272 replies to this topic

#201 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Also got this sticker for Christmas 5ef6b19994451e6670e69dd83ab385cc.jpg probably not gonna go on the car because I don't really do stickers, but it's still funny haha

#202 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

Nice work on the BFM Pat...

#203 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

I find the dimmed setting too faint. It's okay for night driving, but during the day when it calls for headlights to be on (raining/heavy overcast) it's not bright enough. Especially when there's still enough glare to have sunnies on.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#204 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Good choice for NOT putting on that sticker.

All these BFM issues..... no issues on my REV D. 😜

OEM+

#205 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:38 AM

Good choice for NOT putting on that sticker.

All these BFM issues..... no issues on my REV D.

lmao true, but we're not all lucky enough to find a rev d gtb in 51e

#206 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

Wow, top work Pat! That'd be a mental job. So fiddly, time consuming, and important to get it right. Mint.

You're going to love those silicon hoses. SO MUCH EASIER! :D

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#207 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

That's for the kind words, guys !

@jim, after driving with it for a week I completely understand where you're coming from.

Might use one of the blank switches to make a "dinming" switch. Haha

Silicon hoses are great, also found 2 vacuum lines with 'T' pieces in them going to no where. Presumed that there should be no open vacuum lines so I removed the T's and now the car feels a lot nicer to drive and the primary turbo is a lot louder. I think it's a good thing.

Also bought some late Christmas presents for myself

e77ca3829f2d77c9b2da9ada557032cd.jpg

#208 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Schmick!! Very similar braking performance but bling increase 1000% :D :D :D

And looks like you've solved the rear adaptor problem! Happy Christmas Pat

#209 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Also got this sticker for Christmas 5ef6b19994451e6670e69dd83ab385cc.jpg probably not gonna go on the car because I don't really do stickers, but it's still funny haha

Needs more eloquence ;)

JzLtxe.jpg

Came on my RS and has since been removed (as it's a family wagon)...

Yes pretty funny though! Maybe I should get one for my brother now that he's got his first ever four door vehicle (he's 32!). But I don't think his fiancé would see the funny side to it :/

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#210 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

So another update on the car, I've been busy with work and haven't had much time to post many things up here but fixed some problems with the shitty immobiliser that sometimes wouldn't let me start the car even when I disabled it, idk causing unnecessary problems so it's been removed for now and will be replaced with a unit later. Next issue is after removing it the factory key fob only locks the car, when I press the unlock button it locked the car again lmao, will be sussing out some of the wiring that's been modified and see what I can do to fix it.

Replaced some lights on the BFM and the footwell lighting with Marks help about changing the plastic on the LED's to make them fit help, no more flicking lights and everything is perfect.
2528385a8156ba50708f3d15d2ac5048.jpg
Woo! Thanks Mark!

Also removed all the shitty stickers on the back and the rest of the tape from the zerosports waist spoiler 7b21adfd2796bf62666201fae8698c75.jpg

Also got some goodies from Mark I'll be installing soonish, hopefully this weekend. Can anyone confirm if the springs between wagon and sedan are different for the STI pinks, I've read that the tears are different, not sure on the fronts but might swap them all just in case. My struts are squeaking and have leaks (not mad).

Next thing I never reported was the hole in my intake duct, I sorta repaired it with some garden fitting and some silicon however I still need to replace it as it's dangerous to the car, however since I plugged it, the car actually produces boost now, however I think it's under boosting getting about 0.6bar on primary and the VOD drop and slowly climbs back up to 0.6bar on secondary.

Need to replace it but can't find a decent price takes to a few Subaru sewers and they wouldn't help, and Amayama wants about $240 not including shipping. So much money.

Next thing that has happened is I have removed the Zerosports sequential controller as I've done some research and believed that it's causing my constant check engine light (code 45,65) a lot of my research showed people with a zerosports ECU and with a sequential controller would get fake engine lights. Not sure why, one post I read on uklegacy some guy claimed that zerosports even said themselves that it's not compatible.
eef94104da88fcd80b2ef17cf20344fb.jpg
(Yes I cleaned the floor before putting the carpet back down )

After removing it and fixing the factory ECU wiring the car was running slot a better for about 5 minutes and then I got an engine light. Checked my laptop and I only had code 45, better than both.
Code 45 relates to the boost control or boost pressure solenoid - depend on on where you look it up, but something along those lines, my research led my to check the little solenoid inside the passenger wheel arch.

