#42 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Did an oil change this weekend just gone. Nulon Full Syn. 5W-30 as recommended by AM Auto. While I was at it, installed a remote mount filter kit and oil cooler. Got the kit from my brother, as he bought it for his skyline a couple of years back, but threw it in the too hard basket once he got it defected. Its just a generic multi-fit kit. Orange anodised mounts, looks like braided 1/2 inch hoses with crimped AN fittings, with a 13 row bar and plate cooler. The new mount that the filter screws into also has 2 smaller holes for the use of gauge senders, of which my oil temp and oil pressure senders have been screwed into. Will hopefully get a chance over the next few days to finish off the wiring for them, and put the dash back together. Once this is done, I'll post up some pics. Should have neatened up the install of the actual cooler by then too.

There were a few issues mounting it, as the kit only came with 2 ends having 90 degree elbows, so its looking pretty agricultural at present. Mounted in the middle of the space between the crash bar and the A/C condenser.
Same as my stock overflow bottle has been removed to make way for the hoses and the new filter location. Its been replaced with a 600mL pump water bottle, which doesn't look real flash, but it does the job. Bit of rubber tape and a breather hole in it, and it should do well. One of these days I'll buy a proper stainless overflow bottle to sit in front of the battery. At this stage though, I think cooler oil is more important than looks.

Cheers for all the positive comments and ideas people! Any other ideas, please speak out - I may have a pretty specific idea on what I want to do, but that doesn't mean I know every direct mod there is. If something sounds good, I may add it to the list.
The next mods will probably be a Fumoto sump drain, and also a Grimmspeed AOS. Trying to reduce the likely hood of killing another engine. Waterspray is also on the list. I'm aware of the group buy of the Grimmspeed AOS on a few other suby forums, but don't currently have the funds available before this finishes...

Oh well, keep on the lookout for pics, they are coming!

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#43 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hey Ben, nice work mate , really like what you have done with this - I don't have any suggestions for you and your B4, although you certainly have given me some much needed inspiration and some great ideas too. Keep it up and keep us updated !

#44 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention too - Finally got the rest of the exhaust finished off a few weeks ago. 3 inch, all the way through now (The previous exhaust had so many lumps and bumps in it, it could have been almost considered 1 1/2 inch!) My only problem now is its loud as hell. Missus blocks her ears when I go for a fang with her in the car (although she does have very sensitive ears). Needing another large rear muffler if anyone can help? I would have re-used the other one, but it was getting close to being fully rusted out.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#45 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

hey ben, where's the grimmspeed group buy??

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#46 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

I think it was on ozfoz and rexnet, I was looking at google for grimmspeed AOS and it dropped me onto a few different forums, and the one I looked at (sorry, cant remember which one it actually was) were talking about throwing the group buy out to several different forums. You'll need to be quick though, its due to expire pretty soon.

Oh, on a side note, I do apologise to all those who sent me PMs regarding some of the old TT bits I have - I've just been busy as hell between work, moving and fixing up some problems with the new house. I'll get onto you guys as soon as I can. On nights at present, so expect pics, details etc to come your way by the end of this weekend coming. Sorry again!

#47 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hey all, being my camera in the phone has decided to start working again, I think its time for another update.

First up - pics of the oil cooler and remote mount filter kit. Sorry for everything being dirty, the missus works down the end of a very slushy road when it rains, and it was raining for a few days before I took these photos.

What can be seen from ground level - as can be seen, the pipe work shouldn't snag on anything on the road.
Posted Image
The adaptor plate where the filter used to go.
Posted Image
Routing of pipes under the engine
Posted Image
From another angle
Posted Image
RHS of the cooler
Posted Image
LHS of the cooler
Posted Image
The somewhat agricultural mounting...
Posted Image
New mounting of filter - between battery and front right corner of RHS head
Posted Image
The new block the filter mounts to with guage senders
Posted Image
Running of pipework again
Posted Image

New oil temp guage mounting - I like this spot, I know its not in direct view, but how often do you need to look at your oil temperature?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, pics of exhaust. Finally quietened down the rather loud exhaust. Got Exhaust technology in Adelaide to make this up on the cheap, and gave me one of their new JUN B.L S type development mufflers. Expensive japanese brand, very good quality. The note it gives is nice, its quiet, and it flows well. 650 bucks worth of muffler, got for 350 bucks, including fitment.
Anyways - pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It looks like I've sold my old ported turbos too, so the Grimmspeed AOS and fumoto oil drain valve will be happening shortly. I'll post up pics once they've been installed.

