Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#141 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

Hahaha, yea true lol, bloody new south welshmen! (Coming from a Victorian lol)

How's things over there Gaz?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#142 ChrisLovell

ChrisLovell

Southwest Mexican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports and flying

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:18 PM

Cheers Bennie, been good so far, this will make it easier than it already is... I copped a little bit of a pay cut for the new position, but her increase more than makes up for it. 

Ordered all the bits from partsouq today for the timing belt. bit of a mixed bag of parts as I had to use different parts to make up the ones that were not available, hopefully the alternate parts are actually right!!!

Weekend is mere hours away! Yes!

Cheers,

Ben

I bet you regret getting excited about last weekend coming hahaha

outback Rs edit

Threads: Chris' MY01 Outback

Chris' MY93 RS Turbo

#143 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

Hahaha, well, somewhat Chris... Owdi is painful! What should have been an hour long job ended up being a day and a half, because euro... But, I just picked up my Aramex package of bits from Dubai.

Not sure I should have touched it with bare hands after it's been through Sydney, but you know...
Haha, all good. New toys I need to put on the old venerable bucket of bolts soon.

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#144 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:34 PM

Hey Ben, did I see your RX out the front of Woolies either Saturday (or was it Sunday) arvo? 

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#145 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:36 PM

In Ararat Jase? If so, probably, theres only a couple of gen3s in town here, and mines the only one with a different coloured bonnet. More than likely Sunday, as I don't think Chris and I went anywhere Saturday cos we were swearing at his Audi in the shed.

#146 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 10 July 2021 - 12:16 AM

Hehehe... swearing at his Audi in the shed. I’m yet to do something like this :P

I love buying parts from OS, just that exchange rate can be nasty if you’re not on the ball.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#147 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, Ararat. Was blue with gold rims and a bigger exhaust, but I didn't notice the bonnet.

Did you check you PM's. :)

#148 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:08 PM

Yup, that'd be me! Sorry about the missed PM, only check them once in a blue moon... Have replied.

Understand that Bennie, used to monitor the AUD/JPY exchange rate like a hawk back in the day, try and get the best rates possible, but I've given up with that now. Can't be bothered saving a buck here and there now, cos that's usually all I ever saved with it. These days it's just save a little then pull the trigger on it, regardless of the exchange rate.

Cheers,
Ben

#149 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:49 PM

All good.

I'm a bit the same, I figure if I need it, I'd better order it.

#150 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

Yeah I haven’t dealt with yen exchange ect - only USD. And a small change in that exchange rate can add tens of dollars if not a hundred extra on a big order. So I make my list the watch the exchange intermittently and make my purchase when the dollar seems to be up and PayPal takes out their cut (by dropped the exchange rate about 2c) which adds to it.

Still happy, way less than stealership prices! I’ve recently purchased a pile of stuff for our Pajeros at a fraction of what local dealerships cost and without the inconvenience they give me when looking for parts (which they often don’t have in stock and I cagey quicker from OS than they can it seems).

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#151 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 02:56 PM

I'm amazed at how easy it was to crack the crank bolt! Simply stick a 4ft breaker bar on it and use the gearbox in 5th to lock it all up. Hey presto, front covers are off!

Belts, bearings and other bits under the front covers all look good, with the exception of the belt tensioner, it's covered in a thin film of oil, so I'm guessing thats stuffed.

#152 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:29 PM

The toothed/ribbed idler is the one to check out. If the bearings are rumbly you’d be best to change the idlers too.

That crank bolt should be tighter than that!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#153 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

Don't worry, I change all the idlers and tensioner out at the same time. Normally I'd change the water pump as well, but when I put the order through I couldn't remember what pump was on it, so I never ordered one. Hopefully it doesn't fork out.... It looked in good nic, despite having been on the NSW coast for a couple of years - the rest of the alloy like the block etc has gone that off-white silver colour from surface salt corrosion, but the pump is looking almost brand new still. It's only ever had coolant in it, so there shouldn't be any internal corrosion going on. 

