Photo

Gary's 2006 Liberty MY06 SpecB

gary Liberty MY06 garys build SpecB 2006 SpecB machine you jelly?

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#481 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

The things I cannot do on my own will be performed by the boys at ICHIban and include:

• service
  • front timing cover reseal
  • front crank seal
  • rocker cover gasket replaced (both sides)
  • oil cooler O-ring
  • remove, strip and inspect my front passenger side strut
  • new wheel hub

So the car went in earlier this week on Tuesday for the listed repairs however it came out with a slightly larger list:

• minor service
  • reseal front timing cover
  • front crank seal
  • replace both rocker cover gaskets
  • oil cooler O-ring
  • replace LHF and RHF wheel bearings
  • replace power steering pump with a genuine reconditioned one
  • replace both CV boots and transmission output seals (all genuine seals and boots)
  • replace both accessory belt idlers
  • replace slightly bent pulley

It was an expensive trip out to ICHIban this time round, but after two days of work, the car is mechanically immaculate now! I feel the car drives a lot better and things are working exactly as they should. I'm extremely happy with the workmanship and communication that the boys had with me and I appreciate all the help they have given.

I have yet to check out my strut as it seems to be knocking slightly which I purposely left for my next visit to Ben.

Next on the list is to get a few things installed including my master brake cylinder stopper, TCP quad mufflers, Xforce centre and Y-pipe, Weapon R cold air intake and my new licence plates. Pictures will be provided with these updates as they occur of course. And if you aren't already aware, I have made other arrangements with regards to my tune after not being able to meet up with Matt. I believe it will be a better choice personally than taking Matt on and I definitely will not regret it. The news will come as I get closer to that stage of course. I plan to get all of this done before the HVC so fingers crossed! :)

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#482 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Damn dude, you had a fair bit of work done.

I was gonna say your exhaust is taking forever to get installed :P

#483 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Bloody oath. But I can gladly say that everything is running schmick now. No problems whatsoever and it all has a distinctive new smell to it, ha ha. I'm so happy.

One thing at a time or I'll get over it too quickly! :P

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#484 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Those weapon r intakes aren't worth it mate.

The H6 engine bay gets very hot and they suck in all the hot air, The metal pipe also gets heat-soaked like you wouldn't believe. 

The stock box is good for some serious power.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#485 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

It's nice when you get a whole bunch of stuff fixed up. Especially wheel bearings, they really tighten up the car and make it feel like new again!

You still haven't put on the brake stopper?! it'll only be a 20min job, tops :)

#486 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Tell me about it. As much as it cost me, I don't mind if it's for the benefit of the car. I seriously doubt I'll have to spend that much on any engine work in the near future thankfully. It felt new on the way back from ICHIban, and still feels new to this day! I can't way for excuses to get in the car and just go for a drive.

I haven't man. Every time I try and make time for it something comes up. Like me getting my foglights fixed up this afternoon. I'll definitely do it this weekend though.

Those weapon r intakes aren't worth it mate.

The H6 engine bay gets very hot and they suck in all the hot air, The metal pipe also gets heat-soaked like you wouldn't believe. 

The stock box is good for some serious power.

What if I was getting it for free?

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#487 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Free doesn't change that 2nd paragraph, Gaz :)

IMO :P

Posted Image

#488 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Heat soak = High intake temps on a car that already likes to ping...

Your car's airbox already has a CAI and flows well + no po po attention. That's a win.

Sell it to some idiot :P

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#489 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Fair argument then. I'll take your word for it then man. Cheers.

Free doesn't change that 2nd paragraph, Gaz :)

IMO :P

I know I know.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#490 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

And the long wait is over! Time for an update, so be patient and if you can't be bothered reading, then look at the pretty pictures and the cool video! :)

I'm gonna start off by thanking everyone who has helped me out so far with this car. There are a few people that have definitely given me the motivation and advice to get the car where it is today, and I base that solely on SubyClub (and club.liberty) in its entirety. This is THE BEST forum, community, enthusiast group and bunch of down to Earth people I've ever met. Thank you very much guys.

Here goes nothing.