Now, there has been a slight change of plans with the car too. After much deliberation with the missus, I will probably be buying a brand new car in the next few months, selling the red RX I have, and then this beastie will be converted to a dedicated track car. I'd love to keep it as a registered street car, but the mods are pretty much at a point where if I go too much further engine wise, I wont be able to legally register it without spending lots of dollars engineering it. Its getting harder and harder to have fun with a modified car on the public streets. Also, if I get defected, its going to be a nightmare to get it back on the road if I go much further.
Plus, mods can be tailored to suit strictly going faster, rather than the evil balancing act of street legal and faster.

Any opinions please let me know. I'm keen to hear the pros and cons here, as it hasnt happened yet!

Cheers,
Ben

#48 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

Nice overflow bottle!!

In all seriousness. I think you should keep it registered if you decide to turn this car into a track car. That way, for light days, you can just simply drive there and back.

I need to ask: The oil cooler. Has it got its own thermostat in its circuit? I mean, with it being there, whilst driving on the street, you'll be cooling it more than previously, thus on colder days, potentially making it run too cool... If it has a thermostat, it'll only open the cooling circuit when it runs to a certain temp: (ie bloody hot!)

Also...ditch the ihi turbo. Time for a Garrett ;)

#49 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Haha, its great isnt it? :P

Yea, as much as I say it will be converted, it will probably be left registered as long as I can. Cusco make some very nice looking bolt in cages, so I'll be looking at one of those down the track, only thing is SA laws prohibit cages in road registered cars, so I'll really be cutting it fine once that happens. Once it gets defected after that sort of thing, it will stay defected. At the moment, I live 500km from the nearest track, so it will be trailered anyway. Couple that with possible plans to head to the Pilbara, and its going to be trailered the whole time.

Yes, the cooler is lacking a thermostat at the moment. Its something I've been thinking about trying to slot in there somewhere, but haven't come up with any cheap methods yet. At the moment, I've just been driving it accordingly - a good 5 minutes before moving the car when its cold, etc. Temperature normally sits at approx 180 to 190 F (82 - 87 C), depending on if I'm giving it a hard time or not.
Also been thinking about a mid-sized front mount, so once that happens I'm going to have to rearrange things quite substantially in the front there. Might put the thermostat in and also stick the oil cooler where the top mount used to sit. Ideas are certainly being thrown around...

Haha, I did notice that Garrett are now doing twin scroll replacements... Although more capacity will be on the cards before new turbo... It just has to pass the approval of the minister for finance... :walts:

Cheers,
Ben

#50 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I was pondering myself about all sorts of weird and wonderful 2.5-2.8L EJ combinations for my 'sled, when my EJ20R started blowing bubbles in the overflow bong, and then, it dawned on me.

My car is probably not the best choice for the track, being a full weight wagon with twin sunroofs.

So.. my plan is currently to keep it a two litre... supporting mods... make it strong... have the occasional lap here and there.... and sell.

GC8 or BC5 something of the sorts will be eventually sorted as a dedicated track car... with road rego. Source towcar (4WD.. I wanna hit trails again) and trailer for serious shenanigans.

I would have thought that a BE5 would be a porky track car... But kudos for doing it. Something to consider perhaps if you bend this shell?

You want a cage? Madman! Me, I'd just want to keep it as close to street as possible, but I do see your safety concerns.

#51 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Yes, I have been looking into alsorts of combinations, but I think the old venerable 2.5 will be the go. Just some forged rods, pistons and race bearings. Nothing too serious while its still a road car (although its a while before I get the replacement daily, so...)

