66 replies to this topic

#21 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

I haven't heard anything like that from mine and its on the stock tune too. I run BP Ultimate exclusively, but mostly because its local and what the previous owner ran in it. Weird it would ping on such a cool day. Hopefully it is nothing.

#22 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hahahahahaha well this is embarrassing...

:walts:

I had a closer look at it today, noticed it happening off-throttle as well which does not seem right, it turned out my CAI was 'pinging' against the hole it goes through :P
But I now know what to look for in case it does start, and I'll definitely get it tuned before summer hits.

Thanks anyway everyone :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

#23 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I was going to suggest heat shields and things :P

Start simple :)

Posted Image

#24 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Not embarrassing at all mate. You've fixed the problem (for free) and you've learnt a bit along the way.

That's a big win in my book!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#25 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yeah after having heard so much about the shitty factory tune, as soon as something sounded wrong I guess I just jumped straight to that conclusion.

#26 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hahahahahaha well this is embarrassing...

:walts:

I had a closer look at it today, noticed it happening off-throttle as well which does not seem right, it turned out my CAI was 'pinging' against the hole it goes through :P
But I now know what to look for in case it does start, and I'll definitely get it tuned before summer hits.

Thanks anyway everyone :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Everyone's had one of those moments! I spent half a day thinking my CV was about to explode. When I got around to checking, turned out I forgot to tighten the wheel nuts.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#27 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'd chalk that up as a win.

Happy days.

#28 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

CAI on untuned car make it run worse then the stock airbox, i'd revert until tuned

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

#29 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'd chalk that up as a win.

Happy days.

Agreed!

RE the CAI, I will get it tuned asap anyway, but I was not aware of this. Cheers!

#30 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

As Alex suggested, getting a tune on an engine that isn't in good shape isn't going to end well. Certainly no car should ping that badly on a factory tune.

Except the b4 aus std tune... Terrible amounts of timing in under load and high revs!

Where abouts are you located? ecutek is crap....

#31 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Except the b4 aus std tune... Terrible amounts of timing in under load and high revs!

Where abouts are you located? ecutek is crap....

I'm in Canberra.

#32 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm in Canberra.

Dont know of anyone who can do it around there, Im North of sydney though if you wanted to arrange something sometime

#33 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ultimate tunes are the local agent for Ecutek,

ESP does open source ECU reflash, but not sure about the B4.

Autotech in hume are great, but i think they like to go aftermarket computers.

I have had cars tuned by all 3, and you cant go wrong with either.

MY02 Liberty B4

#34 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Also we had a customer buy a B4 with 70,000s on it. With a Ecutek tune already. He serviced it every 5000kms religiously with full synthetic oil. It ended up developing a bigend knock at 170,000kms which we put a EJ207 short motor in. Its not got 240,000kms on it with same tune and it goes great!!

My sisters friend bought another one with ecutek tune done, it developed a bigend knock at 180,000km.

And my mums B4 in 05 pinged its ass off and did a big end with 120,000kms (full standard) then went forged 2ltr, which that engine now is in a track bugeye wrx

Finally My old B4 did a big end at 60,000kms when dan owned it in 2004. Then went 2.2ltr. Then 5 engines in 2 years later i bought it and rebuilt the EJ25 in it myself, which i put 40,000kms on with 300kws and its still going strong with the new owner;)

Prob useless info to you in your situation but B4s just love to grenade themself
MY02 Liberty B4

#35 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yeah whenever mine idles a bit iffy I start wondering how much it has left in it, always on the listen for big end, pinging etc (paranoia lol), at near 170k now. Can be a bit noisy on cold starts, is much better on 10w40, it has always run smooth once warm. To be honest I cbf spending money on aids, other than keeping it running as it is.

The money a tune costs, is good chunk of a conversion! People hate on the aids quite a lot on here, I am just enjoying what it offers and would rather it die and move it on, or die and drop in an EJ207! lol. But the way I treat mine, grandpa driving with some boost every second weekend. It will probably live longer than I intend to own it.

