710 replies to this topic

#81 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

If your dead set keen on doing it, and doing it properly. Maybe... Maybe look at spending a few grand more? Do he brakes and suspension all at the same time. Sway bars, struts the lot. Jarrod, whats the go with it? Az run out of kesh?
TSM

#82 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

If your dead set keen on doing it, and doing it properly. Maybe... Maybe look at spending a few grand more?
Do he brakes and suspension all at the same time.
Sway bars, struts the lot.

Jarrod, whats the go with it?
Az run out of kesh?

Definately change the shocks. You can pick up a decent set of Teins for 1500. Just that in itself will stop the car bottoming out as you launch it. Plus you don't want it feeling like Noah's Ark as you drive through corners as you'll miss out on the full extent of the low down torque.

As for Aarons car, last time I spoke to him, he was still mucking around with getting it tuned properly. However, I haven't heard any big whispers that the car is up and running, so at the present time, I'm still assuming its not running.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#83 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

I was under the impression there was going to be balloons and streemers on RSLC if and when it does run. Tristan, get another 7k and do it properly :)
TSM

#84 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

As for your 2 pot RS brakes (insert SLAP here) you really do need to upgrade the brakes accordingly mate; for yours and everyone elses sake. Keep an eye out on Rexnet, OzLib, RSLC, ebay and in general, all your importing wrecker yards. If you do something like this, your better off doing it properly in the beginning. What suspension will you be running as well mate???

Another thing you'll need to think about, is where do you want to go with this. Daily driver, race car, etc. Work this out as this will determine what your most important modifications are going to be.

Once again, congrats on taking this on. Its alot of money, and I've spent shitloads. However, if I was offered the same opportunity to do it again, I would. It might not be the smartest thing to do, but the amount of fun it should give you will be worth it. Who knows, I might even have some Gen 2 Liberty competition.......... ;)

i know i need a brake upgrade, and i'm definitely going to be looking for some 4 pots (mean i need new wheels too) or some b4 (or forester XT??? would they fit under the b4 bbs wheels?) brakes...

suspension wise, i will be looking at getting coilovers... there is a nearby (ish) wreckers that will sell me a set of 2nd hand tien coilovers with a 3 month warranty on them... looking at about $800 there...

i think for the time being though, this will be a hybrid car... mostly street with occasional track/drag time...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#85 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Even still bud. Do it once, Do it right. I mean, you've seen what happens when you try to cut corners...
TSM

#86 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Even still bud.
Do it once, Do it right.

I mean, you've seen what happens when you try to cut corners...

yes i have... but is there really any need to fork out for new tiens if i can get used ones with a warranty??

2mmwi1w.jpg

#87 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

The thing with new ones is, you can get the right spring rates to suit.
Also, definatly do front and rear sway bars and bushes all 'round.

I'd also maybe suggest going to Brembo brakes now. Saves arseing about later. I mean, if you borrowing money now. Do it, Do it once, Do it properly and enjoy it.
Otherwise you'll be for ever chassing your own arse.

yes i have... but is there really any need to fork out for new tiens if i can get used ones with a warranty??

TSM

#88 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

The thing with new ones is, you can get the right spring rates to suit.
Also, definatly do front and rear sway bars and bushes all 'round.

I'd also maybe suggest going to Brembo brakes now. Saves arseing about later. I mean, if you borrowing money now. Do it, Do it once, Do it properly and enjoy it.
Otherwise you'll be for ever chassing your own arse.

isn't 'forever chassing ones own arse' part of being in the modified car scene?? lol

the bank already gave me the monies... i dunno how happy they'd be with me going and asking for another 5k

2mmwi1w.jpg

#89 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

they'd love you for it mate. Because they're making money from you. Seriously. Honestly, I don't reckon this whole conversion is the wisest choice, But if you wanna do it. Do it fuggin properly. What you doing is like buying a wedding ring, but not getting married.
TSM

#90 JRod

JRod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Soop, just out of interest, what ever happened to your car you were building up???? Is it still happening or what???? Tristan - I'm only giving some advice mate. I realise that it all costs money and I can see that you've taken in my advice so well done for that. Just because the coilovers are second hand doesn't mean they're not as good as new. My Cuscos were second hand and I couldn't be happier with them. Everything is able to be adjusted separately so I'm glad I got the ones I did. Like I said, just keep an ear to the ground for the brakes. If some come up and you do have the money for them, make sure you buy them instead of wasting it on piss hahahahahaha.

