←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

2000 Gen 3 RX

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 22 Oct 2012

One photo the car is on stands, the other its on the ground ;)

Oh! Hahaha

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 22 Oct 2012

Second hand might be the go man! I don't know how much though!!

Had a quick eBay and the ones on there were around $600 :(

It looks to me like those rear endlinks are metal, like the B4/GTB ones. I was under the impression, non-turbo Subs got them in plastic. If they arent making any noise, they are a better link to have than the plastic ones you had on the front.

Did your mechanic actually diagnose the steering noise as the pump? Could the flutter be from the aftermarket rims hitting the guard liner? :)

Just checked for any marks under the guards, but their all clean. The noise happens anywhere through turning, not always on full lock :(

There are 2 different pumps for the 00 models. Both dont give you much change from 1k brand new. If you can get a good second hand one that isnt screwed, do that.
I tried doing that, but the second hand one was stuffed also, so it got sent back and I had to wait for a new one to be sent from sydney.

Cant hear much in those videos, but I'm at work now, so will listen to them on my headphones at home. If its the power steering pump, it will be hard to turn the wheel when idling, and at higher revs it will whine rather than flutter.

You will only hear the noises when you turn the wheel (when the pump actually operates), when driving straight there will only be a very slight whine at higher revs (it will be MUCH easier to hear it when idling in your driveway - sit the video camera on the ABS unit with the bonnet up in your driveway and just slowly turn the wheel left and right to full lock - I will be able to tell you if its the pump then).
If its easy to turn the wheel when idling, and there is noise when not turning the steering wheel I would say the PS pump is not the issue.

For all those people who dont want to have PS pump issues - Dont sit your gen 3 on full lock doing ringies with the revs up. I did it for about 30 seconds on a wet claypan, and thats what killed the pump. Very quick way to have the wallet really start complaining...

1k :'( Tried to get a video of pump noises but it seems that it isnt that loud as the engine noise is far louder than the pump. Suggest maybe the pump isn't that knackered then?

As for doing 'ringies'... Didn't think the ol' EJ251 could manage to do one hahaha :P

I re-built mine. Stopped abit of a whine I had.
Wasn't hard, just make sure the vanes/fins are the same way on the impeller. Hardest part was getting a clip off the shaft on the inside.

Make sure you get a new gasket (weird copper double gasket thing) for the top hose and make sure it's done up tight.

Well if it turns out the pump needs fixing ill give it a shot, don't want to ruin the pump if it's actually not the culprit haha

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's really appreciated. Just want to get this problem fixed before it gets any worst, or destroys something else that will cost a fortune to fix!

Re bled the car today. There was ALOT of air in there. Was at it for 45 mins with lots of different methods until there wasn't any air coming out. Went for a drive.... Still there :@ Will have to have a look at all the hoses on the weekend to inspect for cracks/tears or loose connections.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 22 Oct 2012

Yep, if you can't clearly hear the pump in the cabin with all the windows closed, I'd say the pump is ok. Probably just got air in the system.
Hopefully you find what it is, and get her fixed!

As for ringies - wet claypan. Nothing more to say.
Posted Image

Adam's Photo Adam 22 Oct 2012

Haha that pic is epic!!!

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 23 Oct 2012

Yep, if you can't clearly hear the pump in the cabin with all the windows closed, I'd say the pump is ok. Probably just got air in the system.
Hopefully you find what it is, and get her fixed!

As for ringies - wet claypan. Nothing more to say.
Posted Image

Haha thats is one MAAAD photo!!!!! Where about is it? It looks like mud/dirt?

Yeah can barely hear it in the cabin. Maybe ill try giving it a quick bleed? Is it just a matter of jacking up, turning on, pulling the power steering bottle cap off and giving her a few turns lock to lock?
Thanks for the help allpaw!

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 29 Oct 2012

On a claypan near where I live. Out in the sticks, about 2 - 3 days after we got some rain. Its solid clay, and when it rains you get a film of water over it about 20mm thick, depending on how much it rains. More than 40mm and its not much fun (gets boggy), and less than 10 its not wet enough to do this, you grip too much. Because of the clay, it doesnt make it boggy, just slippery. That pic was taken in 2nd gear, tacho showing about 4 - 5k rpm. Its not big enough of an area to get into safely into 3rd.

Problem is the 4WD guys have seen us doing this and think its a great lurk to do it themselves. But instead of waiting a few days for it to look like this, they do it the day after the rain, when its got lots of water on it. So instead of sliding across the surface like we do in road cars, they carve it up and put trenches everywhere, destroying it for everyone else.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 31 Oct 2012

On a claypan near where I live. Out in the sticks, about 2 - 3 days after we got some rain. Its solid clay, and when it rains you get a film of water over it about 20mm thick, depending on how much it rains. More than 40mm and its not much fun (gets boggy), and less than 10 its not wet enough to do this, you grip too much. Because of the clay, it doesnt make it boggy, just slippery. That pic was taken in 2nd gear, tacho showing about 4 - 5k rpm. Its not big enough of an area to get into safely into 3rd.

