• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Got my lights today, they came with 35W D2S globes that appear to be a higher, bluer colour temp. I've checked around and seem to find conflicting information on the correct globe type. Some sites suggest that the D2S are the correct ones, but some suggest that the D2R's are the right ones. That being said, I've also read that there is only a small difference between the D2R and D2S. Apparently the D2R has an extra "stripe" on it somewhere which acts as an extra precaution to prevent glare. Does anyone have any definite info on which one is correct? Not that I mean to discount your advice Stocky but I'm just a tad confused considering mine came with D2S globes. I suppose someone could have just put in the wrong globes, which is likely considering they don't appear to be the stock 4300K colour temp.

I'm probably gonna order some new globes before I wire up and bolt these babies in though, as these ones look more like they're gonna be between 6500K and 7500K judging by the blue tint on them. Last thing I want to do is get the coppers' attention!

It says on the headlight assembly what globes, so double check.

I'll have a look at mine.. but pretty it said D2R.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#42 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

It says on the headlight assembly what globes, so double check.

I'll have a look at mine.. but pretty it said D2R.

Thanks for that mate, you're right - definitely D2R.

For anyone who wants photographic evidence :) :

IMAG00241_zpsac5db2b8.jpg

#43 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Differences in globes are this - D2R is a HID globe designed for a reflector lens assembly (Gen 3) and D2S is designed for a projector type assembly (Gen 4). I dont think you can get higher wattage HID globes, and even if you can, I wouldn't as the ballast is rated for 35W output. Anything over that and you will eventually kill the ballast (NOT cheap). Its not just a simple 'upgrade the wattage' like it is with standard halogen globes.

The only thing that changes really is the K rating of the globe. Generally as a rule, try not to go above 6000 to 6500K, as the amount of usable light drops the higher you go. Factory is approx 4300K I think. 

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#44 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Cheers for the info! After checking both the globes that came with mine one was what looked like a high colour temp (blue) D2S and one was a perfectly fine, 4300K D2R (woohoo! A spare!) I think you could go higher with the wattage but you'd definitely need an aftermarket ballast. That and I'm not sure if the excess heat generated could warp the light housings so I wouldn't attempt it.

I finally got mine wired up (thanks scotty!) and working! Though, the beam pattern seems quite inconsistent i.e. there are some spots that are a bit brighter than others and some that are a bit too dark. I've tried aligning them with a mate (trial and error) to at least initially ensure I'm not blinding anyone. Would anyone happen to have any tips or a guide on aligning these? At the moment they are somewhat underwhelming for HID's :(

#45 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

All priceless information guys!
Yeah I find that for HID's, they are underwhelming for sure. My stock headlights had a better output im sure of it.
I'm thinking maybe of retro fitting some projector lens to concentrate the light a bit more. They dont look great however.

#46 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

You guys got some duds?

I've found I've hardly had to touch the high beams, compared to standard headlights..

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#47 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Did you ever upgrade the globes in the standard ones though?

I'll upgrade the temp of the globe and see how it goes. But compared to my mates oem AUDM headlight that was converted to HID it's pathetic.

#48 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

For best light output, fo 4300k at 35w.

55w will be brighter but it takes much longer to get to temp.

Are they focused properly? 

IM47Gcv.jpg

#49 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Dunno. Lol. Just used the globes provided Haha.

#50 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

so wait. lets get this clear. 

can i, or can i not, put 55w globes to replace the quoted 35w globes?

#51 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

AFAIK, you can.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#52 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

But without changing the ballasts for 55w ones this would have little benefit.

#53 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Maybe the light ks are pointed down? Don't they have a little motor that adjusts them?

Posted Image

#54 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

From what I've seen, the Gen3's have quite a bluish colour light stock (JDM). You could try replacing the bulbs and bringing it back to optimal light output at 4300k.

You should not need a 55w globe as usually they are super bright and a 35w HID is plenty bright IMO.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#55 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I've been given some 6000k globes to see the difference. I think it will be too blue but at least will shoe me if it's just the temperature or not.
I've been told that 55w is possible but will not be reliable and will blow out within a year and melt things.
I'm also going to replace my ballast as it is the stock one from 10 years ago, so that may be a contributing factor. I'll post my results for everyone.

#56 krazynayba

krazynayba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hmm, mine are still better than my halogens (which were only the +20% brightness ones) it's more so the "evenness" of the beam that bugs me a bit. Some spots on the road are a bit brighter than others and it seems as if the right hand side doesn't go far right enough (even taking into consideration that it shouldn't go -too- far to prevent blinding other motorists.) They probably just need a proper alignment, problem is it's so hard to find the right environment for it. Most alignment guides advise to park back 25 foot (approx 8-9m) on a completely flat surface with a completely flat vertical wall. My driveway is on a heavy angle and I can't think of any mates who have completely flat driveways so...

The housings I got seem to have a lot of micro "slits" inside them in patches. They almost look as if to be from some form of heat damage. Perhaps the lenses are warped slightly which is causing the light output to be off? I'm currently trying to transplant the lenses from my AUDM lights onto the JDM ones to see if it makes any difference. That and my AUDM ones are in better condition :)

#57 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

The housings I got seem to have a lot of micro "slits" inside them in patches. They almost look as if to be from some form of heat damage. Perhaps the lenses are warped slightly which is causing the light output to be off? I'm currently trying to transplant the lenses from my AUDM lights onto the JDM ones to see if it makes any difference. That and my AUDM ones are in better condition :)

I think it's different material? I believe the HID's will melt the AUDM lens?

#58 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

I think it's different material? I believe the HID's will melt the AUDM lens?

if this is true then I'm forked. the HIDs aren't that hot anyway. i don't think it will melt the lens imo. 

#59 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

if this is true then I'm forked. the HIDs aren't that hot anyway. i don't think it will melt the lens imo. 

I don't know. Why do the HIDs lens react to the UV, but the non-HIDs lens don't?

#60 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

how do you know they do that? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users