←  Naturally Aspirated

Suby Club

»

H6 engine

Blaeven's Photo Blaeven 27 Nov 2008

its not i dont wanna go, just other things might be happening

righto man... well let me know if you get a chance to go out to Cardiff... i'll PM u my mobile number

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 27 Nov 2008

no worries i can deffinatly go to cardiff and get them tomorrow i just cant promise they'l be on the saturday cruise

Soop's Photo Soop 27 Nov 2008

What the f*ck?
13hrs??

Mate, i did 1400km/h in 15hrs...

You can go from Syd to Brissy in a day no worries.

That or get in touch with Mick from Techworkz. He's in the ACT.
Unless thats to far as well...

suffice to say that the loan i took out is $12,500 and i think i might need more...

i've just looked up the trip from my house to AM auto...

1,053 km – about 13 hours 54 mins

*cries*

anywhere in NSW do decent engine conversions??? lol

also, it seems that the AM site is down... and they aren't returning my emails...

i'm gonna call them later today...

i'm just waiting on a callback from the bank and i need to call cardiff automotive about some coilovers...

Jeff's Photo Jeff 27 Nov 2008

i can take them on the cruise

B4TT's Photo B4TT 27 Nov 2008

Should be able to get from Sydney to Brisbane in about 11 hours probably 12 if its a bit of a bad run? I have done the run in one day and It wasn't too bad.

What the f*ck?
13hrs??

Mate, i did 1400km/h in 15hrs...

You can go from Syd to Brissy in a day no worries.

That or get in touch with Mick from Techworkz. He's in the ACT.
Unless thats to far as well...

that's time taken doing the speed limit poop...

and i was joking about finding somewhere different... AM come highly recommended... so... yeh

i can take them on the cruise

that would be a big help... thanks

OK!!

UPDATE:

Quote:

EZ30R engine & wiring harness $2100 (approximate cost will need to check on price at time of purchase)
ECU $2500
GTB Manual transmission & flywheel $1850
Clutch to suit turbo gearbox $660
Labour to fit gearbox $150
Labour for everything else $2400
Fuel pump Walbro $175
Alloy Radiator $320
Extractors custom fabricated $800
2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust with stainless muffler $550
Catalytic convertor $250
Oils, filters, supplies $250

and

Tuning (AM do not do tuning and it will need to be towed to a tuner, price depends on tuner) I'm budgeting between $800-$1500

all together:

$12,805 - $13,505

looks like i'll need more monies than the $12,500 loan that i got... but it's all good, cos i'm working a fair bit over christmas...

I called Miles, had a chat with him, booked it in for 2nd of February and am going to put in a deposit later today...

the whole process should take about 2 weeks... and i'll hopefully be staying at my aunties house in Burleigh Waters...

the only thing that sucks about that is that it's gonna take 3 hours to get back and forth between my aunties place and AM...

meaning i probably won't be seeing much of the process taking place...

unless someone who lives closer is happy to put me (and possibly a mate of mine) up for 2 weeks...

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 27 Nov 2008

PHWOAR!!!! Now that's big money! Looks like it'sll be a good machine though.

PHWOAR!!!! Now that's big money! Looks like it'sll be a good machine though.

i'm hopeful of 200kw with intake, exhaust, and ECU/dyno tune

i'm unsure if that's reasonable or not...

200kw@fly wheel is possible. Although technically anything over that is "illegal" That said so is the conversion in the first place so meh... P.S I did the speed limit too...

Hey dude, check with the RTA if you can drive this car on your P's... I know its not a Turbo or a V8 but its an engine that wasn't sold as an option in the Gen2 in Australia which for starters means you'll need to get an engineers certificate for the car to be registered. I do remember reading that performance modifications are a no no for P platers in NSW and I think this may count as one of those. Just tripple check that before you lay down the monies...... $13,000 is a farking lot of money man, not trying to say don't do it or anything like that but fark.... lots of money for something that would only be marginally quicker then a completely stock B4 (If it is at all). Will be great to drive however, driveability of the 6 is better then the Turbo 4 only for the sake of easy driving and no lag.

Dylan's Photo Dylan 27 Nov 2008

Josh man, you can register a turbo vehicle on your P's even if you are power restricted - there will be no problems there. The engine is not turbocharged or supercharged so there is no problem there, and there are no performance modifications done to the car itself. The engine comes from a newer, and P plater legal car so there will be no problems there. A police officer may issue a fine for it, but even if that occurs the fine will definitely be disputable in court and I would be VERY suprised if it would be classified as 'prohibited'. Good work Tristan man, and good luck!

AH good to know that it would be P Plate Friendly, but when I was last at dads workshop I was reading through the RTA regulations and stuff about passing cars for rego and different things that need an engineers certificate and one of the things that was stated was that if a vehicle had an engine fitted that was not available in that model of car (being a Gen2) then an engineers certificate would be required before it could be registered. But all in all it should be a great end result, and I doubt Tristan will ever look back on the way the 6's drive (I am a little obsessed with them at the moment LOL)

will AM be able to provide me with an engineering certificate?? if not, where do i get one, how hard is it to procure, and what sorta moolah do i have to fork out.. deposit has been payed... poop... why is it illegal to go over 200kw?