Problem is the 4WD guys have seen us doing this and think its a great lurk to do it themselves. But instead of waiting a few days for it to look like this, they do it the day after the rain, when its got lots of water on it. So instead of sliding across the surface like we do in road cars, they carve it up and put trenches everywhere, destroying it for everyone else.

Thats sweeet! Sucks about 4WD'ers -_- Going to go find myself some clay pans near me now!!

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 05 Nov 2012

Careful. Some pans are salt, but with a thin layer of dust/dirt over the top. Make sure its a proper clay pan BEFORE you put the car on it. Otherwise, good luck getting it back out once it breaks the hard layer on the surface.

Edit - Oh, just saw your location. I very much doubt you will find any near you. I live 6 hours north of adelaide in the desert, so we have a few that are large enough to get a car onto.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 07 Nov 2012

Careful. Some pans are salt, but with a thin layer of dust/dirt over the top. Make sure its a proper clay pan BEFORE you put the car on it. Otherwise, good luck getting it back out once it breaks the hard layer on the surface.

Edit - Oh, just saw your location. I very much doubt you will find any near you. I live 6 hours north of adelaide in the desert, so we have a few that are large enough to get a car onto.

Haha ended up finding a nice gravel 'pan' in a friends backyard yesterday. Power steering was not a fan so stopped that activity quickly. I imagine living in the desert would present many opportunities for some fun activities ! You almost sound as if you are speaking from experience when you say, check for salt haha ;)

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 07 Nov 2012

Haha, gravel is good, but flicks everywhere. yea, power steering does not like this in the dry. Hehehe, I have heard of people getting 10km out on lake torrens and then breaking through it. They didnt get their car back. I have also seen a VZ maloo ute try it, and did the same thing (elsewhere though). Although he was lucky and got it back minus a front bumper with the help of some mates. Was getting around roxby with no front bumper for about 6 months afterwards. Thankfully I havent done it.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 07 Nov 2012

Luckily it had just rained so not too much dust and debris haha :) Have a loose drivers side drive shaft, just rattled like craaazzy :o 10k's out... Talk about having a sh*t one ! Classic Holden driver...AWD is where it's at ;)

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 07 Nov 2012

Nice car :D me likey!

I've done many a circle work on grass. that seems the easiest without the risk of damage or salt or bogging down. there are a few new estates near me and there is cleared land that has grass. just have to pick the one without the plumbing. also sand is fun. got almost bogged once so i just floored it. the people next to me having lunch next to their camper van had a nice 'sandwich'. :blush:

offroad is the best!!

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 09 Nov 2012

Nice car :D me likey!

I've done many a circle work on grass. that seems the easiest without the risk of damage or salt or bogging down. there are a few new estates near me and there is cleared land that has grass. just have to pick the one without the plumbing. also sand is fun. got almost bogged once so i just floored it. the people next to me having lunch next to their camper van had a nice 'sandwich'. :blush:

offroad is the best!!

Yeah grass would be the easiest. Especially when it's wet! Although you're game doing it in a new estate. Would only take one neighbor to make a quick call the the fuzz and your gone haha! I'm sure the campers thoroughly enjoyed their lunch after you were finished :sarcastic:

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 09 Nov 2012

nah theres no houses around yet. its just newly paved streets, with the gutters you can drive up, no people or other motorists. but the guys who like to race have cottoned on to it also. so now the cops also know. bloody ricer honda fags

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 09 Nov 2012

nah theres no houses around yet. its just newly paved streets, with the gutters you can drive up, no people or other motorists. but the guys who like to race have cottoned on to it also. so now the cops also know. bloody ricer honda fags

Haha Damn VTEC!!! :dash2:

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 17 Nov 2012

So found my steering problem. Air in the lines... After speaking again with my Subaru mechanic. Apparently the standard oil used in the power steering is very prone to getting hot and air rating itself. So he suggested using some synthetic oil and see how that goes. This along with the fact the the hose clamps on the the bottle and power steering pump where knackered (could pull the main hose off the pump with little to no effort! So some worm drive clamps have been placed, system bled, and now the fluttering almost ceases to exist!

Also installed some LED foot well lighting last weekend:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 17 Nov 2012

Nice mate, I actually quite like that. Your going to have to keep your carpet ultra clean now! Haha not something I could maintain

Nice mate, I actually quite like that. Your going to have to keep your carpet ultra clean now! Haha not something I could maintain

Cheers mate. I try my best to keep my car clean so hopefully it won't be too hard haha

Bad news though. My frist cat decided to spill it's guts through the rest of the exhaust, as a result. 1.6 Barina's can put me to shame on a 'left lane eds after lights' situation :( I'm guessing it will have blocked up the what looks to be like a second cat (EJ251)? So for now to make it drivable for the weekend i am just going to have to punch the cats out, and get it fixed asap this week!!

Got an RFRB Grill of a member from here called Jem.

Installed it. Got Bitchezz

Posted Image

Adam's Photo Adam 17 Nov 2012

Bitchezz

Pics?