• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

Aaaand... we welcome a new subaru member to our family :D  

My sister got a job that had a company car so she let the rego lapse on Sheldon, her old L series touring wagon (build thread/story on ausubaru.com.

Now she's moving jobs, only about 4 months since the rego lapsed, and no car with the new job.  With a quick check over Sheldon and some talking we decided on something newer.  I was aiming for a Gen3 Outback, but none were cheap when we were looking, but this Gen3 Liberty came up for an top price with a shot clutch - an RX too:

4zNINr.jpg

I've already pulled the engine to find it's got a dual mass flywheel.  There's a solid Gen2 flywheel and clutch setup headed this way very shortly ($60 from pick-a-part :D).  Engine bay after a good spray up with cleaner and pressure washer - still dirty as but way better than it was!

Uy3A0x.jpg

I did the easiest driveshaft removal ever - knock the pins out, undo the hub bolt, push the gearbox one way, remove the shaft on the side the box was moved away from, then did the same on the other side.  Awesome.  Now to wait for the new boots to arrive to replace the generic stretchy boots that are on there now...

Downers, missing/bad paint on the front bumper and a decent ding under the rear right hand tail light.  Dunno what we're going to do there just yet, it's still TBA.

It came with a set of factory weather shields, something I've not seen before (in factory trim):

apxUlA.jpg

I certainly didn't know they were a factory option, I've seen other ones that I believe are aftermarket units.  These have "Subaru" embossed in them:

8GZrvJ.jpg

One thing that's got me concerned is a little (very small but still) puddle of oil on the passenger's bank with the engine sitting on the garage floor.  It's an EJ251.  I'm worried it's a HG issue.  Can anyone confirm?

Also what is the difference between the RX model and the non-RX model other than side skirts and rims (that are long gone on this RX)?

Other details:  Some form of WRX rims as pictured.
330k km
Gen3 RX in Mica Green

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

Looks good Bennie,

RX has electronic climate control, fog lamps and the 2.5lt engine.

Them's the main things anyway.

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Beckers.  It's rocking the EJ251 ;)

Are the front and rear bumpers different to other wagon models of the same generation?

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

Not sure about the bumpers m8, front one might be different because fog lamps.

I think the side skirts are different on the rx also.

#5 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:31 AM

For the HG check the rear of the passenger head. 99% of gen 3 HG leak from there.

With changing front bumper you'll need to find a Rev A-C (98 - early 01 build dates). Sedan and wagons bars both fit just have a different look.

Rev D/E will bolt up but won't fit properly due to small design differences in the facelift.

Rear bumper is the same across Gen 3

#6 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

Weather shields are indeed a genuine factory option and can still be purchased new from Subaru for Gen3 wagons.

OEM+

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Good to know Cruisin. Until we looked at this Gen3 I've never noticed them - I guess it comes back to what you notice once you know about it! I know of Monsoons (earlier this year) but didn't know about these, I found it interesting anyway, and a bonus.

For the HG check the rear of the passenger head. 99% of gen 3 HG leak from there.

Thanks Reevesy! We've got an oil leak in this spot you mention. Bummer. Will doing a HG swap sort this oil leak? If so I might as well do it now while the engine is out. And what's the likely good of the leak reoccurring again?

With changing front bumper you'll need to find a Rev A-C (98 - early 01 build dates). Sedan and wagons bars both fit just have a different look.
Rev D/E will bolt up but won't fit properly due to small design differences in the facelift.
Rear bumper is the same across Gen 3

Awesome. Thanks again! Now I'll know what I'm chasing if we replace the front bar.

Basil copped a wash yesterday and looks tops now. But I have found about 4 tiny rust spots on the roof where you can see it working under the paint :( Is this a common issue with the Gen3s? It's a bit of a downer as I hate rust and I know it's only going to get worse if we leave it.
To spray the roof the bars need to come off. To get the bars off the roof lining needs to come out :/ This seems like a massive task :(

We'll see what happens on this with time.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#8 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Awesome. Thanks again! Now I'll know what I'm chasing if we replace the front bar.

