#83 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Im liking your progress Sam.

Thanks mate.

Spoke to Al, he said he's working on the loom tomorrow, should have it back by Friday.

Waiting for the new turbo to arrive so we can stick it on, and then put the gearbox back on the engine and put the engine back in the vehicle. As well as the dump pipe.
Shouldn't be too long now.

Will be getting Murcury Motorsport to tune it for me when it's done. :)

[03.SUBY]

#84 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

awesome progress Sam, she's getting close! when you thinking you'll have it back on the road?

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#85 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Just spoke to DJA about the turbo, he sent it today, I'm hoping if it arrives tomorrow, I will be putting the turbo straight on the engine, and the gearbox back on too, then all we have to do it bung that into the car, attach the driveshaft, and then wait for the loom to come back.
Put the loom in, plug everything in, make sure all hoses and everything is connected.
Dash back together, and then get a straight pipe and cat made up. Put diff back on, then all the oils into everything

Hopefully by then, we should be cranking it over :) And ready for a tune
[03.SUBY]

#86 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Your spinning scanners on this yourself? (with help of others)?

#87 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Put diff back on

Wa?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#88 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wa?

Sorry, diff back exhaust hahaha

Your spinning scanners on this yourself? (with help of others)?

Correct, some afternoons after work for like 2-3 hours each.
It's good fun, such a good learning experience for subarus :)
[03.SUBY]

#89 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

who is tuning it?

MY07 GT spec B

#90 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Tessa and Trent Whyte who own Mercury Motorsport in Brisbane are coming down to Coffs on the 28th of this month to do some Dyno tuning on a local dyno.
I have asked Tessa to be on the list for this and she said its fine.
:)
[03.SUBY]

#91 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Respect for spinning spanners yourself.

Cool learning experience, huh?

Makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into these cars a whole lots more! Especially if you've played with other cars too!

(I reckon this forum would be a whole lot of a better place if they did what you're doing right now!!)

#92 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Respect for spinning spanners yourself.

Cool learning experience, huh?

Makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into these cars a whole lots more! Especially if you've played with other cars too!

(I reckon this forum would be a whole lot of a better place if they did what you're doing right now!!)

Yeah definately, I have already leaned so much about not only the engine, but where things are on the car/engine, what things do, how to take them off (like the turbo/BOV etc), whats involved with doing an engine conversion. So much more to learn but its such an interesting time!

I cant wait until we have finished the conversion, and I get a tune on it and learn more about turbocharged vehicles.

Very, very awesome learning experience, well worth the money I have spent so far.

Id recommend doing something like this if youre a noob like me, makes you stand back and admire the work that youre actually doing yourself.
[03.SUBY]

#93 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I think you'll find most people on here aren't afriad to get their hands dirty, just newbs :P we did the power steering pump on my mates WRX a few weeks ago and I was pretty proud of the outcome. Have worked on cars with my father, usually just regular servicing. Subaru's are really easy to work on and have a big communty so its a nice place to learn. Not everyone is in a position they can go ahead with such a project, so I think talking down to people because they haven't rebuilt their car is a bit harsh - unless they are blatently retarded.

Pretty sure we'll need a video of skidz once it is running.

#94 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

I think you'll find most people on here aren't afriad to get their hands dirty, just newbs :P we did the power steering pump on my mates WRX a few weeks ago and I was pretty proud of the outcome. Have worked on cars with my father, usually just regular servicing. Subaru's are really easy to work on and have a big communty so its a nice place to learn. Not everyone is in a position they can go ahead with such a project, so I think talking down to people because they haven't rebuilt their car is a bit harsh - unless they are blatently retarded.

Pretty sure we'll need a video of skidz once it is running.

There's plenty here who act high and mighty here, but struggle to point to a water pump.

I think it's one of the many things that hold this forum back. A tough pill to swallow, but it's amazing to watch the transition of some members from keyboard warrior Subaru drivers, to true Subaru enthusiasts.

So I believe I am quite justified with my comments. You're not obliged to like what I have to say. It's just a mere observation, after being involved in Subaru (and other automotive make) circles for over ten years, and I was merely commending Sam for making that transition and evolving as a true enthusiast.

#95 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Kind words Alex, it's good to be shown that kind of respect by someone who has been there and done that. :)
[03.SUBY]

#96 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

VF22 turbo installed.
Gearbox back on and engine back in car on Monday night.
Loom should be back early next week :)
[03.SUBY]

#97 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Did a bit on the car tonight after work...
Put the gearbox on the engine...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then put the engine back into the car.. We lowered the whole car onto the engine and gearbox, and then bolted it in.

Posted Image

Put the driveshaft back in, heat cover on and ready to put the loom into the car as soon as it arrives, hopefully before Friday.

Radiator needs to go back in, dash after the loom goes in, then start fitting the dump pipe, rest of exhaust and top mount!
Plug everything in, fill everything with oil/fluids and we should be sorted...

One thing i was told today which i didnt quite understand though...
I was told by Ben at Ichiban that i could get a tune on the car after it was finished, but after talking to Tessa Whyte of Mercury Motorsport in Brisbane, she told me that these ECUs arent tuneable and that Id have to get an aftermarket computer...
Is this correct? Why have i heard of these ECUs being tuned before? Have i misunderstood/misinterpreted something?
[03.SUBY]

#98 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

MY04 yeah? If that's the case then yeah it is tuneable. Sounds to me like mercury are trying to sell an aftermarket ecu, install and tune

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#99 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

MY04 yeah? If that's the case then yeah it is tuneable. Sounds to me like mercury are trying to sell an aftermarket ecu, install and tune

That is exactly what Ben just said...
Are the stock ECUs tuned the same way as what an aftermarket ECU would be tuned?
[03.SUBY]

#100 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

With the mods you have, Flash tuning the factory ECU would be the most cost effective thing to do.

Awesome progress dude! You will love the 4.44 goodness ;)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen3, turbo, outback turbo, jdm, wrx, engine, conversion, STI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users