Photo

Best ej block for a monster turbo build?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Fun times ahead :)

Buy jakes chuck the engine in a Gen 2 with forked engine, Part out Gen 3 shell.. gonna end up ALLOT cheaper.

I paid allot for the help i had but there was allllot of parts to buy too.. ANd yes i got the most expensive of nearly every option..

here is just one of my invoices.. Listing the main parts used for the conversion

Thats without cut purchase, Loom , Clutch brakes, Dyno time and lots of other shit..

2_zps15c20837.jpg

1_zpscd9cc43e.png

#22 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Fun times ahead :)

Buy jakes chuck the engine in a Gen 2 with forked engine, Part out Gen 3 shell.. gonna end up ALLOT cheaper.

I paid allot for the help i had but there was allllot of parts to buy too.. ANd yes i got the most expensive of nearly every option..

here is just one of my invoices.. Listing the main parts used for the conversion

Thats without cut purchase, Loom , Clutch brakes, Dyno time and lots of other shit..

2_zps15c20837.jpg

1_zpscd9cc43e.png

Like I said earlier, I get free labour for my cars, especially with a big build, and clutch and brakes setups I get for cheap too, I don't like the twin and triple plate clutches, I use a HD clutch that's modified to hold more power with the clutch pedal being not too heavy for daily use.

#23 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

buy my gen 2

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#24 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Plus Id rather do the conversion instead of buying one already done for piece of mind >.<

buy my gen 2

I just bought my gen 2 off quietone :L

#25 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like your all set then mate.. Make sure you keep us updated !! Maybe ill see ya at the lights one day :)

#26 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like your all set then mate.. Make sure you keep us updated !! Maybe ill see ya at the lights one day :)

Haha might be awhile, was hoping to have it done towards the end of next year but I'm losing my license so I get my fulls the year after :(

#27 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

If you aren't building this for a few years, start researching the new FB20 engine. Newer technology (direct injection) makes chasing big power easy...check out crawford performances 300kw BRZ. 

#28 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you aren't building this for a few years, start researching the new FB20 engine. Newer technology (direct injection) makes chasing big power easy...check out crawford performances 300kw BRZ. 

Seen that brz, heard the new engines pull out much easier power but wouldn't it be rather expensive seeing as it's a new engine?

#29 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's not THAT new. American/Japanese tuning houses don't muck aroung with aftermarket parts. They are all available now, so in two years (and possibly a better exchange rate again in future) the parts will be affordable enough.

In all reality, if you pay nearly nothing for machine time and labour costs, you are well ahead of the rest of us :)

#30 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Wouldn't the wiring also be much harder though? Seeing as it's much newer technology?

#31 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Wiring is wiring. AM Auto on the sunshine coast can do all that. Under a grand for a complete harness splice. Stress less and think about the fact that you are building an engine in 2015...

#32 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Would probably be cheaper to build an ej257 by then aswell? ;P

#33 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Seems like you've already made up your mind then ;)

Posted Image

#34 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's not about cheaper, I believe Pete was saying big power, easier.

#35 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

It might be easier for power but more expensive in terms of coupling an awd gearbox etc, unsure if the 6spd sti gearboxes would bolt onto a fb20?

#36 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

fb doesnt match up to a 6 speed, build an EJ, theres buckets of info on the net. but in all seriousness if you are only aiming for 300kw, buy an ej207, v6 Sti heads + B4 inlet manifold, adaptronic e420D,  GTPS04 turbo and e85, under 10k in the car and running  for 300 kw

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#37 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

fb doesnt match up to a 6 speed, build an EJ, theres buckets of info on the net. but in all seriousness if you are only aiming for 300kw, buy an ej207, v6 Sti heads + B4 inlet manifold, adaptronic e420D,  GTPS04 turbo and e85, under 10k in the car and running  for 300 kw

Wouldn't it be better to have an ej257 on e85? I like the extra torque of the 2.5 :P
Because I'd always love to have some more power down the track anyway

#38 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Didnt they post about it being expensive to get a 257 up around those numbers due to a weaker bore wall ?

Im running 25psi atm and only making 250 on 98.. id say you will def need to go E85 

Big problem with a ej257 block is the bores are very thin causing alot of bore flex. This in turn causes head gasket failure, uneven bore wear and even total failure of the bore. The use of e85 can off set this a fair bit but for that power range your looking at dart inserts and a closed deck (AKA $$$$$).

#39 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Didnt they post about it being expensive to get a 257 up around those numbers due to a weaker bore wall ?

Im running 25psi atm and only making 250 on 98.. id say you will def need to go E85

Hence why mine was close decked and sleeved. 35psi > come at me bro!!!!!!

If mine doesnt sell, i can keep it as ive already paid for the wedding. I kinda dont want the engine Frank and I built to blow, but on tje same token, we kinda do. I still have my GT35 and ive got another Autronic now.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#40 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Why the b4 inlet manifold out of interest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users