Hey Bennie,

If you replace the front bumper don't throw the out one out, as I need some bits off it. Just keep me in mind.

I'm about to change my roof bars to the GTB style low profile type. let me know if ya need my old roof bars etc.

#9 ChrisLovell

ChrisLovell

Southwest Mexican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports and flying

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

Weather shields are indeed a genuine factory option and can still be purchased new from Subaru for Gen3 wagons.

I got told different :(

outback Rs edit

Threads: Chris' MY01 Outback

Chris' MY93 RS Turbo

#10 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

Question for Reevesy (or anyone who knows for that matter): while I replace the HGs is there anything I can do to help stop the oil leak returning in the future?

Another one about the face lift model differences: major interior components different or the same?
I need a rear right seatbelt as I discovered ours has a cut halfway through the strap at one point. Painful but need to sort it out.

I'm waiting on some parts to arrive by Friday as I'm hoping to have the engine back together and installed by the end of the weekend. I want to replace the other front shaft that's waiting to be rebooted with fresh boots.

Otherwise not much else going on. If anyone has a rim the same as in the pics floating around that's not needed pls let me know as I think one might be buckled. It's certainly got some nasty gutter gouging that's occurred at some point.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#11 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

Progress hasn't been as good as I'd hoped today:

I failed to notice I didn't order inlet manifold gaskets, so have some on order from the local dealership

I spent too much time running around doing errands this morning :/

While cleaning the last remaining drive shaft, the outer joint was very gritty with its split boot.  I pulled it apart, cleaned it out, took some time to remember how to put it all back together then broke the C clip that keeps the outer joint on the shaft - can't use the angle grinder as it was too late at night...

Earlier in the arvo I also ran into some impossibly tight bolts on the cam wheels.  This was my solution to get them undone, and torqued up once the seals were replaced:

DSntIS.jpg

I'm hoping to have the engine back in the car tomorrow, then wait for the inlet gaskets to rock up and drop the manifold and intake pipework on.

Then I've only got these things to do:

- swap steering rack boots

- replace rear seatbelt 

- give it a wash

- book a RWC

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

Smashing it.

Go Bennie!

#13 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

Smashing it.
Go Bennie!

Trying my best ;) hopefully there won't be any actual smashing of it!!

A no pic update (need to upload the end result pic):

Sunday the weather turned on me - rain rain rain. Considering I was working out side this was not good news for me. I made a shelter with Ruby Scoo and a tarp. This gave me the afternoon to work in relatively dry conditions :D

That L series shaft was a right royal PITA to sort out. The angle grinder sorted it - that's the reference to not being able to use it in my last late night update. Part of the C clip had been pinched so I cut that bit off. It worked a treat and the liberty shaft went together very quickly after this.

One tip when putting the outer CV back together from individual parts - use lube, it makes it heaps easier and things actually go back together ;)

I got the Gen2 solid flywheel and pressure plate fitted no problem. I got a new disc for piece of mind. The old disc (looks good) might end up in the RS if it fits.

All went together well. Having the intake manifold removed makes fitment of the AC compressor VERY simple!

Now to fit:

- intake manifold
- intake air ducting system
- PS pump (need to replace the hose to the remote reservoir)
- new spark plug leads (plugs already done).

Radiator is fitted.

Steering boots need replacing (have them ready to go).

Then decide on what to do about tyres - swap with the RS or go and get a new set of tyres on the current rim.

Looking forward to starting this very soon.

Also want to throw a set of uel extractors at it to make it real Suby again...

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#14 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

Very nice Bennie...

Sounds like its coming along nicely...

#15 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Sounds like its coming along nicely...

