring clamp Subaru use. Wala, no more topping up the coolant every couple of weeks!!

Other than that, bugger all has been happening. Just work really. Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheers,

Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#164 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:55 AM

Something else to be cautious of with a 1.3 bar cap is your heater core. Although considering the future of the car a blown heater core coming into summer probably isnt a big deal haha

tIeW8DE.png

#165 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:33 PM

Yea, not really lol. Plans are afoot for a few more bits of spice if it all comes off. I'll be able to say more next week once everything is confirmed. Until then, you'll have to wonder...

Cheers,
Ben

#166 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

Ill be the first to put my hand up in a partout

tIeW8DE.png

#167 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:00 PM

Ill be the first to put my hand up in a partout

And I'd expect nothing less lol

That said, by the time this happens, you'll probably have all my parts of spice anyways!

#168 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:41 PM

Well, everything worked as planned today... So I can say more... Just didn't want any of you clowns stealing my thunder and buying it out from under me.

There's an FRP S401 front bar on the slow boat over. It will be given a basic backyard coat of paint and clear, then stuck on the car.
It won't be a bodge job, but it probably won't be a workshop finish either.

Was a relative bargain really. 30,000¥, so about $370 Australian.

The only reason I pulled the trigger on this considering this car is going to be stripped in the not so distant future is that being FRP, I'll simply cut the top off it and then graft on the gen2 top so I can put it on the race car when I'm done. After taking some snaps of a gen3 front bar on the gen2, I don't reckon it looked half bad, so this little plan hatched in my head. Really surprised I got it to be honest. Thought it would go for more.

Will keep this updated.

http://www.subyclub...._53_1078293.png

Cheers,
Ben

#169 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:35 PM

That’s one happy looking front bar!

Well done mate. It’s very satisfying getting something you’ve gone hunting for, especially when a plan is hatched (the itch) that can then be scratched good and proper!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#170 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

Yea, I've been kicking myself since giving Tim my old K2 401 bar, so it's nice to get another one.

#171 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:44 AM

After seeing this the other day i think you should give it to me instead of chopping it up so i can live out my S401 wagon fantasy
MAdQXdQ.png

tIeW8DE.png

#172 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, I dunno Nick, I've been pouting that I gave away my first 401 front bar, it's pretty unlikely I'll give up my second one...

#173 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:14 AM

How about trading Nick’s first born for the front bar - oldskool style trade!

That S401 wagon looks tits! Tidy but not in your face!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#174 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:30 PM

Plans are afoot. 401 bar is waiting on a container to be put in, in less than a fortnight I'll have a H6 2003 outback to grab the running gear out of, and I've got my eye on a silver rev D gen3 wagon to put it all into.
Might be a month or so to put it all together, which is longer than I want, but this sort of stuff takes time.

Long story short, I need a new car thats capable of carrying lots of shit, missus doesn't like this thing I'm in now, and 4wds are way over priced these days. So I stuck to what I know and got another suby!

401 stuff and all the nice bits from this will end up on the new car, I'm picking up Barbs seats from the GTB, so it'll have all the blue black leather to suit a wagon, and the drivetrain from this car will go into the track car like was originally supposed to happen.

Other than these plans, nothing major has happened.

Cheers,
Ben

#175 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:16 PM

Leaving it auto or doing the manual dance as well? Let me know when the spanner swinging starts. Will try and help out

tIeW8DE.png

#176 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:33 PM

The auto is staying with the wagon daily, and the manual is going into the track car, cos you know, race car.

Cheers for the offer dude. Engine and trans swaps are always easier with more hands. Will let ya know when I start the entertainment.

#177 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

And I've just put a deposit down on the gen3 wagon that I had the eye on. Will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. Sweet! Projects ahoy!

#178 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:44 PM

I like the sounds of these plans Ben!

Did someone say *cough* turbo H6?

:)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#179 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:35 AM

Pics of new wagon or ban

tIeW8DE.png

#180 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

Always exciting introducing a new ride to the stables!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users