66 replies to this topic

#1 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi all,

I think my B4 was pinging today. It sounded as though there was a small ball bearing or something like that rattling around, but very faint, barely noticeable above wind and engine noise. It was only 13 degrees out today as well. Is this pinging?
The car is stock apart from a Hyperflow CAI.
If yes, what do I do about it? The next planned mod was going to be turboback + tune, but I can't afford that yet. Should I get a tune with no exhaust? A bigger TMIC (don't know if this helps)? Keep driving until I can afford a tune with my exhaust for max gains?
This is the first time I have noticed it but I have only had the car for ~2 months. Is it possible it was just a bad batch of fuel?

I don't want to kill my engine :(

#2 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Dont bother with a new TMIC. Biggest waste of $$$ for a stockish B4. I have an exhaust, cai and tune and mine didn't ping in 43 degree Perth heat with the stock TMIC.

I would strongly advise you to do the tune asap when you can afford it. Once you have the tune and software licence (if any) then a re-tune when you get an exhaust will only be a few hundred as you will already be set up with whatever tune you decide to go with.

You are correct though, your B4 shouldn't be pinging in 13degree ambient, although a bad batch of fuel can contribute to this. Was it when you were under load? Ie largish throttle opening with revs below 3000rpm?
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#3 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Do you have a boost gauge?

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#4 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Ok I will get it tuned ASAP! I just went and filled up with new petrol but it still kept doing it. It was noticeable at cruise but intensified when under load.

Do you have a boost gauge?

Nope

Does anyone have any suggestions for tuners in Canberra? Looking to stay away from ECUtek, I have heard good and bad things about ESP in Queenbeyan... Any other suggestions?

#5 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

If it's pinging at cruise, that is cause for serious concern.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#6 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

If it's pinging at cruise, that is cause for serious concern.

As in broken engine concern? Will be getting it tuned next week hopefully and I'm gonna minimise driving it until then.

#7 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

As in broken engine concern? Will be getting it tuned next week hopefully and I'm gonna minimise driving it until then.

Damage, which most likely will be inherent, has been done, I'm afraid.

#8 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Damage, which most likely will be inherent, has been done, I'm afraid.

What sort of damage? Big-end bearing?

Guess I should have bought the STi swapped B4....

#9 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Purely speculation, but I would think that for it to be pinging with no load then something catastrophic would have to be wrong.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#10 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hmm it's as if there is a little ball bearing or piece or metal rattling around, is this consistent with pinging?

#11 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hmm it's as if there is a little ball bearing or piece or metal rattling around, is this consistent with pinging?

go onto youtube and search subaru big end bearing failure or similar to that at compare what you hear to your car.

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Although there may be nothing physically wrong with your motor at the moment, when you get a retune, you may in fact put your car under greater stress when you start flogging it.

My advice: get the tune done. start putting pennies aside for new motor... V7 conversion that is...

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but you are running 98 right?

Posted Image

#14 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

go onto youtube and search subaru big end bearing failure or similar to that at compare what you hear to your car.

Doesn't sound remotely similar! Some good news.

Although there may be nothing physically wrong with your motor at the moment, when you get a retune, you may in fact put your car under greater stress when you start flogging it.

My advice: get the tune done. start putting pennies aside for new motor... V7 conversion that is...

Ok, will try and get it checked out by a mechanic as well.
V7 conversion will be hard on uni student budget... haha fml

Not trying to be a jerk, but you are running 98 right?

Yes lol

#15 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

This is going to be a stab in the dark as we don't have a sound to hear.

But, It could possibly be a rooted catalytic converter?

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#16 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Did you search for pinging to compare the sound as well?
If it was an issue of octane or bad fuel it would ping under load, but it should run ok under cruise conditions.
I would guess that either you are describing a nose that is not pinging, or something is about to explode.
As Alex suggested, getting a tune on an engine that isn't in good shape isn't going to end well. Certainly no car should ping that badly on a factory tune.

#17 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

2minute noodles and double shifts.

It's doable.

#18 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Did you search for pinging to compare the sound as well?
If it was an issue of octane or bad fuel it would ping under load, but it should run ok under cruise conditions.
I would guess that either you are describing a nose that is not pinging, or something is about to explode.
As Alex suggested, getting a tune on an engine that isn't in good shape isn't going to end well. Certainly no car should ping that badly on a factory tune.

It doesn't really sound like the ones I heard on youtube, but it does sounds a bit like 'marbles in a coffee can' description I read somewhere else... Maybe something rattling inside the engine? I'll try and get a video up tomorrow and a professional opinion as well.

2minute noodles and double shifts.

It's doable.

Haha! hopeful that I'll be getting a new job with around double the pay soon... that would help

Right now the stress of an electronics exam tomorrow and a potentially Posted Image'ed engine is making my brain ping :dash2:

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

What are you using for fuel at the moment? (Brand, I mean)

What is your oil consumption like? If the rings are getting a little bit worn, it'll start using a little bit of oil, which is no great big deal, but it'll drop the octane level somewhat, and cause it to ping (temperamental tune of AUDM B4)

#20 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

What are you using for fuel at the moment? (Brand, I mean)

What is your oil consumption like? If the rings are getting a little bit worn, it'll start using a little bit of oil, which is no great big deal, but it'll drop the octane level somewhat, and cause it to ping (temperamental tune of AUDM B4)

I usually use Caltex 98 (vortex or whatever its called) because it's convenient. There was a tiny oil leak when I bought the car but that has since been fixed and I haven't checked the level since that (~1500kms ago). I will have a look tomorrow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users