Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

YYsXeHF.jpg

jgonY4B.jpg
(That boot space!)

Say Hello to my 2001 H6 Outback, Carolina!

Cost me only $1200, 275,000km, Unregistered, Two sunroofs, a set of forester rims with brand new tyres, a set of original rims with extremely bald tyres and the catch is... t

Blown Head Gasket

Coolant is disappearing, car is overheating, white smoke and water coming out of the exhaust according to the previous owner but for $1200, I really cannot complain.

Girlfriend and I made a plan to swap the engine for a used EZ30 with lower KM, because fixing a HG on a 275,000km engine seemed not worth it. 

So week by week I'll start taking off bits of the engine bay to get the engine out.

This is a first for me, never done an engine swap but hopefully these forums, service manual and my friend who builds nissans will give me invaluable info :)

---------------

Today I took out the air intake system (except the intake manifold, getting those heat shields are a pain in the ass).

2ajY0Dk.jpg
(Just an engine bay photo, forgot to take a picture after I took out the air system)

Question are these cable ties factory? I think not.

8MhnEHK.jpg

-------------------------------------

Anyway, this my first ever subaru! I always thought It would be a WRX but I'm pretty stoked to get my hands dirty and get this car ready!

#2 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Bargain!

If you've got half a clue, handy with a wrench, an engine crane and have a workshop manual, removing Subaru engines is pretty easy.

Enjoy. :)

OEM+

#3 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Bargain!

If you've got half a clue, handy with a wrench, an engine crane and have a workshop manual, removing Subaru engines is pretty easy.

Enjoy. :)

Got socket and wrenches, workshop manual and half a clue :) Need a crane though :(

This H6 just takes up so much room like no wonder it's better to yank the engine out to do something like a head gasket, it is such a pain to get to those heat shields and hoses are everywhere!

#4 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

Dude which city are you in?

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

score!

ditto - where are you? Plenty of cranes about which can be borrowed for a six pack.

#6 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

I live like 10 mins from the Sydney cbd :)

You guys are giving me so much reassurance about the amount I paid for the car :)

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Church - you're welcome to come and borrow my engine hoist -- I'm up in the Hornsby area.

Could even arrange to bring it into work (Macq Park) if that's easier for you.

#8 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

Church - you're welcome to come and borrow my engine hoist -- I'm up in the Hornsby area.

Could even arrange to bring it into work (Macq Park) if that's easier for you.

Really? Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the offer! I'll pm you when I'm up to the stage of pulling out the engine :) is it foldable and could fit in a Mazda 3?

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

ahh... that's the catch. It's not a new style foldable one, but a collapsible.

Picture of it here: http://www.subyclub....on/#entry488936

should fit into the back of a Mazda 3 if you fold the seats down.

#10 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Going to tackle the cooling system this saturday, should be fun :)

Does anybody know a good wreckers where I can get an EZ30D? I've been looking at onboost at Revesby, going to give them a call today, JJauto has two for around $2100 and benny has told me they've got none atm, emailed alldrivesubaroo and got quoted around $3K for a rebuilt engine with 8 months warranty.

Has anyone dealt with these guys or suggestion on other companies?

Also do you guys release the fuel pressure when doing an engine swap?

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

sgspartsplus.com.au have EZ30's listed for ~$2.5k.

$3k for a rebuilt engine sounds pretty good compared to that -- can they sell you a short block or take your motor in exchange for a bit less cash?

#12 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

sgspartsplus.com.au have EZ30's listed for ~$2.5k.

$3k for a rebuilt engine sounds pretty good compared to that -- can they sell you a short block or take your motor in exchange for a bit less cash?

I don't know if they can. I've only heard good reviews with All Wheel Drive Subaroo. I would ask them if I go with them.

JJautos might be the go to atm, onboost dont have any in stock.

#13 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

Got quoted $1700 for an engine and extra 1000 for fitting. General jap spares in Cabramatta their called. Might go this route.

#14 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Update time!

Didn't do much in terms of taking stuff out, but wanted to inspect the car to see if I need to replace anything, other than the engine.

