#141 Wrx33j

Wrx33j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

Photos please?

Thanks for the edit dylan, that insult hurt my feelings :rolleyes:

Back on topic now, dont mod your na's fellas, wait till your off your P's and save up your moneys and get a turbo or convert ;)

i will take some to day when i go out .....

and i not worred but save up my money for a turbo or a convert .... when i own a liberty GT ... but i cant drive it till i am off my p plates

#142 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the edit dylan, that insult hurt my feelings

I edited the swearing out of your post as well, so just try to keep your potty mouth in -check when you're voicing your opinion on other people / other peoples cars. That's all I ask.

This thread will be put through the full washing cycle soon so off topic stuff will be removed - please move questions / discussion about Tim's car to his thread, any other other discussion points to the general thread.

Thanks for travelling with SubyClub-rail.

#143 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Mitch, no offence, but your defiance against cops is wrongly placed. I mean surely, if you run around with cut springs and Tempe rims you can expect to be pulled over....

If your AT LEAST sensible with what you do TO your can and what you do when your IN your car - you shouldn't have any problems. Street racing, blatant flaunting of the speed limit and generally hooning about ISN'T sensible. NOBODY CARES nor believes that your car can do a 13second run. A.) because its an EJ25. And B.) because if you eventually get yourself a turbo, it'll blow your forged internals Abu Dhabi-spec EJ25 out of the water!

i'd sugest spend the money on how the car looks and handles and save for until your off your p's..

and dont waste money on N/A engine work its a complete waste of time and cops will know if you have after market cams in the car by the way it idles

Your absolutely right mate, I echo your sentiments to any other potential NA modder - don't waste your money trying to extract a poofteenth of a KW out of your motor. For the money (and the [p-plate] time), your better off spending your money on how it handles. New tyres are the best way, dollar for dollar, to improve handling and control. Thats what I've done and I blow big RWD barges off the mark in the wet :P

I've been pottering about in my mighty EJ25 for some 2.5yrs+ now. Absolutely NO engine/exhaust mods whatsoever! And thats money I've had to spend on how it looks. Because like Mitch - I want my car to look good. I just decided to go a different direction with that :P OEM FTW haha :lol:

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#144 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Well, that's it then.... For a first time Suby owner who only bought because of the reliability of my Brothers wife's old Impreza, I now know not to go down the Modding trail with a NA EJ25 (gen3 Liberty) chasing 0.00001 Kw gains. Instead I'll invest in $150+ tyres, scheduled Subaru servicing, and keeping it neat and tidy for a few years then graduate to the turbo/performance range..... Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread - was a good read! :)

#145 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Well, that's it then....
For a first time Suby owner who only bought because of the reliability of my Brothers wife's old Impreza, I now know not to go down the Modding trail with a NA EJ25 (gen3 Liberty) chasing 0.00001 Kw gains.
Instead I'll invest in $150+ tyres, scheduled Subaru servicing, and keeping it neat and tidy for a few years then graduate to the turbo/performance range.....
Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread - was a good read!
:)

glad to see finally people like you taking in the good advice, and not arguing on a fixation!

:)

#146 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Well, no point in arguing against reasonable logic!

I just completed my first full tank of fuel (64L) and thought it was a little thirsty, I got around 600Km's out of it.
Variables were A/C use for a couple of days and a weekend strap up in the hills but generally 95% city driving... Is that normal would you think? Are they a little thirsty??

The topic of ECU chips has been mentioned here and I found one last night on eBay and am a little sceptical of its claims after reading this thread. I've posted this in my "Brand 2nd hand..." thread as well but thought it may be of more relevance here.

It claims a gain of just over 20Kw for my engine but it doesn't say where that gain is measured (I've asked and haven't received a reply). It seems a little excessive after reading everything in this thread....
Find the eBay listing here.
Pro's / Con's?
BS / or Not?