I see the concerns with the weight, I was looking at that too, but at the end of the day I've spent a lot of blood sweat and money on this old girl, so I want to keep her. That and I would never get close to the money I've spent if I sold, and then I'd just go and spend even more on putting essentially the same setup I have now into the new track car. So it doesn't make sense financially to change models. I know I won't be as fast, but I'm not worried about that so much. I'll still have a lot of fun.

Yea, nice choice! I think the GC8 would be the better overall track car - shorter wheelbase and overall smaller than the liberty/legacies, and lighter to boot. Only bad part is they are looked at by the cops a lot more, although thats only an issue if you road register it.

If I bent the shell I'd probably do something silly and build an open wheeler for all the gear, and sell off the parts that I don't need and aren't bent (although that would depend on how expensive Gen 3's are to purchase when it happens). But it depends how terminal the damage is really. I'll think more seriously about those options if it comes to it. Be a shame if I did break it that bad...

Definitely need a 4wd for the tow car - thankfully the missus has herself one with an appropriate tow rating to even be legal to tow the beast, so I'm sorted on that one.

Cage is a definite if I'm getting serious. The problem with going fast on a race track is that when you come off, you're usually going fast enough to do major damage, and while crumple zones are good, they only work up to certain speeds... So a cage is going to happen at some stage.

Anyways, ordered a fumoto oil drain valve today. Will make the coming oil changes so much easier. As much as I don't like being a poster boy, this tool looks so damn useful. Have a squiz. Fumoto

Am in the process of purchasing the grimmspeed AOS too, so that will happen in the next few weeks hopefully. Will post up pics when done.

Cheers,
Ben

#52 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hey all. Update time. Photos coming.

Bought an STi high pressure radiator cap. Everyone knows what they look like, yadda yadda. Makes the engine bay look that much more genuine, nothing much more. A bit of bling really.

Fumoto valve rocked up, and I must say, very well constructed. Takes some effort to open the valve, so theres no way (unless it gets smacked HARD!) that it will open while driving. Even then, a small cable tie will hold it closed. A very simple and effective tool.

Not much more work planned for her in the short term now, besides the AOS, which is currently on order. Next post will be the pics with the AOS installed, then I'll probably quieten down a little... maybe.

Cheers,
Ben

#53 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Did you get the fumoto valve with a nipple or just the drain hole? Seems handy to be able to drain straight into a bottle!

Posted Image

#54 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

I just got the one with a drain hole - I think the nipple would protrude too far down and get knocked by something if I wasn't watching. Plus, there aren't too many 6L bottles around the place. Pics are still coming, had a fair bit to do the last block off.

#55 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Cool, cheers, I went with the same, just waiting for them to get some more in stock!

Posted Image

#56 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Been a while since I have posted. Car has been running well, No dramas at all. Have been pretty well focused on the renovating of my house, so the car has taken a back step for the moment, although the new shed thats being concreted at the end of the month is big enough for a hoist. So watch this space. Things will happen once the house is sorted to the point I like.

#57 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Nice write up man and a lovely car.

#58 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Nice write up man and a lovely car.

Agreed and I love the STI sill plates and the Cusco rear strut brace and also the big Brembos and the list goes on and on....

#59 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Bought some plastidip. Going to paint the gold wheels black, with a coat of glossifier over the top. Once the new lounge room wall is finished I'll get onto this. Pics coming.

#60 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

Haha, been almost 4 months now and still havent got to the plastidip. My new JDM HID's rocked up from surface shipping last week. Bought a small butane fired soldering iron/burner and some small glue filled heat shrink for waterproof goodness on the wiring. Thinking about getting these bits installed, as well as fault finding my fog lights (which haven't worked since the conversion, I'm slack when it comes to things I dont use), probably in a few weeks once the house has had its internal valuation done. One of these days I'll put up a thread on the rebuild of the house, pretty happy with how thats turned out, and to show why the car has been neglected the past 2 years or so mods wise.

Anyways, I'll post up again soonish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users