Yesterday I had a spare hour or so, so and I decided to tackle it. Jacked up the car and lifted the wheel off, removed the wheel arch lining (couldn't get the last clip put near the side skirt so I just rolled it up lol) and pulled this solenoid out.
20e913e1ed83d6a18681c03ce6e0b771.jpg5f53be251f0c28a2634c8011790489e9.jpg

Plugged in the green diagnostic plugs and gave it a run, sounded alright to my untrained ears, but soft but slowly ticking. Decided to take to it with a can of UEC and even when the solenoid was clicking nothing would come out the other end regardless of which way I sprayed, I just let loose on the thing till it spat out all this black gunk and started to tick really fast and a lot louder. Pretty sure it sounds better than before. Haha

Happy with my result I quickly cleaned the overspray and put the car back together. Also while everything was off I decided to clean the wheel arch down as it was all shitty. After some elbow grease and a rag with some cleaner on it I gave it a quick covering with the cheapo spray tyre shine from supercheap, makes everything looks new lmao. Also cleaned the car down and the strut because I already had a rag in my hand. Gave the car a slight 'Mark Cruisin' treatment too and decided to spray the inner wheel well black again like its former glory, it had faded off a fair bit and was like a white grey.

I didn't get before pics but I took one of the other side before I started on it

d0ebd8a1f6b920ca0af03146a15b30e4.jpgd3178a4e38c9672248e26ffd0a372276.jpg
Before

b134f27096ba32268522d629a5309a09.jpg6402d040adea2a67ccf7b3fb2096b825.jpgd376477fd3ff91102222eca726c98831.jpg
After.

I put the car back together and plugged in my laptop, cleared to stored engine codes and took it for a drive, got the code again tried to reset it and it came back instantly.

Shitty with my results I called it a day and went to do something else. However later that day I was going and and I started the car to no light, plugged the laptop in and no current codes, cleared the stored codes, turned the car off and on and no light! Woo! Drove the car all last night and all today with no light :) don't want to jinx myself but happy travelling so far.

Cheers Pat.

#211 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

How does it feel after cleaning out the boost solenoid? Boosting better?

Nice work too btw :D

#212 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Pat that wheel arch looks so good! I considered doing the same when I was fitting those indicators but could not find the drive!

Hey if you weren't tracking already you can buy boxes of those push clips (for the inner guard plastic) from ebay.

Sorry about the dumb question but when you want to check/clean a solenoid you connect the green plugs in the driver's footwell, then zip over to the solenoid and spray cleaner through it? Or do you unplug it, clean, then reassemble? I've never really understood what the deal was :unsure: And w00t at clearing the CEL! Nice work. Glad you had a win!

#213 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Also I forgot to mention I got a factory sub, which I'm gonna use the bracket for a factory looking sound system install.
f2127eadab830887f93026f7caf1e299.jpg
Factory air purifier switch (which has a plug but does nothing) 5e8e3b5c7d13a1b36090ab5486a9702c.jpg

New grill - I've seen lots of these on yahoo but never really liked them. But a few weeks ago I was reading through Jimbo's build tread from the start again and I just thought it looks amazing so I bought one lmao needs a small tidy up but so got it for a bargain.
46f7a78ad47c101d1b55da8a21c94691.jpg42ae8ec958a9fc87c47695cd09cd07eb.jpg

And an STI genome gauge. Extended the factory wiring to install the control box in my glove box as it looks ugly. But the gauge looks really cool and is good as I can monitor my boost levels to see if anything I do fixes the low boost. Killing me with the green tho, so I'll be orderin some new LEDS and replacing them and the lens as per marks guide. Very keen.
08089bd268d82a9d15f24f90fedf57cc.jpg
Cheers, Pat

Excuse the potato pics, it's all I have haha

#214 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Nice. 

Front STi springs are the same, rears are indeed different as wagon has a little more weight in the rear.

I bought a new intake duct from PartsOuq for US$130 iirc.

OEM+

#215 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

How does it feel after cleaning out the boost solenoid? Boosting better?

Nice work too btw :D

car is feeling pretty nice when driving, change over is nice in lower gears, slow as in 4th/5th but I believe that's TTlife. Still not sure what's limiting the 0.6bar could be a boost leak somewhere. Thought it could be the secondary turbo but I can feel it pick up definitely feels faster then when on primary, but only reaches 0.6bar. I've got new vacuum hose and I'm gonna replace the engine bay, plus incorporate hose 10 mod (new BOV on its way anyway lol ) and the line 1 mod (restrictor in the line) but no engine lights which is good, and now that I'm boosting again I'll need to install a catch can before my engine gets covered again hahaha

#216 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Pat that wheel arch looks so good! I considered doing the same when I was fitting those indicators but could not find the drive!

