• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

how do you know they do that? 

My AUDM lights stayed perfect for 10 years. Yet my JDM lights need a polish every few months..

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#62 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

oh right. yeah true that. well I'm swapping them anyway and ill see how they go. 

#63 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think I may have discovered something which could be contributing to the inconsistent beam pattern. On the actual reflector part inside, there is a patch which is sort of "rough" looking or "matte". It's not completely dull - still a bit shiny but matte and grainy looking compared to the rest. I'm thinking there's been some form of heat damage involved, like maybe they've been left out in the sun on 30-40+ degree days.. would explain the little micro cracks on the inside of the lense too. A better way to describe these micro cracks would be that they look like when you melt thick, transparent plastic and bend it. It sort of "splits" and these tiny "cracks" appear where you've bent it... if that makes any sense. I'll try and get some pics in when I can.

I'm considering informing the ebay seller of the issue but wouldn't mind getting some other opinions here before I complain. Thankfully I haven't left feedback yet so I've still got some leverage if he wants to be a d**k about it :)

#64 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

you have any pictures?

this is my current HID's

when i picked them up:
CsoBfwMl.jpg

since then it has gotten SO MUCH WORSE its actually embarrassing. i have someone swapping the lens' over for me for my AUDM lens' which are minty good. 

now:
i80wggil.jpg

MAqcJlMl.jpg

#65 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Mine look like that. I bought headlight restorer and stuff. I hope it works.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#66 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

that first pic is after a restorer kit, nek minnut...

#67 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

Tried sandpaper and scratch-x?

#68 owen1r

owen1r

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

2000 Grit wetsanding + PlastX. Headlights have stayed perfect since.

#69 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Nah these cracks and imperfections go all the way through. It's not just the surface. And yeah the restorer kit I used had 3 levels of sanding. Came up ok for about a month, then just went haywire.

#70 owen1r

owen1r

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Look at some detailing sites, I think it helps if you put some kind of sealant over the top to prevent damage. If the imperfections go all the way through I couldn't see why you can't swap the lenses over. Good luck.

#71 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

HID's emit a hell of of a lot more UV than halogens, hence why they need polishing occasionally. You are essentially looking at a controlled electrical arc (think welding, and the UV burns you get when wearing no protective clothing)

You should be able to switch the lens over, although it might be worthwhile buying a second set off IM for cheap. That way you keep the ADM ones, and you have spares if required.

Won on IM last night, a pair of these. Will cost me approx 260 landed once they are posted. Made sure I got ones with reasonable lengths of cable to splice, and all the plugs. Couldn't get a set that looked half decent, so got 2 singles. If you look, you can get good quality ones for very cheap. You just have to spend the hour or so it took me to make sure you get the right ones. Everything working, all plugs and excess cable. Most of the ones that look good either didnt have the level control plugs or parker/indicator globe holders, or didnt have the male plug on the main light.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#72 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Ok, got these a week or 2 ago, installed just then. Took me an hour, but I wasnt very organised and had to go back the the shed several times for extra tools and bits.

Rev D models are almost plug and play. As long as the dual filament parkers are installed, you are good to go with only mods to the main HID wiring. All other plugs are good. Use the JDM parkers and wiring up to the main parker plug, and just plug the ADM loom into it. Indicators are the same, ADM loom plugs straight in.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#73 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

yeah i noticed that on Sunday when i was having some work done to my headlights. why the fudge are the JDM parkers dual filament? also i can't find LED parkers that go into the JDM socket... only ones are way too tall for the housing and don't fit. 

also for anyone interested, i fixed up my HID JDM ones. i swapped the covers over from my perfect AUDM ones and painted the insides. came out pretty awesome if i don't say so myself,

old on the left new on the right. 

NL97MRGl.jpg

#74 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

As has been said somewhere on the forums, the second filament (21W rather than 5W I think) is for turn lamps - they come on solid when indicating, the Ford EF/EL Fairlanes had a similar setup with their fog lamps. Supposed to give you more light around the corner. Have never understood the need for them, but hey.

I have a set of LED single pole (filament in terms of incandescent lights) whites from Aerpro. Will go get a photo of them when it gets a bit later and I can get back out to the car.

I havent installed them yet, as the ADM wiring powers up the wrong pole for the new parkers to work, I need to switch one of the wires in the parker plug over to power up the other filament. Would be ok if I could get the same style LED light in double pole, but Aerpro only do the white T20 globes in single pole. Everything else in double pole LED is red for stop/tail.

#75 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you find some let me know. I'd love to keep that feature. Also can you do a quick diagram of yours when you're done? I think mine are correct but not sure...

#76 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm not going to worry about setting up the dual filaments to work to JDM spec. I'm just going to change the pins in the main parker plug (the flat 3 pin one the ADM loom plugs into) to make the single pole LED parker work. Theres way too much mucking around to be done to make it work to JDM spec, and I dont want to butcher my loom more than I have to. The wiring diagrams in the manual will tell you where you need to get the source from etc. for the second filament if you want to set it up.

To make them work fully probably wouldnt be that hard to do. Same as getting dual pole T20 white LED globes shouldn't be too hard if you know the max height you can go.

#77 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

I like the black on the indicator, looks good.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#78 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

I like the black on the indicator, looks good.

looks so much better. should have came like that. haha

#79 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

looks so much better. should have came like that. haha

Do you have any pictures of them installed?

#80 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

T20D45R.jpg

These are what I'm talking about. Can get them from supercheap auto and autopro stores. The only white ones they do in T20 wedge is the 45SMD single pole. No double pole, but could probably find similar online of a different brand. Have not actually put them into the assembly to check they fit yet, have only plugged them in - once I found I needed to change the pins I put the incandescent back in and reinstalled the light.

They are damn bright too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users