Posted Image

#91 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Jarrod, I'll PM you mate. Blaeven, Jarrod has a good point, you could always change the springs on the coil overs later. Still, I can't stress the sways enough. $800 at most will do the sways and links.
TSM

#92 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

apparently you can run about 12psi through the standard internals...

they're a pretty stong motor from what i've been reading...

either way... i'm not going to be cracking the block open any time soon...

i now have monies... time to call AM

LOL famous last words. its ok 12psi its ok......

MY07 GT spec B

#93 JRod

JRod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

LOL famous last words. its ok 12psi its ok......

"She'll be right" :D

Posted Image

#94 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

"She'll be right" :D

Isn't that usually closely followed by "...watch this!"

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#95 JRod

JRod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

Isn't that usually closely followed by "...watch this!"

Closely followed by "F**k, shit, bugger etc etc"

Posted Image

#96 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

Jarrod, I'll PM you mate.

Blaeven, Jarrod has a good point, you could always change the springs on the coil overs later.
Still, I can't stress the sways enough. $800 at most will do the sways and links.

i'm planning on budgeting for sways and links before i do the conversion... but at the end of the day, it all depends how much money i have...

most of my income can go into savings currently, so that's what it will be doing until after the conversion, whatever i have left after that will go into suspension and brakes... (and if i can't afford it straight away, i will continue saving until i can)

the only thing i'm really dead set on getting sorted out before the conversion is the shocks... as the rears are really quite F**ked...

cheers for your input everyone... i've been trying to take it all in... negative or otherwise...

i should be hearing from miles tomorrow about a motor... and scuba-roo mentioned that he might be able to head out to cardiff for me... so i'll see how i go with that...

i'll keep everyone posted...

going to bed now... beer makes me sleepy... lol

2mmwi1w.jpg

#97 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

This is progressing nicely Tristan. It might be a good idea to talk with the RTA, or NSW Police on their position about your car. Engineering certificates are not 100% required as far as I know, however you may need to get one in the future if questioned / defected by the Police. I don't have an engineers certificate for mine, nor did I need one after re-registering post-conversion. My car had to run through a FULL blue slip (as registration had expired), which yours will have to go through a part blue slip (for engine number change). Once that's done, it's off to the RTA to pay them some money. Be careful with it, and take your time reviewing all of your options - talking with someone ie. Police or RTA may be a good idea first. If you like, PM / email / call me and I can help to connect you with someone who may know things from a more 'official' standpoint. Jarrod - kudos on the input mate, your conversion and car is fantastic and I am a big fan - thank you for providing some constructive input to this thread, amongst all the other dribble.

#98 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

So Tristan........ let me know about those shocks...... if you need me to take them 2morrow etc. Is Scuba still picking them up for you. I could if he can't, wouldn't be able to pay for them though as buying a house is bloody expensive.

Just Married

#99 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

This is progressing nicely Tristan.

It might be a good idea to talk with the RTA, or NSW Police on their position about your car.

Engineering certificates are not 100% required as far as I know, however you may need to get one in the future if questioned / defected by the Police. I don't have an engineers certificate for mine, nor did I need one after re-registering post-conversion. My car had to run through a FULL blue slip (as registration had expired), which yours will have to go through a part blue slip (for engine number change). Once that's done, it's off to the RTA to pay them some money.

Be careful with it, and take your time reviewing all of your options - talking with someone ie. Police or RTA may be a good idea first. If you like, PM / email / call me and I can help to connect you with someone who may know things from a more 'official' standpoint.

Jarrod - kudos on the input mate, your conversion and car is fantastic and I am a big fan - thank you for providing some constructive input to this thread, amongst all the other dribble.

i'll give you a call later today...

how much monies are the RTA gonna steal from me now...?

So Tristan........ let me know about those shocks...... if you need me to take them 2morrow etc.

Is Scuba still picking them up for you. I could if he can't, wouldn't be able to pay for them though as buying a house is bloody expensive.

if you're happy to head out there i can pay for them using my credit card over the phone...

i think...

i'll give the guy a call later today to see if he still has some... when would you be able to head out?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#100 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

I'm off today... need to detail the car but it's raining at the moment. was going to have a play with the ecu aswell then take it for a test drive. so really i can head out there any time

Just Married

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users