Not sure on the bolt side of things. It's not like I just pushed lightly on the end of the bar, it still needed a good shove to move it. Nothing like a good force multiplier! It got done back up the same way. Will check the tightness again later this week, just to make sure, but I'm pretty certain it was proper tight.

Old girl got a bit of a birthday over the weekend - oil, coolant and timing belt/tensioners/idlers etc. Getting a little overdue - was at about 13,000km since the last service. 

Got a front and rear main, plus rocker cover gaskets/spark plugs to do when the motor comes out to go into the track car, couldn't be arsed pulling the motor out to do this service. 

Cheers,

Ben

#154 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:10 PM

Must be the season for it - I’m in the process of doing the same cam belt job on Ruby Scoo. But I didn’t get a bloody tensioner so I’m now putting all the old stuff back on for now. Not concerned as my EJ22 is none interference. I swapped out the oil pump from a 9mm to a 10mm unit and replaced the front oil seals.

Now to track down the old style tensioner...

I hope you’re having better luck with your cam belt kit swap than I am!

And good to hear about the crank bolt torque “specs”! Mine fought the handbrake when in 5th trying to crack the crank bolt!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#155 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 04:04 PM

I always undo crank bolts in 4th gear as its usually the strongest gear due to the torque flow not going through any of the cluster gears.

I have been known to use the starter to undo stubborn crank bolts too!

#156 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 09:48 PM

Interesting info Jase, makes sense though. My family mechanic said the same thing about the starter, said he's used that method many a time. Thankfully I didn't need to go that far.

My tensioner was rooted, got a pair of 400mm multigrips onto it and it would not compress the piston at all, whereas the old one I pulled off my 251 would slide nicely with just body weight on a bench. Ticking time bomb that one.

Hopefully you can find another one Bennie, or at least the aftermarket equivalent. I have to say, quad cams suck to do belts on. The 251 was easy, but hot damn, the 207 was downright painful. Drivers side bank held their position no worries, but the passenger side kept wanting to slide, especially the inlet cam. And because of the AVCS, it's not like you could just whip out the 10mm Allen key and pull it back into position. Took me about an hour of trying and failing before it finally wanted to play ball.

Hope everyone is doing alright!

Cheers,
Ben

#157 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:26 AM

best trick I found with troublesome twin cam belts was to use a bunch of small hand spring clamps to hold the belt on the cogs.

That way, you can thread the belt, tension it over the top run and clamp it in place. The belt then holds the gears that want to pop off their position and you can sort out the tensioner at leisure.

I've also used the starter trick in the past for the front crank bolt. It works well! 

#158 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:51 PM

I always undo crank bolts in 4th gear as its usually the strongest gear due to the torque flow not going through any of the cluster gears.

Whats a cluster gear? Id rather break 5th as its replaceable with the gearbox in the car (probably only good if you have a hoist or a pit really). If you break 4th its a complete gearbox tear down and youll need to get the 3rd and 4th gear sets as theyre in a cast together on the lower lay shaft:

lBVwKI.jpg

From left to right you have 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, reverse and 1st. Then the diff with the low range above the front diff.

Ben, Im yet to do a DOHC but its on the cards. Also I wouldve thought the tensioner that deflects under body weight would be dead and the other thats solid would be the one to use...

Duncann, good bit of advice there! Great idea!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#159 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:14 PM

Given it takes more power than people think to break a 5 speed gear outright youd be doing pretty well to actually shear a tooth off undoing the crank bolt

Most gears break from kebab shifting with wheel spin rather than outright power

tIeW8DE.png

#160 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:31 PM

exactly..  nut is what, 130Nm ?

What's a turbo EJ put out - 3 times that?  What about when you dump the clutch to 5th with all that rotating mass going?

Busting gears with your breaker bar is fantasy land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users