That said - if a B4 is pinging, get the mofo tuned :P they are nice cars and can be had for a bargain these days.

#36 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Prob useless info to you in your situation but B4s just love to grenade themself

Yea ecutek tunes are CRAP!!!
THe b4's grenade themselves as the std tune has up to 36 degrees of timing under full boost with both turbos.... Its one of the worst timing maps about and i have no idea why subaru would screw it up so bad and not fix it!
Lower compression engine would help (i.e. ej207, and you get forgies too) But a *good* tune will stop the pinging completely

Yeah whenever mine idles a bit iffy I start wondering how much it has left in it, always on the listen for big end, pinging etc (paranoia lol), at near 170k now. Can be a bit noisy on cold starts, is much better on 10w40, it has always run smooth once warm. To be honest I cbf spending money on aids, other than keeping it running as it is.

The money a tune costs, is good chunk of a conversion! People hate on the aids quite a lot on here, I am just enjoying what it offers and would rather it die and move it on, or die and drop in an EJ207! lol. But the way I treat mine, grandpa driving with some boost every second weekend. It will probably live longer than I intend to own it.

That said - if a B4 is pinging, get the mofo tuned :P they are nice cars and can be had for a bargain these days.

THe money a tune costs? i do B4's for $700. I would like to see you do a conversion for not much more than that. Not to mention the crazy loss of your low down torque!

End of the story. get the B4 tuned! and dont get it ecutek'd cause they are a waste of money!

#37 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

The money a tune costs? i do B4's for $700. I would like to see you do a conversion for not much more than that. Not to mention the crazy loss of your low down torque!

You do them cheap then! But I would want to get the exhaust done at the same time so it adds up very quickly. If I ever visit my grandma on the central coast in it for a while I might try and stop in - if I have the car still. And yes, I love the low end torque, the system is crazy but I can see what Subaru did there.

But as I said, I am pretty happy with how it runs, had it over a year now with no tune issues.

#38 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

You guy's obviously didn't receive the memo.
Back in '02 when i bought mine new I raised my concern about the pinging with the Subaru service techs at Salisbury(long since closed) and they told me that there were 2 types of pinging.
First was the good pinging, and second was the bad pinging.
Mine had the good pinging. I was so relieved. WTF :dash2:
After a minor altercation with a fixed object I replaced B4 engine with EJ257 single turbo. Incredible as it may seem, the ping left me from that moment on.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#39 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

You do them cheap then! But I would want to get the exhaust done at the same time so it adds up very quickly. If I ever visit my grandma on the central coast in it for a while I might try and stop in - if I have the car still. And yes, I love the low end torque, the system is crazy but I can see what Subaru did there.

But as I said, I am pretty happy with how it runs, had it over a year now with no tune issues.

Yea for sure :) Im in qld every so often so could even arrange something one time if you are interested.

You guy's obviously didn't receive the memo.
Back in '02 when i bought mine new I raised my concern about the pinging with the Subaru service techs at Salisbury(long since closed) and they told me that there were 2 types of pinging.
First was the good pinging, and second was the bad pinging.
Mine had the good pinging. I was so relieved. WTF :dash2:
After a minor altercation with a fixed object I replaced B4 engine with EJ257 single turbo. Incredible as it may seem, the ping left me from that moment on.

What the F... "Good pinging"??? Yea i dont think so... Maybe "acceptable pinging" lol These cars should not ping at all. Mine no longer does.

#40 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

What the F... "Good pinging"??? Yea i dont think so... Maybe "acceptable pinging" lol These cars should not ping at all. Mine no longer does.

Oh yes..................good pinging. I sh1t you not. Those were the service managers exact words. My car never went back to them.
Your right, they shouldn't ping at all. It's great that you're on here educating some of the lads.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users