• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Robert.

I've got 7 days to have the vehicle back in for inspection otherwise they sting me another $177 for a new RWC check >:( It used to be 28 days, even 14 would be reasonable. But I guess this is where they also drum up business as a "side effect" to Vicroads changing the policy.

I think for us it'll be nolathane bushes.

Are the old ones "easy" to push out with their shell? I'm wondering what would be best - three piece bushes or complete with the outer metal shell?

Who's removed the whole bush with the outer shell before?

And Reeveys, that'd be awesome - I wonder if Australia post can actually move something in a decent time frame?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#42 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

Ok so the rear bushes seem to be ok - for the second place I took the car to. With the house move on the go I didn't have time to work on the list of "issues" the first place gave me. I spoke with dad who suggested I put it in at a place he trusts. Bingo it passed after the replacement of the wiper blades and the welding of a hole in the exhaust.

I've got the spigot adaptors (already on the car) and wheel nuts on their way.

Sis is stoked with it and has already done a trip to Melbs for the tennis, then 3hrs back home. She's very happy with the performance and economy of the 25, and same for the comfort and handling. Remember she had an L series as her last car!

She dropped in on the new pad - I honestly don't remember the exhaust being so loud after the uel mod, but it sounds awesome! Sis hasn't noticed :D
I've seen another Gen3 RX wagon in white that lives down the end of my street, it buzzes past a few times a day but lacks that subi rumble that the UELs give. So glad I did it to my sister's Lib, makes them right in my book!

So she's put the best part of 500km on Basil over the weekend and is stoked, which means I'm stoked with it too.

I'll have to get a pic of Basil now that he's rego'd ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#43 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Good to hear Bennie....

#44 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

She's pretty stoked and did actually notice the note change - at least she tells me she did!

Sis is getting consistent 8.6 to 8.9L per 100km. I'm very happy with those results. Now I'm hoping that keeps up that way and that the vehicle is issue free for a long time to come!

No pic yet, I haven't seen the car since the last post above :(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#45 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

So lucky me has Basil for the next week :D

Long story short I didn't get Mrs El Freddo's car back together over the long weekend.  So a "quick" road trip to Cohuna and back has us Basil :D

Only one bush rat pic at the moment - this is on a back road picking wild fig and pears that we came across on the way up there:

kmQfOQ.jpg

As you can see Basil is currently full bush spec!

I really enjoyed driving Basil home, but found some of the roads really boring in a vehicle that felt like it wanted to sit another 40km above the limit...

:D  He's just arrived home again.  Such a good note with those UELs!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#46 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Also, can anyone advise a good Penrite oil to run in the 25?

I need to do an oil change!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#47 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

Cohuna...... Haven't been there in years. I was Born in Kerang.....

OEM+

#48 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Cohuna...... Haven't been there in years. I was Born in Kerang.....

You poor bugger (joke)!

Do you know the Kerang pub on the main drag burnt down a few years back? I never got a chance to check it out as we were always on a mission to get somewhere :(

No advice on what oil to use?? Looks like I'll be leaving it up to the little guide device they have in sca...

Also, I've got a code for a started circuit short - common issue or any suggestion on where to start looking for this issue?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#49 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

How many k's ?

Hpr10 suits most ej's

#50 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thank Robert. Its got 330k-340k km on the clock. And it still pulls like a freight train :D

I don't know when the last oil change occurred as I kept the oil that the previous owner used in there. With the move and push for rego it's something that was on the to do list. Good thing was the oil was golden and clear. Now it's pretty dark and in obvious need of an oil change.

It's done some k's in the two or so months since sis started driving it...

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#51 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

I'd still run hpr10
Especially since it's coming into winter

If your not keen on a full synthetic an everyday 10w40 would do
Or even 15w40

#52 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

It's running full synthetic but I've always run full mineral oils.

Looking at the Penrite website oil recommendation guide all of our vehicles have a common oil or two - the HPR 10 or the 10w-40 semi synthetic.

I'm no oil expert and have always run the 20w-60 "extra 10" full mineral in Ruby Scoo (EJ22) and our VT. The VT loves it and I've run it in the 22 due to the nature of offroad use and some of the temps the oil has to perform under. After commuting daily in it I'm wondering if my fuel economy is suffering with this oil.

Anyway, something to look at with the 22's next oil change. I'm sure there's a thread on here to find on this subject that I'll have to read up about.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#53 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

I run HPR10. My 20K which is renowned for spinning bearings hasnt done that yet so it must be doing something right

tIeW8DE.png

#54 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Ok, so it ended up that the last three weekends there's been a visit to Cohuna!

The week after the pic above in the last post, we had to return Basil to my sis as she was back at work.  The trick was completing suspension work on the VT (all rear bushes replaced and the last lot on the front end done too).  Basil got an oil change - I've moved to 10W-40 semi synthetic.

One late night trip and here they were the morning after on the Gunbower Island:

SKhOO6.jpg

^ I have to remind myself that both vehicles are of the same age, I keep thinking that the liberty is younger...

