#1 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi guys,
Was wondering if anyone knew if tyese headers - http://www.empireper...th-headers.html
Would fit my 2gen liberty RX with the turbo crossmember, they are meant for a gc8 but apparently original gc8 headers fit my car but are hard to find, wondering if anyone knew if these would fit considering they look slightly different to the original ones

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

Should fit with some exhaust shop mods

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Those ones won't fit as the flange plate is a different shape. All Subaru turbo exhaust manifolds (excluding twinscroll and TT) are pretty much identical from 1989 to recent so i can't see why you're having a hard time finding some.

In regards to the Gen2 RX being able to be fitted with a turbo manifold, I don't think there's any solid evidence it can be done, or if anyone has. A close bud of mine has a Gen2 RX and i have checked out the stock manifold design and i reckon it can be done. The positioning looks pretty darn close.

Jump onto the Subyclub FB or Subaru car/parts (shudder) FB page and ask if anyone has some spare headers. Surely there's got to be some sitting on heaps in peoples sheds somewhere.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

i have two sets of headers sitting in my shed 1 set is from a legacy GT(has 02 sensor in headers) and the other from a GC8. Where are you located?

#5 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

Pretty sure mark (Cruisn) did it on his outback?

Posted Image

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Pretty sure mark (Cruisn) did it on his outback?

yep

tIeW8DE.png

#7 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

Im located in sydney,
Jimbo what i was saying was that the RX has a turbo crossmember and apparently a gc8 header can fit it is only a slightly different shape to the stock header on this car, but gc8 ones are uel, whilst mine are el, this is just an aftermarket for a gc8 so if a stock gc8 fits i dont see why this one shouldnt fit aswell

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#8 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

So here i have found a photo of a gc8 header and a header from my car gc8 is uel rx is el should be easy enough to tell which is which but the point is they are very similar and some people on the liberty forums have done it and say it fits

Attached Files

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#9 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

The flange plates all look exactly the same shapes and size to me, the only part i would be worried about is that it cuts across on the far end, but i have checked my car and there does seem to be space there not sure exactly how much would be needed though, and also it looks like there are adjusters on the aftermarket ones to increase the space in between the ports if needed, sorry the website pictures are shit, these shots are off ebay

Attached Files

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#10 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Re-read my post.

Yes the standard turbo headers will fit, we know this now. The ones in the link you posted in your original thread won't, have a look at the shape of the flange on the headers where they meet the up-pipe. Totally different.

Incase you still don't get it. The "Empire Performance" website shows a header system with a 3 bolt tri-shape flange. The standard Subaru ones are just a 2 bolt. If you had a turbo Subaru, they would be fine as they supply an up-pipe with the same tri-shaped flange plate.

In your application they are useless unless you had that tri-shaped flanged cut off and a stock one put in place. 

#11 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Oh sorry, i did not notice that these headers had 3 flange bolts in some of the pictures it looks like two i was disregarding the up pipe as they said you wouldnt use it, hmmmm so i need a standard gc8 header but that seems very tricky to find, ill try making a few posts on the fb sites you said

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Doesn't necessarily have to be a GC8 header. Any wrx/forester/liberty turbo manifold will work, aside from twin scroll and twin turbo, right through to anything up to 2007 and some models after.

#13 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Okay so, ive found this http://www.speedyrac...EADER-STAINLESS
They look completely off, they go around the wrong side to begin with and it emds up coming towards the stock cat sideways, at least thats what it looks like in my head, im not sure about this one but in the coments 2 guys put it on their 98 liberty im not sure if they have gen 3 or gen 2 it definitly does not look right but what do you think?

Attached Files

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#14 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Borla make headers the same shape as that and they fit legacys from 97, they fit the GT model does that mean they will fit my RX? The flange seems to only have two bolts this time

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#15 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

Those will fit gen 2 2.2 not 2.5 

They do not run above the subframe they run underneath it 

#16 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

Those are the same ones I have. First review was me lmao. I dont think the US 2.5 GT uses a turbo cross member so they fit theirs but not our 2.5

tIeW8DE.png

#17 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

Yours is a Gen2. For some reason, with the 2.5 RX they did something funky with the exhaust at the front of the car. As you know, it curves to the side and does a loop over the crossmember and back down again. similar to the turbo setup sans turbo.

The 2.2 LX/GX has a different system again which is more akin to the headers you have shown above.

In all honesty the best thing you can do in your application, is go for a set of second hand turbo headers. They bolt right up and you don't have to modify anything, hell, you can install them yourself. With the above system you would need to have your system fabbed up to fit them. The amount you would spend on that for the burble is nonsense. Not saying don't, but the setup in the 2.5 RX is ready to roll.

#18 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

What if i could snag these i cant see what the flange plate is like though it might be that bloody 3 bolt one again :/ -_-

Attached Files

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

#19 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I was just about to link those to you. They're what you want.

All stock Suby headers just 2 bolt flange.

The aftermarket shiny ones for some reason sometimes use a different flange, probably so you have to buy their up-pipe aswell if it's not included.

Post up a "wanted" thread in here aswell, has to be some somewhere willing to be swapped for a 6-pack!

#20 LIB80T

LIB80T

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261631659289
Isnt this the same as the first one i found???? This one only has 2 bolts for the flange, you reckon this one will fit????
Oh i dont care about the shinyness i just want uels that will actually fit hahaha so if those second hand ones will fit ill start bidding, you sure they will work?
Oh i dont care about it being shiny, i just want something thatll fit! Lol anyway if your sure those second hand ones will fit ill start bidding
Woops sorry never seen that it added it to my previous post, im new to all this forum stuff

1997 RX Liberty

2003 RX SE Liberty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Liberty, Exhaust Mods, Headers, 2.5L RX, 1998, 2Gen, gen2, Help, gc8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users