A7mNysv.jpg

hxMMKy0.jpg

These are the brake rotors, they've got some weird rust on the edge and while it might pass some dodgy blue slip, I'll replace those with new brake pads. Was quite happy that these are big rotors with some two pots on.

C1h7x3D.jpg

One of the engine mounts might have a tear in it, will know when I pull the engine out but if does have a split, i'll replace them both while they're out

0BeriPN.jpg

The steering rack boots are not split from what I can tell, one seems to be replaced, so no need to replace any of that.

SQTpvLb.jpg

Front swaybar is showing it's age, but most likely will be replacing it with a whiteline one budget permitting.

Sidenote:

Didn't have any good pics of the lower ball joint or tie rod end etc. but all of them are not split and they look like they've all been replaced with new ones so yay for me

IQe3Zgf.jpg

Found this smige of oil above the oil filter on the driver side manifold, might be a leak in the rocker cover but not gonna worry about that since the engine will be replaced anyway.

UILz3nA.jpg

Now this puzzled me since I've only seen the bottom of an EZ36 on mightycarmods. Does the exhaust ports all collect on one exhaust manifold on each side? Was expecting three tubes coming off the bottom and collecting into one, but it seems that the exhaust just bolts up to head.

VtQRxAw.jpg

Was quite annoyed at this, the power steering reservoir is way over filled, not only that the auto trans fluid and oil is way overfilled. Will be doing a complete fluid change.

wJGN2A1.jpg

This is the engine right now, air intake system is out, maybe saturday all the ancillaries, release fuel pressure and radiator will come out.

Question: Do I really have to de-gas the AC? I've been told just to not unbolt any of the tubes that are connected to the AC compressor at all and put it aside.

In a nutshell,

• Rotors and Pads will be replaced
  • All fluids will be replaced
  • Front suspension is actually in good nick.

#15 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

EZ30D has single port exhaust. Its one of the short comings. Yes for the AC just unbolt the compressor off the block and rest it into the side of the bay.

tIeW8DE.png

#16 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

Update time

So got up early in the morning, to start on the power steering unit. I've made a mistake and unbolted the hoses that connect to the pw reservoir, luckily only some dripped out and bolted back in tight. The service manual pointed right at that bolt, but it really meant two bolts at the back connected to the block.

Later on, I drained the radiator and took it out, the service manual had something called 'ATC hoses' which when I pulled them out spurted black/brownish fluid which felt like oil? Can someone explain?

RcqZTb7.jpg

When taking off the driver's side top radiator hose, the inside was just disgusting, rusty and sludgy, further confirms the blown head gasket?

Also took off the alternator plug and battery. I uncliped the plug literately just pushed in the tab that holds it then this happens.

irQMUuM.jpg

Probably will just epoxy it back or re-wire with a new plug (yes, I will crimp it on).

Now, I've run into a predicament of taking off the AC unit, (yes duncanm, I know I should de-gas the AC), Can someone run me through taking off the AC compressor without unbolting any of the hoses? If not, I'll just get it de-gased (I don't need the engine running right?) 

It seems that there are metal hoses connected to a secondary cooler/radiator? Is it safe to unbolt?

Juy4vDc.jpg

lPwoDrw.jpg

KL9FJXM.jpg

And this is how the engine bay sits for now:

n8rsKhv.jpg

I've got to say, I'm learning about where things go and where things a bolted, and subaru engine bays are tight.

Getting closer and closer to getting that engine removed, progress week by week :)

#17 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

ATC = Auto transmission cooling

#18 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

ATC = Auto transmission cooling

Ahh thanks for clearing that up :) Is that just the auto trans fluid going through the radiator?

#19 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yep

#20 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

Good progress.

while you've got the donk out, check the steering rack bushes - they often get soft with age and oil exposure.

The Auto Trans runs through the rad to warm it up to operating temp quickly more than anything, I think. Provides some cooling effect, but not enough if you're giving the trans a hard workout with sand driving or heavy towing.

I think you can just unbolt the AC compressor and pull it aside without disconnecting the system to get the donk out. The condensor (other radiator thing with hard lines) just stays in place. No need to degas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbo, family, swap, conversion, wrx, outback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users