Yeah hoping it will.  Tomorrow will be the big day - those inlet manifold gaskets should be ready to pick up which means I'm hoping to get my hands dirty tomorrow night :D

Here's where it's at - this is the pic at the end of the Sunday efforts:

cjH25y.jpg

The lib looks a lot better with the engine in - I think it's got a lot to do with the front end sitting how it should.  It definitely looks the part in the back yard ;)

I should get a pic of that too!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#16 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Sweet....

I say there would be a few suby's hanging around....

#17 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

Sweet....

I say there would be a few suby's hanging around....

Yeah you could say that about our place!

Today I got the inlet manifold gaskets :D

Here's the end result:

teHXjX.jpg

6cIg8p.jpg

Very stoked.  It's got quite a bit of poke when you nail it!  Pretty happy about that.

So the Gen2 solid flywheel and pressure plate worked a treat in the Gen3 ;)

Now my list is some what shorter:

- steering rack boots

- seat belt

- tyres - but am now thinking of giving these current ones a go in the RWC check.  Worst case scenario we need to get new tyres - which is what we plan to do anyway.  Getting a few k's from these ones would be an advantage.

That's it for now.  Further updates will come in the next week or two.  I'm looking at tidying up the ding on the rear quarter panel, otherwise it'll never get done I reckon!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#18 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Awesome stuff Bennie...

Glad to see it back together and up and running....

#19 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Yeah it's :fork: 'n awesome Moto!

Sorry to say, but just moving it around the back yard I reckon I've become attached to it  :sarcastic:

Steering rack boots are done.  The replacements are a little shorter than I'd really like but I'll work with that for the sake of a RWC to get this on the road!

The seat belt is definitely going to be an issue:

LjGYIU.jpg

I didn't get a pic before I removed the interior, but you could very obviously see it from outside the vehicle.  This is the current hold up on the RWC efforts.  A bit of an effort just to get to the seat belt!

ypMARr.jpg

I also looked at the tyres a little more closely.  They won't pass - the rear right is a little scrubbed out the outer edge for my liking.  They'll be swapped with the RS rims for now.

Keen as mustard to have this rego'd.  I saw a really sweet one while I was driving around for work this arvo - burgundy and very clean.  Noice ;)

I'm keen to just take it for a drive to get to know it a bit better - and to let the HGs settle in.  While moving it around the back yard I avoid a quick start up and shut down - I leave it with the AC cranked low to vary the idle.

I've "tucked" into the rear ding to make it a bit more presentable.  This is before:

mbEp6Y.jpg

ODfE25.jpg

V2jWOx.jpg

ISocRN.jpg

This is the work in progress.  Most of it done with the Gen2 clutch fork that dad got with the flywheel and pressure plate - it was the right shape for the job at the time:

WThZPB.jpg

hMrmfS.jpg

obCJhO.jpg

I need to sit the tail light back in place to see how it's going.  I feel it needs a bit more shaping before I start the rust repair and sealing of the metal to avoid further rusting of this area.  I don't know if we'll ever repair the actual paint colour - time will tell.

The AC climate control in this thing is mental - it drops the temp quickly and blows like a bloody cylone on the north coast of qld.  Awesome on a warm day like today!  You actually leave the car to thaw out  B)

I think that's about it for now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#20 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

Looking good with it's big sister in the background:

tD6SRp.jpg

Since I had the RS out for a wash, Basil swapped boots and now looks like this:

xNfhBW.jpg

He also copped an under bonnet wash to finish off the engine bay work.

Meeting extended family:

vU21nc.jpg

Better pics with the 17s fitted.  I'm hoping these are not too large for RWC - they're only 1 inch larger in rim diametre so should be fine:

iyJ1Aw.jpg

And another pic just because:

4up01o.jpg

I think the rims look better on the Gen3 than they do on the RS... will have to see what Sis reckons as I'm not particularly attached to these rims.

Now to sort out the seat belt.  Anyone got a rear right hand seat belt available?

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen3 Liberty, Gen 3 Liberty, Gen 3, Gen3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users