• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Is one of these worthwhile for my B4, and offer anything I would want over a regular dyno tune? Would I run into issues with using 98ron since these come out of japan?

Basically, do I want one?

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'd have thought going the dyno tune would be the way to go but for the right price it might be worth a look I guess. The chipped ecu's generally remove jdm speed cut, raise boost a little, raise the rpm limit and have some "lightly" remapped timing. Torque and power increase would vary with supporting mods.

I had one of the Eifel/Prova chipped ecu's in my legacy and it was decent (I really only got to get rid of the speed cut though)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Most of these ECUs are tuned for 100RON fuel.

As a sufferer of OCD of all things mechanical, i'd consider fitting a decent wideband oxygen sensor and gauge to monitor things. Should be OK with a good supply of 98RON, but like anything else, it carries its own inherent risk of things going bang. At least you can monitor things with the wideband.

Aftermarket ECU would be the best thing to do here, but no one will put in an aftermarket ECU (and tune it) into a TT.

Have a crack I say.

Speaking of which, you did know that the B4 (BE5) AUDM is one of the first Subarus with a reprogrammable ECU?

#4 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Not many people are keen to tune a B4 anyway, and if they do, they charge so much it ain't funny.

I've also heard there are 9+ different ECUs that came out for the B4, and most tuners only can tune about 3-4 of them... not sure what all that means...

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#5 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Spend the extra time and effort to get a tuner who can custom tune your TT. It is just a world of difference as compared to a stock B4 and a pleasure to drive.

If you love the car, spend the money. Just be aware that as far as getting the money back when you sell the car - forget about it, it's not going to happen.

#6 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Haha I have no problem spending the money, currently saving for new top mount + tune to go with it. I just wanted to know if this was going to change anything. 

Speaking of which, you did know that the B4 (BE5) AUDM is one of the first Subarus with a reprogrammable ECU?

Shame no-one wants to tune it haha

Thanks gents!

#7 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Haha I have no problem spending the money, currently saving for new top mount + tune to go with it. I just wanted to know if this was going to change anything. 

Shame no-one wants to tune it haha

Thanks gents

Umm... actually... Do some more research.

You could tune it yourself, with a tactrix cable, laptop, and a little know how.

Pulse do tunes, as do MRT. There are several other places that will tune a factory ECU.

You'd be surprised.

#8 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

I have done plenty of research, but I don't want to tune it myself. I'm not going to take my car to MRT, but pulse was on my shortlist.

I chose my words poorly, I don't want to take it anywhere that will tune a factory ECU, I want somewhere that knows the twins. Of the two biggest tuners around canberra, one uses ecutek (no thanks) and the other has a reputation for big numbers but lots of blown engines as well. 

I would take it to MSR if he tuned B4s, but so far I'm considering pulse, tunehouse, or maybe even autotech if they will tune a B4 (canberra one, not sydney).

#9 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have done plenty of research, but I don't want to tune it myself. I'm not going to take my car to MRT, but pulse was on my shortlist.

I chose my words poorly, I don't want to take it anywhere that will tune a factory ECU, I want somewhere that knows the twins. Of the two biggest tuners around canberra, one uses ecutek (no thanks) and the other has a reputation for big numbers but lots of blown engines as well. 

I would take it to MSR if he tuned B4s, but so far I'm considering pulse, tunehouse, or maybe even autotech if they will tune a B4 (canberra one, not sydney).

Those were the choices I was looking at too man. All cost a lot, but sounds like it would be worth it.

I agree, I wouldn't do a road tune myself either, since it is better to do a Dyno tune and it is safer...

I have emailed MSR a few times about tuning the B4, and he told me he doesn't do it, but if I bring it up there sometime he might take a look at it and see if he can hook into the ECU, and if he can, he will gve it a whirl, which does sound good, but I just have to find a time and work out with him if he still wants to do it... if he could, would be epic.. :)

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aids

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users