311 replies to this topic

#121 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

Back to the tyres..... I went around and checked pressure (cold) today and found that all my tyres were over the recommended psi. The label inside the drivers door jam suggests: Front: 33psi Rear: 32psi All mine were up around the 36-38 mark..... Any reason a car dealer would do this?? Intentional?? Was I right to reduce them to factory specs, or not?

#122 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

im interested in that too. after getting new shoes for my girl they put the psi up to 40?? recommended 32ish... havent had any problems so far

IM47Gcv.jpg

#123 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:16 AM

Back to the tyres.....
I went around and checked pressure (cold) today and found that all my tyres were over the recommended psi.
The label inside the drivers door jam suggests:
Front: 33psi
Rear: 32psi

All mine were up around the 36-38 mark.....
Any reason a car dealer would do this?? Intentional??
Was I right to reduce them to factory specs, or not?

Most car dealers/service centres will put the tyre pressures above what is recommended so that IF you don't check and the tyre pressures drop, you won't fall under the recommended pressures.

I prefer to keep my tyre pressures up around the same mark that your car dealer put them up to because it makes the car feel better. I deal with some truely aweful roads and having tyre pressures around the recommended mark, the car feels too lose and 'crashy' over pot holes. When the tyre pressures are up though, the car feels more firm and planted and I prefer that, personally.

Whatever you do - just keep them above recommended I guess.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#124 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

From looking at tyre manufacturers, they say over inflating will wear out the middle of the tyre faster..... As a rule of thumb, I've only ever inflated to around 32.... anyone got some cold hard facts on the matter?

#125 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

Most car dealers/service centres will put the tyre pressures above what is recommended so that IF you don't check and the tyre pressures drop, you won't fall under the recommended pressures.

I prefer to keep my tyre pressures up around the same mark that your car dealer put them up to because it makes the car feel better. I deal with some truely aweful roads and having tyre pressures around the recommended mark, the car feels too lose and 'crashy' over pot holes. When the tyre pressures are up though, the car feels more firm and planted and I prefer that, personally.

Cheers Shiv,
From what I've read (not experience), it's suggested to measure when the tyres are cold because the pressure increases when they are warm/hot....
I don't know by how much though....

#126 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

From looking at tyre manufacturers, they say over inflating will wear out the middle of the tyre faster.....
As a rule of thumb, I've only ever inflated to around 32.... anyone got some cold hard facts on the matter?

I don't know what the roads are like in SA but over here, the camber on the roads is such that the sides of the tyres tend to wear off first and then gradually into the middle. So by that logic, you should boost tyre pressures up so it wears evenly, but then thats just a waste.

Those recommended tyre pressures are a sort of blanket figure. They're always roughly the same. They don't account for the type of driving YOU do, hence its just a recommendation. Obviously driving around with 40+ PSI will be of detriment to tyre wear in the long run but you'd need to consistently have it boosted up to those levels.

The only times I drive around with over 40 PSI is for when I take my car out for a spirited cruise out of town or when I know I'm going to be carrying 4-5 people in my car.

#127 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

if tyre pressure is too high it will cause the middle to wear faster too low will wear outsides of tyres, as a general rule run them as high as possible without wearing the middle excessively- if tyre pressure is continually too low it will also heat up quicker which can be detrimental to tyres (blowouts). I have the same plaque in my B4 (33psi fr, 32r) I run fronts @ 38psi - anything under in the front and they start to feel "spongey" when cornering. I keep the rears @ 32 (cold). always take pressures when tyres are "cold" as there's approx 4psi diff between a "cold tyre" and a "hot" tyre. hope that helps some :drinks:

#128 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

HELP!!! :flag_of_truce: I'm doing the switch on my woodgrain dash/gear surround today and have come to a halt with the center dash surround. (I've PM'd Matt for some advice) I can separate every edge except the bottom right corner (where the ash tray support/slide/guide is). The 2nd hand replacement I want to fit does not have that metal support in it, so I'm unsure if it is the main reason for my problem... Anyone else (besides sti-Lib) done this before on a Gen3? Any advice? Schematics? on how to remove this thing without breaking something?? :dash2:

#129 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Finally, success.
The problem was the ash tray metal slide. Once I got a torch and got low enough to look up from below it I saw the two small screws that I originaly thought were studs, Stubby screwdriver to the rescue and it popped out! :)

So, the "Before" looked like this:
Posted Image

And the "After" looks like this:
Posted Image

I must admit, after seeing the contrast for the last few weeks, now it looks a little bland..
I'm hoping it grows on me though! :)

*Edit* BTW, the gearshift surround came with a leather boot and leather gear knob... So I may just keep it simply for that.....
Your thoughts on what looks better? (personal opinion I know).

