382 replies to this topic

#241 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Some solid progress today. Started by getting all the wiring connected up in the engine bay, all went smooth except for one connector which goes down to the gearbox. I forgot to tell AM Auto I was using the dual range box and they have wired in the connector for the Foz gearbox. I think I can undo where these bolt into the box and swap them that way, not sure yet. They are two large nuts at the rear of the box, can anyone tell me what they are and if these could be removed and swapped?

P1010192.jpg

One is the Reverse sensor and the other is the neutral switch, cant remember which is which but I cant see why you wouldn't be able to swap them over with the forester ones

#242 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Love the progress. 

OEM+

#243 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

I shall have a look see at that connector for you to see if can see it :) BTW great job on the car top notch job

#244 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

One is the Reverse sensor and the other is the neutral switch, cant remember which is which but I cant see why you wouldn't be able to swap them over with the forester ones

This. And this.

I've swapped my sensors through 3 boxes. I'm pretty sure they are all the same :)

Posted Image

#245 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Thanks guys.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#246 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

So I swapped those 2 sensors on the rear of the gearbox and connected up the harness so that is done now, I also trimmed a little off the turbo heat shield so it was easy to remove or install, seemed to be overkill in the stock arrangement.

I pulled the glovebox back out to try figure out where that connector goes but no luck. If anyone with a Gen3 Lib or Outback could stick their head under the passenger side dash and take a look at the wiring. There is a connector that goes to the blower motor at the bottom (has the "A" sticker on it) then if you follow that leading away from the main harness (away from the door) there is only 2 more connectors on it, one goes right to the top of the dash (only contains 2 wires) and the 3rd is the one I'm trying find.

P1010393.jpg

#247 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Have you got a copy of a service manual? The wiring diagrams in there are great. If you don't, and I remember tonight at work, I'll have a look for you.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#248 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Going out to the garage now.

Ok had a look under glove box, all wires seem to head in an upwards direction.

Sorry can't be more help, but would have to pull the dash apart to see anymore.

The wiring diagram siunds like a good idea to check.

#249 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Ok - I need some information.

What colour is the plug? Non-coloured, or white, black, green etc.

How many pins is it?

What colour wire and what colour trace - ie Black wire with orange trace will read Black/orange.

Whats the layout of the plug? Best get a photo straight on so I can see how the plug is arranged. Not explicitly needed, but helps when flicking through the appropriate sections of the wiring diagram.

I know the approx area it belongs to by your photos, and I can probably tell the wire colours, but if I get you to say, there won't be any screw ups.

If you can get this done tonight, I can look it up for you. After tomorrow morning, I go on leave for a week and wont be home to look unfortunately.

Cheers,

Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#250 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Today started well but didn't end well. First job was getting the intercooler back on now that all the wiring in the engine bay is complete (except the water pump). That went well and I gave it a good clean before installing it. Then I connected up the water lines to the intercooler and started adding some protective rubber in areas where the hose may rub on the chassis.

P1010397.jpg

P1010396.jpg

Next I reinstalled the fender, front bumper, fog lights and secured the headlights.

P1010405.jpg

Then I decided to install the new fuel pump, things were going well and there was a chance of starting the car this afternoon

P1010399.jpg

Then this plastic nipple snapped and I basically lost interest and went and did some gardening.

P1010401.jpg

Hopefully I can get a new fuel assembly at a wreckers

#251 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Going out to the garage now.

Ok had a look under glove box, all wires seem to head in an upwards direction.

Sorry can't be more help, but would have to pull the dash apart to see anymore.

The wiring diagram siunds like a good idea to check.

Thanks for looking mate, it does help to know its up top somewhere.

Ok - I need some information.

What colour is the plug? Non-coloured, or white, black, green etc.

How many pins is it?

What colour wire and what colour trace - ie Black wire with orange trace will read Black/orange.

Whats the layout of the plug? Best get a photo straight on so I can see how the plug is arranged. Not explicitly needed, but helps when flicking through the appropriate sections of the wiring diagram.

I know the approx area it belongs to by your photos, and I can probably tell the wire colours, but if I get you to say, there won't be any screw ups.

If you can get this done tonight, I can look it up for you. After tomorrow morning, I go on leave for a week and wont be home to look unfortunately.

Cheers,

Ben

Here is a close up of the connector

P1010416.jpg

In this photo you can see where the tree of wires plug into the main harness circled in red, everything on this tree is plugging into the heater so I'm guessing the missing one must also plug into the heater.

P1010414.jpg

Note my harness might not be in the same position as yours.

Thanks.

#252 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Has the black wire got a trace on it or is it just the orange loops?

#253 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Has the black wire got a trace on it or is it just the orange loops?

Sorry what do you mean by that? my knowledge of wiring is limited at best :)

#254 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I have the subaru service manual diagram for you, click on the link to download the pdf :)

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Also I took some photos but photobucket is playing up!!!

#255 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

From what I can see there, on that plug, there is a white wire, which has a blue trace (or line, if you want basic lingo) on it, and a red wire with a white trace on it. Sorry, I really should have explained that one, my bad.

From what I can see in the manual, theres not a lot of 3 pin connectors in that location. One of which is the ABS 'G' sensor. Somewhat crucial to the operation of the ABS and perhaps the airbag systems. Another one is supposed to be black, and thats the turn and hazard module.

But I doubt the manual goes in depth at this level to bridging connectors - ie a plug to join 2 looms together to make removal easier. They get covered under each individual system.

At this stage I cant find anything in the gen 3 liberty/legacy manual to say what it might be. Did this part of the loom get shipped off to AM Auto? You may be looking at a forester part of the loom, which I dont have any info on.

Best bet for quick fix is to hook a battery up and see if a fault code comes up. The A/C system has its own diagnostics separate from the main ECU, I'll have a look later tonight to see what the process is for that and will let you know. I'm sorry I cant be of more help, this sort of thing is painful to try and fault find.

Edit - Champion! - that will help him majorly. Download that and check out the wiring system part - there is a section there thats called 'Harness components location' that is what I've been refering too - make sure you look at the specific sections for RHD/Wagon/no of cylinders for your original car though - otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.

Cheers,

Ben

#256 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

I've got lots of pics from the conversion.

Looks like it plugs in on top of the fan/heater box:

YKfhZn3l.jpg

#257 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

That certainly looks like the culprit Tim - Cheers! Hope that gets you out of trouble man.

Makes sense too - the actual contact patches (or at least where the contact patches should be) are just as corroded as the rest of the metal plug. Which would indicate it wasn't actually connected to anything.

#258 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

P1010401.jpg

Hopefully I can get a new fuel assembly at a wreckers

If worse comes to worse, you can buy the housing separately from a dealer #42052AE221 and retail is around $150 .

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#259 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

I've got lots of pics from the conversion.

Looks like it plugs in on top of the fan/heater box:

YKfhZn3l.jpg

Wow I feel stupid now, it was right in front of me the whole time, I will check it out when I get home this arvo.

Thanks mate.

#260 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

If worse comes to worse, you can buy the housing separately from a dealer #42052AE021 and retail is around $150 .

Thanks mate, is that everything except the pump or just the top plastic lid part?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbo, swapped, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users