First up is the Beatrush master brake cylinder stopper I bought off Tim (thanks mate). Ever since I installed it I have noticed my brake pedal movement to be decreased substantially and braking responsiveness has improved. I have it sitting nicely on the brake cylinder, but not excessively tight so no damage is done to the brake cylinder itself (that could end up being a costly exercise). Enough chatter, here is a before and after pic.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

It sits neatly against the chassis and if you didn't know what it was, you'd think it was something that came with the car from factory. I really love the fact that the gold paint matches to that of the other factory gold bits.

I finally managed to get my self refurbished fog light installed. It completes the front end and I also installed some Philips 5000K bulbs into them. That'll be enough to light up the road! Looks a lot better than the pictures show as well, and they are definitely not as blue in person. Camera's do funny things, especially when they're on a phone.

Parker lights.

IMG_0097.jpg

Low beams.

IMG_0098.jpg

Sexy right?

Now onto the more exciting modifications.

If you haven't already seen the pic floating around, I'll give you one hint; RS-R springs.

IMG_0187.jpg

I managed to get these installed last Friday and I must say they make the car look absolutely fantastic! Here's the height comparison as close as I could get it.

Before at the 2014 SubyClub Hunter Valley Cruise.

2014-093.jpg

After, in my driveway the day after installation.

photo2.jpg

I will not be going any lower after this. It seems to me like nothing else is needed any time soon with regards to handling and suspension. The height should be close to even front and rear, I'm not sure why it looks slightly lower in the back. It could possibly be my rear shocks needing a regrease or something of the like? Possibly the camera angle?

Considering the 30-40 mm height decrease, the ride is very good! In all honesty you do notice more on the road and have to slow down a little extra when it comes to speed humps and steeper driveways or ramps, but I was prepared for that and have no problems with it. Not to mention swerving around the larger potholes and what not. It is stiffer as you would expect and cornering has become a lot better and feels more go-karty. I like it. :D

One of the best modifications I've done is FINALLY get my exhaust system together and installed. I bought the TCP Auto quad mufflers and managed to buy and install the 2.25" Xforce front muffler and Y-pipe assembly just before the Hunter Valley Cruise. A mate and I spent a night removing the stock exhaust and getting this one on. I jizzed in my pants when I turned on the car. Here's why (GoPro HERO3: Silver Edition doesn't do it justice):

And the best pic I can find of them is from the HVC (thanks Zac). I'll get a better one when I have the time.

2014-101.jpg

Last but not least, I have decided to install the Weapon R cold air intake I managed to get for free off Cliffo (thanks man)! When installing this in the carpark at a Hooters meet, the guys noticed the internal structure of the piping. It sort of had a small pipe directly through the centre of the larger pipe (what you physically see on the outside). Most of the guys found this quite weird, however the only assumption we could come up with is that it is purposely there to assist in preventing heat soak. Win. I have noticed throttle response has increased and the car really does feel less sluggish, which I am a little guilty of. My stock air filter was quite dirty and the stock system contained a few leaves and dust. :blush:

Best thing about this is that I can replace it with the stock air intake at any time I please so if things don't work out well with it, I'll just take it off.

IMG_0196.jpg

That brings us to the end of the update. I think I might start updating things as I go to avoid writing up encyclopaedic posts. As I've already mentioned, I'm extremely happy with where the car is at the moment and again, thanks to everyone who has helped on the way.

Next on the cards include:

• tune
  • window tint

That'll be all until I can save up enough money to start getting a little OCD with everything. ;)

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#491 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

So many words!!

Nice job, Gaz!

Posted Image

#492 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Good stuff Gaz.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#493 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looks pretty tidy Gaz. Keep the mods coming.

#494 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Also :fork: I want one of those STI battery tie downs now.

#495 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

God I miss that sound. It's all finally coming together for ya.

#496 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Good stuff!

#497 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

sweet as mate!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#498 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Nice, car is looking really tidy and sounds great!

#499 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ride is looking sweet. Only 1 test left... the one mine repeatedly failed and gave me the sh@#!  HOOTERS car park clearance test = ]

#500 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Ride is looking sweet. Only 1 test left... the one mine repeatedly failed and gave me the sh@#!  HOOTERS car park clearance test = ]

The ultimate test.

#rideordie :P

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gary, Liberty, MY06, garys build, SpecB, 2006 SpecB, machine, you jelly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users