Probably one of my favourite pics of Basil to date:

noAJLU.jpg

^ The rear patch on the body damage is really easy to see when he's clean and the paint shows its metallic as the sun brings it out.  It's also very easy to see when the car is clean!  But still much better than having left it.

qNh6G8.jpg

We took a little trip into Cohuna itself.  The town was quite sleepy on this Sunday morning:

ebmwlr.jpg

While we were off to the shop, Basil "made a friend" (just like my sister, leave them for a minute and they know someone new!):

a5PSZe.jpg

We left Basil and a week later I was back again, in Basil (big car shuffle happened), to pick up my sister's better half and head off to my brother's wedding at Mt Hotham.  On the drive up there I got the best fuel economy seen so far at 8.2L/100km with sis's drive down and my drive up to Cohuna, fill up was in Echuca (good fuel price).

We did a bit of shared driving, then at Harrietville I got back in the driver's seat to have some fun heading up the Mt.  We left Harrietville at a bit after 7:15pm and arrived at Dinner Plain (for dinner of course!) at 7:55pm.  It was a nice run.  At the point of Australia's highest sealed road (1850m) I snapped a few pics - it was later than I was hoping but anyway, it still looks pretty good I reckon:

S0axIs.jpg

^ Mt Feathertop off to the right in the pic

tiJ3OY.jpg

^ Mt Buffalo in the centre of pic with dusk above it.

Chilling out in Hotham Heights near Fountains and the Arlberg:

bXdCkd.jpg

loD5KO.jpg

And quite a special event I guess - up on the Summit of Mt Hotham, not many vehicles get access up here, let alone a road going liberty.  At this point he was playing chauffeur for guests at the wedding.

clSfPA.jpg

Once off the Mt and re-fuelled, we (read: I) got the worst economy we've seen so far - 9.2L/100km.  Pretty stoked about that considering heading up the Mt was generally half to WOT with a driving style trying to keep revs above 3500rpm.  I have wondered if my sister filled it to the brim like I do, as this can have an effect on the figures.  Either way it'd still be near the 10L/100km.  

With those fuel figures I'm pretty stoked.  I was worried that the 2.5L would be thirstier than the L series and end up costing my sister more in fuel than she would've with retaining the L.  So glad we moved up a number of pegs to the Liberty and I also love the Gen 3 shape, probably the best of the Libertys I reckon.

A few things will need to be done soon.  The rear muffler will need replacing, it's rusted quite badly now, this happened quicker than I expected.  The front struts are probably about due for replacement, with 340kkm on the clock they've done well.  I found a hole in the exhaust that was cut by the dudes that welded the hole they found during the RWC.  That's ironic.

I've not driven the EJ20 version of this vehicle, but if anyone is looking for a Gen 3 liberty I'd recommend going the EJ25 RX model for the get up and go and the other little extras that come in this spec.

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#55 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hey Bennie, 

I'm lovin your gen 3 comments.

I have a standard gen 3 wagon muffler you can have if ya want it.

Hell I have heaps of 2.5 na stuff, do you need anything else ??

#56 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

G'day Beckers,

I might grab that rear muffler from you as a tide over to getting a replacement lukey sorted - this will allow me to spread costs over a larger period of time :D

I was after a set of factory extractors and mid pipe as I'm looking at modifying the L's exhaust to be very similar for ease of replacement parts - and for a better subi beat. I also think that the size of my exhaust is too big and that I should've gone for a 2 inch system instead of a 2.25 inch.

Other than that we're pretty good for parts at the moment. I raided pick a part's mad Monday yesterday and came out WELL on top. So Basil will be getting a few replacement parts added soon - basic things like the air vent in the centre dash that's broken. A set of driving lights will be added and a factory fog light switch will be used as the in cab switch.

Also a side note. Anyone after an RX front bar, there's a very straight one on a sedan, 2000 model (I'm not up with all the revision changes in this model yet - but I remember someone mentioning they were on the hunt for a front bar) at pick a part campbellfield.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#57 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

Got a complete gen3 wagon exhaust, come and take it away m8

#58 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:38 PM

Anyone got a schematic of the fog light switch for the Gen3?  I've got a little project on the go that's relying on this switch being wired in.  Pics of the completed project will be included once it's done ;)

Got a complete gen3 wagon exhaust, come and take it away m8

I'll send you a PM mate!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#59 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Anyone got a schematic of the fog light switch for the Gen3?  I've got a little project on the go that's relying on this switch being wired in.  Pics of the completed project will be included once it's done ;)

I'll send you a PM mate!

Cheers

Bennie

When you drop past next week, bring a memory stick and i will give ya a copy of the gen3 service manual.

#60 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

I'll be sure to do that Beckers!

Bloody weather has pissed me off for a day and a bit so far. Tomorrow I reckon it'll be two days and a bit >:(

The driving ligh install has been very painful so far - the front of the liberty is a challenge to get a nice position sorted for the driving lights. Being that I'm using a some second hand light force driving lights (small ones), their design makes the lights protrude out a lot further than their mounting point. Keeping them in close without blocking radiator airflow is a challenge.

I feel that I've got a solution as to how to mount them with minimum framework that could be an eyesore. Function over form but I would like this looking decent too!

Bloody weather :(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen3 Liberty, Gen 3 Liberty, Gen 3, Gen3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users