#130 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

not bad! im one of the few here who dont mind the woodgrain stuff but what youve done looks good there! where did u get the new stuff from? yea there are a couple of screws in the ash tray that fools us all!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#131 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Got all the surrounds from Sunspares in QLD.
$100 for all three (w/ leather boot & knob). Not bad I reckon....
Considering I went to Subawreck here in SA the other day trying to get a replacement middle console lid and they wanted $65 for it..... Yes, just the lid!
Legalised thievery!!!

#132 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

not neccesarily. 32 is waaay to soft. manufacturers put that figure in there for COMFORT. your tyres will wear on the outside edges when underinflated. I ran 40psi hot all round on my 18s on the wagon and got PERFECT wear out of them. however this is all pointless unless your wheel alignment is up to scratch!

From looking at tyre manufacturers, they say over inflating will wear out the middle of the tyre faster.....
As a rule of thumb, I've only ever inflated to around 32.... anyone got some cold hard facts on the matter?

again, 32 is not enough. your tyres will wear quicker. it gives a comfier ride but you will get better fuel ecomony and response out of the car with higher pressures (not too high of course)

Finally, success.
The problem was the ash tray metal slide. Once I got a torch and got low enough to look up from below it I saw the two small screws that I originaly thought were studs, Stubby screwdriver to the rescue and it popped out! :)

So, the "Before" looked like this:
Posted Image

And the "After" looks like this:
Posted Image

I must admit, after seeing the contrast for the last few weeks, now it looks a little bland..
I'm hoping it grows on me though! :)

*Edit* BTW, the gearshift surround came with a leather boot and leather gear knob... So I may just keep it simply for that.....
Your thoughts on what looks better? (personal opinion I know).

boo you derated your RX! now it looks like a GX! these are one of the reasons you buy the rx for the woodgrain sets it out from the others... you'll get over the bland look and want the grain back.

MY07 GT spec B

#133 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

boo you derated your RX! now it looks like a GX! these are one of the reasons you buy the rx for the woodgrain sets it out from the others... you'll get over the bland look and want the grain back.

Good thing I've put it away in a safe place then.... just in case!
And, I didn't break anything while trying to get it off!!! :yahoo:
(I was quite happy about that)

#134 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

I prefer the wood grain but at least what you've done doesn't look ugly. But it does make the interior a bit bland now.

#135 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

Are these things for real?
MOD Chip

Pro's / Con's??

What's the conversion rate of HP to Kw?? Do they use HP numbers to entice you because it sounds better?
*Edit*
Unit Converter
28HP = 20.88Kw

20Kw gain for $50? Bang for buck?

#136 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

I personally like what you have done to the interior. I reckon the woodgrain in the gen3's is too over done and looks tacky. IN my gen2 it is a bit annoying at times, but I just ignore it as I have many, many other things that require my attention in my car first.

RE: that chip. I have no idea. There was another thing on the market that I remember a few years ago, I had a mate that had one in his gen3 RX and I have a funny feeling Alexxx may have had one too (in your NA 2.5L Alex?).

It was fairly expensive but did give you a real improvement, the site of the product is located here.

$990. Try to find one second hand.

#137 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

I personally like what you have done to the interior. I reckon the woodgrain in the gen3's is too over done and looks tacky. IN my gen2 it is a bit annoying at times, but I just ignore it as I have many, many other things that require my attention in my car first.

RE: that chip. I have no idea. There was another thing on the market that I remember a few years ago, I had a mate that had one in his gen3 RX and I have a funny feeling Alexxx may have had one too (in your NA 2.5L Alex?).

It was fairly expensive but did give you a real improvement, the site of the product is located here.

$990. Try to find one second hand.

Those chips on ebay are all BS.

The powerchip however are a good chip to have bar the cost. I did have one but it was for the gen3. I sold it for $250 or so and it gave around 15kw/20nm jump and was tuned for 98 OCT fuel.

MY07 GT spec B

#138 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Is a "Legacy" just a re-badged "Liberty" for another market???
And if so... would parts for a Legacy fit a same year Liberty???

This ad caught my eye but doesn't mention Liberty - however it does mention "Legacy 93-01".
Yes I know it looks dodgey :blush:

#139 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

This ad caught my eye but doesn't mention Liberty - however it does mention "Legacy 93-01".

I think Australia is the only place it the world its called Liberty and not Legacy :)

#140 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Its called a Legacy everywhere else, it was re-badged for the Oz market for legal reasons, i cant remember what they were but i remember reading about it somewhere in another forum..
Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users