Because thats what the asshat RTA stipulates, Since when do they need a good reason to make legislation?

Perhaps engineering was something you should have researched PRIOR to taking out a loan and putting down a deposit.
If you had, you would know that you cannot get it engineered in QLD.
I've have a sneaking suspicion there is an accreditied auto engineer in Newcastle somewhere.

Or you could just go ask FLAWSS....

will AM be able to provide me with an engineering certificate??

if not, where do i get one, how hard is it to procure, and what sorta moolah do i have to fork out..

deposit has been payed...

poop... why is it illegal to go over 200kw?

JRod's Photo JRod 27 Nov 2008

Al's build wasnt a H6TT.
That was for Az on RSLC, which still isn't finnish. I dare you to try and find out how much it has cost too.

*sighs*

Get it right Paul. Its a single turbo as there isn't enough room in there for twin. And the fact that twins are teh **** is another reason why its a single. As for cost, I've spoken to Aaron about his Gen 2. He sold his house to build that motor. Nuff sed.

Tristan, go with what ever floats your boat. That thing will be a torque monster for what it is. It'll be enough for you. Only weak points in your list that you've put up will be the gearbox depending on how you drive it (like taking it to the circuit or strip). I can't remember if you mentioned the braking components you'd be using as the last 4 pages have been nothing but utter shit, and quite frankly, I feel a little dumber for reading it all. I apologise if you have already got decent brakes like the red 4pots front and rear 2 pots on the back. You can never have enough braking power.

Apart from that, go for it mate. I doubt you'll look back on the experience.....

Because thats what the asshat RTA stipulates, Since when do they need a good reason to make legislation?

Perhaps engineering was something you should have researched PRIOR to taking out a loan and putting down a deposit.
If you had, you would know that you cannot get it engineered in QLD.
I've have a sneaking suspicion there is an accreditied auto engineer in Newcastle somewhere.

Or you could just go ask FLAWSS....

i know i know...

there's probably heaps of other things i should have looked into before doing this...

i'm an idiot... blah blah blah...

i haven't contacted my insurance company yet either...

that's probably a good idea too...

Hahaha, fair enough. I was just giving you a wee poke. Jarrod. I was saying Al's wasn't the H6TT previously quoted. But yeah, I should have noted that Az's wasn't TT :P Is that mystical beast running yet?

Tristan, go with what ever floats your boat. That thing will be a torque monster for what it is. It'll be enough for you. Only weak points in your list that you've put up will be the gearbox depending on how you drive it (like taking it to the circuit or strip). I can't remember if you mentioned the braking components you'd be using as the last 4 pages have been nothing but utter shit, and quite frankly, I feel a little dumber for reading it all. I apologise if you have already got decent brakes like the red 4pots front and rear 2 pots on the back. You can never have enough braking power.

Apart from that, go for it mate. I doubt you'll look back on the experience.....

you think the GTB gearbox is a weak gearbox?? it's what Miles recommends (rather than going with an older sti 4.11 box)...

and i do plan on tracking and dragging the car... though i don't think it will be so often that i'll need a 6 speed or a dogbox...

though they are future options (in case i start doing 6k clutch dumps, or i get moar power out of it)

the brakes i'm running are RS 2 pots... they're bigger than the GX ones and still stop harder than my tyres can handle, but needless to say that i will be on the prowl for 4 pots once my bank account resurfaces after this...

A brake upgrade might be warranted mate. If not for the extra power, but the added weight of the EZ30. This also should be taken into account when you do the suspension.

JRod's Photo JRod 27 Nov 2008

Is that mystical beast running yet?

No. Still sitting at the back of Robins shop.

you think the GTB gearbox is a weak gearbox?? it's what Miles recommends (rather than going with an older sti 4.11 box)...

and i do plan on tracking and dragging the car... though i don't think it will be so often that i'll need a 6 speed or a dogbox...

though they are future options (in case i start doing 6k clutch dumps, or i get moar power out of it)

the brakes i'm running are RS 2 pots... they're bigger than the GX ones and still stop harder than my tyres can handle, but needless to say that i will be on the prowl for 4 pots once my bank account resurfaces after this...

GTB gearbox is a 4.44. Pretty much the same as the V3 STi. It just depends on how abusive your going to be with it thats all. As for the 6 speeds, they're breakable. There will come a time when mine shits itself. But what can you do. Thats life. As for your 2 pot RS brakes (insert SLAP here) you really do need to upgrade the brakes accordingly mate; for yours and everyone elses sake. Keep an eye out on Rexnet, OzLib, RSLC, ebay and in general, all your importing wrecker yards. If you do something like this, your better off doing it properly in the beginning. What suspension will you be running as well mate???

Another thing you'll need to think about, is where do you want to go with this. Daily driver, race car, etc. Work this out as this will determine what your most important modifications are going to be.

Once again, congrats on taking this on. Its alot of money, and I've spent shitloads. However, if I was offered the same opportunity to do it again, I would. It might not be the smartest thing to do, but the amount of fun it should give you will be worth it. Who knows, I might even have some Gen 2 Liberty competition.......... ;)