←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

2000 Liberty Sedan STI conversion

Adam's Photo Adam 18 Apr 2012

Thats for the gearbox mate

vicelore's Photo vicelore 18 Apr 2012

SO thats not the cross member that needs to be switched ?.. Mis under stood what iv read then :L

Vice

Probally not doing my self any favours researching parts from pictures rather than looking at the cut when it arrives lol..

haha im gonna do the same thing :P

Posted Image

Will look something like one of these.

Its basically the part under the engine that you jack the car up on.

Posted Image

Was confusing as it was reading another thread ( where i stole the pic from ) with a 6 speed swap into a forrester and they where talking about swapping the other cross member..

Anyways learning is always fun!! And the best way to do it is to get in there and try it :)

Cheers

Im not sure about swapping the gearbox cross member, maybe you have to?!

I dunno, i bought my car done :P

Xon's Photo Xon 18 Apr 2012

Probably doing a 6 speed swap into a Foz. You'd use the 6 speed crossmember from the halfcut anyway.

Just got an email from BMI, hes informed me that its got an HKS aftermarket ecu and 3 HKS gauges on it..im assuming that may be a problem for the guys at AM motors.. Gonna contact them now and see if this is a problem..

Good news on the gauges tho :)

After looking at the HKS site it seems it just piggy backs onto the existing ECU ?

Ill have to wait untill it gets here i think as some other models look to be stand alone..

Matt's Photo Matt 18 Apr 2012

6 speed im pretty sure you need to use the 6 speed x-member

Honestly itd be better to get rid of the hks computer and just tune the stock ecu

You will need the sti rear hubs to strip the bearings out of, and send them with your gen3 hubs to a machine shop to get them machined to press the bearing in, Al will be able to tell you about this

There was also an issue with my NA front swaybar not fitting with the new subframe and headers, so i had to use a B4 front swaybar

I also put gc8 alloy control arms and gc8 sti endlinks on during the conversion ;)

Youll also need to modify the cruise control box if you want to keep it (trust me, keep it!)

And if you got a DCCD 6 speed box id recommend that ya get a DCCDpro controller or something to make the most of the box

he told me that it looks like its piggy backed onto the standard ECU so all good there :)

Any reason why you wouldnt use it Matt ? Iv herd there is only 2 places in Aus that can tune HKS ECU`s. is that why ?

I see HKS ECU`s can only be tuned by HKS dealers and there is only two. one in NSW and WA.. from what iv read..

Xon's Photo Xon 18 Apr 2012

A piggyback usually intercepts signals from certain sensors and then sort of tricks the ECU into behaving differently.
Since GD ECUs are tunable anyway, you might as well just get the ECU tuned from the getgo, instead of Posted Image'ing around with hardware only 2 people in Aus can support.

I see HKS ECU`s can only be tuned by HKS dealers and there is only two. one in NSW and WA.. from what iv read..

This yep

A piggyback usually intercepts signals from certain sensors and then sort of tricks the ECU into behaving differently.
Since GD ECUs are tunable anyway, you might as well just get the ECU tuned from the getgo, instead of Posted Image'ing around with hardware only 2 people in Aus can support.

But primarily this ;)

The GD sti ecu is a good thing, no need for piggybacks

dks51r's Photo dks51r 18 Apr 2012

Agreed with above, 01+ sti ecu's are tunable, that's all I used for mine!

Get your tuner to remove the speed cut and turn on the launch control and flat foot shifting when ya get it tuned :D

If you dont like your turbo switch on the anti lag for shits and giggles lol

Scott's Photo Scott 18 Apr 2012

Get your tuner to remove the speed cut and turn on the launch control and flat foot shifting when ya get it tuned :D

If you dont like your turbo switch on the anti lag for shits and giggles lol

have you got that setup on yours?

ive been wanting to get LC and FFS

Not anymore

Speed cut = gone

LC i had til i got pulled up about a launch off the lights one night lol

FFS i had for two days...its so hard to tell your brain to not lift off the accelerator when shifting haha

LC was the funnest of all, even though i barely used it, though ill turn it back on with the new turbo set up

**hit Michael up to set it up for ya ;)

Scott's Photo Scott 18 Apr 2012

haha mad

yeah i will for sure, completely forgot when i had my car up there :(