Hey if you weren't tracking already you can buy boxes of those push clips (for the inner guard plastic) from ebay.

Sorry about the dumb question but when you want to check/clean a solenoid you connect the green plugs in the driver's footwell, then zip over to the solenoid and spray cleaner through it? Or do you unplug it, clean, then reassemble? I've never really understood what the deal was :unsure: And w00t at clearing the CEL! Nice work. Glad you had a win!

Would recommend it, doesn't take too much effort and I know you never really see the wheel arch but I feel heaps better about my car, it looks better and and all about pride haha

I just bought a set, but they're the shitty screw type ones which I didn't realise, so cable ties till have a bit of money to spend again

Well I never really touch/clean the electrical plugs unless they need it, and in any case I'd clean them with the car off.

And yeah once you connect those green plugs the car puts 12v on and off the solenoid which opens and closes the airway between the two vacuum lines so while its ticking open and closed you pulled the lines out and spray through the two ports till it come out the other port. You could also right up a 12v supply to keep the solenoid constantly open and clean it out, but I find it easier to just connect the green plugs lol. Same goes for the 4/5 solenoids in the BBOD, which I might redo as I think I missed 2 of them last time. When I do them again I'll take a video and post it.

Nice. 

Front STi springs are the same, rears are indeed different as wagon has a little more weight in the rear.

I bought a new intake duct from PartsOuq for US$130 iirc.

Thanks Mark!

Yeah rev A-C spec is $160 on partsouq but it's 'unavailable' emailed them and they said they aren't getting any in

Sweet thanks for the info, the front are gonna just get swapped straight over and I'll change the springs on the rear :)

#217 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

So I had another small success today! Woo!

After still getting the check engine code 45 I thought there must be something wrong with the pressure solenoid or the vacuum hoses. After searching for a diagram for a JDM model I came across this one which I think is for the rev a-c JDM. 14530b4e19d58153caeb7ad84a5eca67.jpg
I think there are a few changes to D/E. Can anyone confirm? Also are there differences in restrictor pill size or locations? Thanks.

Anyway, I checked the diagrams and looked at my vacuum hoses coming from the passenger wheel arch and I noticed the hose 10 was connected to nothing lmao. It seriously was plugged into the screw end of a hose clamp on a coolant hose 2c13de82cf897d913a829cb486980e1e.jpg

Anyway I new that wasn't right so, while I was in the process of changing my BOV to a new GFB one I bought I did the hose 10 mod and removed the blue Tee, took that line out and connected the hose 10 from the pressure solenoid into the original plastic (can be seen circled in red up there ^) that joins into the rest of hose 10 under the intercooler. (If that made any sense) b1cb3e8f4f91fc65ff6321d9723e97c4.jpg also seen here.
9e762b98c9be81abea13d8216b172f5e.jpgnew BOV installed and wiring for cabin controlled recirc/atmo vent

Anyway after connecting those hoses I cleared the engine lights and took it for a drive holy shit boosting to 1.1bar on primary and 1.3bar on secondary. Feels very smooth and pulls hard. Change over is a lot faster and everything sounds to run better. Very happy with results. Even in this 40degrees and aircon running it throws you into your seat pretty good. I thought boost levels were a bit high, but it could be due to the zerosports ECU, which I think increases peak boost a bit.

Now when I tart the car sometimes the check engine light will come on for a few minutes and then turn off. I tried clearing it and I'm about to give it another shot to see if it comes on. If it does I'm going to order a new pressure sensor and then I'll be happy with how the engines driving and it'll be time to move onto upgrading breaks and suspension hope everyone else is winning on their cars today.

Also got a delivery on Friday too a1205bcfc1c8bf0a2621df200edcea4d.jpg factory floor mats. They were considered junk on yahoo because of some staining so they were only like $25 before shipping and I'm gonna try wash the stains out had good results on one mat so far

Thanks, Pat!

#218 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Awesome win on sorting out your boost issues, must feel like another car!

#219 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

yeah it feels so much nicer to drive, I knew it felt like it wasn't running right. Primary turbo spools to about 1.2bar now, not sure if that's too high. But it feels good

yeah it feels so much nicer to drive, I knew it felt like it wasn't running right. Primary turbo spools to about 1.2bar now, not sure if that's too high. But it feels good

#220 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Wastegate solenoid line plugged certainly explains 0.6bar. That's wastegate pressure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users