#147 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

64l to 600k, 10.7 l/100 sounds OK to me. From memory we get around 11-12 l/100 so your a little better. As far as the chip. Ask yourself this; 23 bucks, 10 mins work (anyone can install) and you get 20kW plus a drop in fuel consumption. I call BS. Some of these chips do nothing more than increase the amount of fuel being delivered to the engine. Without a mod to increase the amount of air (ie turbo) the extra fuel cannot be efficiently burnt so you get a rich mixture, drop in power and use more fuel. Cheers J PS Dash looks MUCH better. Top job.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#148 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

Yo Merlin, if you're the only suby na driver I've converted so far with this thread to not waste your money, then my jobs done here.. Well done dude, suspension and handling and also brakes are good step, no matter what the car! 20kw gain from an ecu is very possible, I know this from experience.. From an NA with no mods at all, possibly 5-10kws at the wheels.. But not 20.. You'd need some other work to get the full 20

#149 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Gym, Subies and taking things apart

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Wel this thread was an interesting read haha! Safe to say I completely agree. I'm on my greens( only for another few months and thank f*** for that) but handling is definitely the way to go. Get yourself a nice set of bilsteins from a B4 and drop yourself a little if you are a gen 3 Lib and if you are like me and want your suby burble get a set of unequal headers and a nice catback exhaust. And you are done. Only other thing I'm thinkin of doing is getting some B4 rims and a slightly lower profile tyre to get rid of a little tyre roll on the corners from your higher profile.
IMG 5427

574914 10151465982585789 1986020689 N
Subaru Fans, always willing to go the extra mile ;)

#150 Pats

Pats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:heaps.. even ones I really can't afford

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the posted info and it made great reading.. any sound advise is better than B@#%^ IT.....

Pat S

Passenger Mechanic and private ATM

#151 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Shit, This takes me back.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#152 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

1st - Why isnt there anyone here with an N/A that has played around with different types of cams?, a good cam set will get you more intake and exhaust which = more power!! pod filters = 0.000001kw power!

6th - all you Auto's, go install a shift kit in the gearbox, $400-500, will give you firm and hard shifts from each gear without that dreaded wait time from gear to gear!

Has anybody ever attempted a cam upgrade with successful results?

Where and what are some of the shift kits to suit?

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#153 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yeah the cams get upgraded when you do a turbo conversion - they will come with the new engine. Usually very good results.

If you get an Auto box with your half cut, it will have tiptronic.

ps. no one's done it because it's not worth the time or money investment in an NA.

#154 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Has anybody ever attempted a cam upgrade with successful results?

Where and what are some of the shift kits to suit?

I believe in the states there is a company that you send your OEM cams and they re grind them and send them back for an extremely good price. Have a look on RS25.com. There are heaps of people over there that are bolting on EJ22 heads to Ej25's, cams, DIY port & polish etc. Some seem to get some gains. Not worth the coin considering some of them are only just managing to equal a standard WRX in terms of power.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#155 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

6th - all you Auto's, go install a shift kit in the gearbox, $400-500, will give you firm and hard shifts from each gear without that dreaded wait time from gear to gear!

8th - Diff ratios, this is one of the most important, a good high revving set can awaken your car like you wouldnt believe

Where are the shift kits available from?

Has anybody played around with diff ratios? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SOHC EJ25 Auto runs 4.44's while the Manual runs 4.11's; is a SOHC EJ25 from the manual GX's the same - 4.11's?

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#156 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

or you could buy a Subaru that's turbo because confusious say  " Subaru with no turbo like bird with no wings"

#157 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

or you could buy a Subaru that's turbo because confusious say  " Subaru with no turbo like bird with no wings"

Haha more like bird with little wings. N/A Subarus are excellent machines but if you like going fast, you may as well buy a bicycle and a whipper snipper instead of an N/A. 

As far as modding an n/a goes, make it look good (i.e no turbo bonnets) and ride good, and enjoy it for what it is, that's how I've always approached it. I facepalm every time I see people spending $100s and $1000s on parts trying to make their GX a WRX. Just buy a WRX for half the headache, cars aren't sentimental treasures, they're pieces of metal. 

#158 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have a N/A and it goes awesome ;)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#159 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hahahaha

Just read the whole thread, good laugh.

#160 Cracktastic

Cracktastic

Street-Cover & OFIM Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Bewbs

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm pretty happy what ive done with my car so far, it just needs more low now :)

WbhSuDb.png

Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.c.../125210776@N07/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MattMFotos

For inquires please email me on: mattmccamley@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users